+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Housing and COVID-19

giuliog

Mar 18, 2020
Hi all,

I was meant to move to Canada on the 12th of April to join my employer (work permit).

Last week I signed a tenancy agreement with a local landlord in Toronto, I wanted to know if I can request a refund or a freeze as I will not be able to physically move to Canada due to the COVID-19 virus.

Does anyone have more information on what rights I have as a tenant? My rental agreement will start on the 1st of April 2020.

Thanks,
G.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the landlord agrees, why not transfer lease/ sublet your unit to one of the people who post in this forum seeking accommodation?

giuliog

Mar 18, 2020
They have all their personal belongings in the apartment.
I do not have my belongings - I do not know how long the shortlet would last as I would arrive once the immigration ban is removed.

I am interested from a legal perspective.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not have my belongings - I do not know how long the shortlet would last as I would arrive once the immigration ban is removed.

How about on a month to month basis?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You would have to ask your landlord. Given all your stuff is in your apartment it is not really in a position to be rented out as an AirBnB or sublet even if the landlord agrees. Maybe you have a friend who could tidy up and secure all your valuables and move your everyday items

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I was meant to move to Canada on the 12th of April to join my employer (work permit).

Last week I signed a tenancy agreement with a local landlord in Toronto, I wanted to know if I can request a refund or a freeze as I will not be able to physically move to Canada due to the COVID-19 virus.

Does anyone have more information on what rights I have as a tenant? My rental agreement will start on the 1st of April 2020.

Thanks,
G.
Hi, due to the COVID-19 circumstances you have the right to cancel the lease agreement without any penalty and can demand the refund.

Thanks

hmisabpk

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you sign a lease it is a legal contract. You also want to hold the rental until you arrive. You may be able to agree with your landlord if they find another tenant you will only be responsible for the months left unfilled. Would be up to your landlord if they are willing to do this especially because it puts them at risk if they are social distancing.

Reactions: torontosm