+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Housing and COVID-19

giuliog

Mar 18, 2020
Hi all,

I was meant to move to Canada on the 12th of April to join my employer (work permit).

Last week I signed a tenancy agreement with a local landlord in Toronto, I wanted to know if I can request a refund or a freeze as I will not be able to physically move to Canada due to the COVID-19 virus.

Does anyone have more information on what rights I have as a tenant? My rental agreement will start on the 1st of April 2020.

Thanks,
G.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the landlord agrees, why not transfer lease/ sublet your unit to one of the people who post in this forum seeking accommodation?

giuliog

Mar 18, 2020
They have all their personal belongings in the apartment.
I do not have my belongings - I do not know how long the shortlet would last as I would arrive once the immigration ban is removed.

I am interested from a legal perspective.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not have my belongings - I do not know how long the shortlet would last as I would arrive once the immigration ban is removed.

How about on a month to month basis?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You would have to ask your landlord. Given all your stuff is in your apartment it is not really in a position to be rented out as an AirBnB or sublet even if the landlord agrees. Maybe you have a friend who could tidy up and secure all your valuables and move your everyday items

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I was meant to move to Canada on the 12th of April to join my employer (work permit).

Last week I signed a tenancy agreement with a local landlord in Toronto, I wanted to know if I can request a refund or a freeze as I will not be able to physically move to Canada due to the COVID-19 virus.

Does anyone have more information on what rights I have as a tenant? My rental agreement will start on the 1st of April 2020.

Thanks,
G.
Hi, due to the COVID-19 circumstances you have the right to cancel the lease agreement without any penalty and can demand the refund.

Thanks

hmisabpk