+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Household income query for parents sponsorship

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
Hi there,

I have my parents coming on super visa next year in May. We are also planning to call my wife's parents in the family sponsorship category in 2019, as they are much younger and would want to work. We were wondering if we will be considered a family of four for the sponsorship or six as my parents are coming on super visa ?

We are confused as we get contradicting information every time thru different lawyers. Some say since my parents are coming on super visa we will still be considered a family of 4 for the sponsorship, meanwhile some say the moment my parents land in Canada and then if we apply after for my wife's parents under sponsorship we will be considered a family of 6 until my parents leave Canada. Which of the two is correct ? Can someone clarify. ...thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're a family of 6 (provided you have no children) and will need to meet income requirements for a family this size.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You're a family of 6 (provided you have no children) and will need to meet income requirements for a family this size.
Since the supervisa is not an undertaking nor sponsorship, I don't think those parents need to be counted at all, regardless if they're in or out of Canada?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
How to calculate the family size?
The size of the family determines the amount of income you need to make to sponsor. Use this table below to assist you in calculating the size of your family:
  1. Count:
    • yourself,
    • your spouse or common-law partner and
    • dependent children, if applicable.
  2. Count:
    • the number of persons you are now sponsoring and
    • all dependent family members of that person, whether or not they are accompanying.
  3. Count the number of persons covered by other valid undertakings you have made or co-signed in the past.
  4. If you have a co-signer, count all persons covered by still valid undertakings made or co-signed by your co-signer.
  5. Calculate the number of persons covered in steps 1 to 4. The total represents the family size
  6. Look at the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship in this guide to help you decide if you have the financial ability to meet sponsorship requirements. Note that your calculations will only be an estimate.

Supervisa instruction state:
For the parent and grandparent super visa only, you must also provide:
  • a written and signed promise of your financial support for your parents or grandparents for their entire stay in Canada, and
  • proof that your income meets or is above the low-income cut-off (LICO) for the total number of people, including the visiting parents or grandparents.
However this "promise of financial support' is NOT a valid undertaking. So I don't see how these parents of a co-signer can be included in family size.

Last edited:
Reactions: immigrationaspirant

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
Since the supervisa is not an undertaking nor sponsorship, I don't think those parents need to be counted at all, regardless if they're in or out of Canada?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
How to calculate the family size?
The size of the family determines the amount of income you need to make to sponsor. Use this table below to assist you in calculating the size of your family:
  1. Count:
    • yourself,
    • your spouse or common-law partner and
    • dependent children, if applicable.
  2. Count:
    • the number of persons you are now sponsoring and
    • all dependent family members of that person, whether or not they are accompanying.
  3. Count the number of persons covered by other valid undertakings you have made or co-signed in the past.
  4. If you have a co-signer, count all persons covered by still valid undertakings made or co-signed by your co-signer.
  5. Calculate the number of persons covered in steps 1 to 4. The total represents the family size
  6. Look at the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship in this guide to help you decide if you have the financial ability to meet sponsorship requirements. Note that your calculations will only be an estimate.

Supervisa instruction state:
For the parent and grandparent super visa only, you must also provide:
  • a written and signed promise of your financial support for your parents or grandparents for their entire stay in Canada, and
  • proof that your income meets or is above the low-income cut-off (LICO) for the total number of people, including the visiting parents or grandparents.
However this "promise of financial support' is NOT a valid undertaking. So I don't see how these parents of a co-signer can be included in family size.
Thanks for your reply, I hope all of this was more clearly stated on their website about the difference between the two. I need to understand more about the difference of valid undertaking as opposed to the signed promise of financial support.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for your reply, I hope all of this was more clearly stated on their website about the difference between the two. I need to understand more about the difference of valid undertaking as opposed to the signed promise of financial support.
A valid undertaking is a legal agreement you make that if the person you sponsor goes on welfare or some other types of social services, you are legally liable to pay back the government.

A promise of financial support, is not this. It's basically a non-legal non-enforceable letter, which ultimately means nothing. A supervisa is simply an extended visitor visa, and is not an undertaking nor a current sponsorship.

There are no rules in parents sponsorship that says you need to include parents on supervisa in your family size. The people that are included is clearly stated in the link I posted to above, and parents on supervisa is not one of them. Only those on a valid undertaking. So whether a co-signer's parents are in Canada on supervisa or in some other country, they should not need to be counted in your family size.

Reactions: immigrationaspirant

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
A valid undertaking is a legal agreement you make that if the person you sponsor goes on welfare or some other types of social services, you are legally liable to pay back the government.

A promise of financial support, is not this. It's basically a non-legal non-enforceable letter, which ultimately means nothing. A supervisa is simply an extended visitor visa, and is not an undertaking nor a current sponsorship.

There are no rules in parents sponsorship that says you need to include parents on supervisa in your family size. The people that are included is clearly stated in the link I posted to above, and parents on supervisa is not one of them. Only those on a valid undertaking. So whether a co-signer's parents are in Canada on supervisa or in some other country, they should not need to be counted in your family size.
Thanks a lot for your input..it makes sense.