01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

ChileanGerman

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Based on the article, it looks like international students will fall under the 3 day quarantine rule. I think we will have to wait for more details to be released to see if this is accurate.
Yeah, just based on that article. A friend of mine currently in Toronto said it's only for "non-essential" travels, he saw on the news. But like you said, we need to wait for more details. Otherwise I need to book my flight for 21st Feb haha

Reactions: Robrobrob and Tete

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah, just based on that article. A friend of mine currently in Toronto said it's only for "non-essential" travels, he saw on the news. But like you said, we need to wait for more details. Otherwise I need to book my flight for 21st Feb haha
I'm Canadian and live in Toronto.

The news is always pretty useless for these kinds of things. The media doesn't always get the fact right and there's almost never enough detail provided in the press conferences.

We will need to wait until the rules are posted on the IRCC/CBSA web site to understand exactly how this is going to be rolled out and who will be impacted.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Here is an interesting observation

The application process for hotels to be part of Canada's quarantine program, supposed to start Feb 22, has closed. It is notable that the $2,000.00 price was chosen before the hotels were selected, which makes it less clear how that cost was reached.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/mandatory-hotel-stay-air-travellers/apply-listed-hotel.html

bleachedaxe

Oct 6, 2010
Any possibility they outright ban foreign travellers? We haven’t been given any latest guidelines if foreign travellers could enter after February 22.

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
Its a tricky situation with half knowledge. I booked my cousin's ticket for Feb 23, 2021. Now just waiting for clarification on 1st time incoming students.
If they also fall under this rule, then its better to come early.

ehvargas

Jun 27, 2017
I have a flight that should land at 11:43 pm on February 21th. I am not certain about the new rule if I have to do it.

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023
I dont think international students will be exempted. What may or rather should happen is there is a student discount for the mandatory 3 day quarantine. One of the major purpose of this measure was to discourage Canadians to travel abroad for pleasure. International Students may have to go through all this but hopefully at a lesser charge.

Another thing that is not clear is whether this $2000 is a flat rate or will vary as per the Hotel. I am sure there will be cheaper options.

In any case, students will have to suffer a bit as Canada prepares to combat another wave. How much this suffering will be, we will know in coming days.

Reactions: Ppun

Shayshay_127

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Here's something I noticed and something that gives me hope

"As of October 20, 2020, international students who hold a valid Canadian study permit or who received a letter of introduction from IRCC may be authorized to enter Canada from outside of the United States for a non-discretionary purpose if they attend a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan that has been approved by their province or territory."

If you look here ( https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/mandatory-hotel-stay-air-travellers.html ), and also at all the news articles, it says the hotel isolation is for non-essential travelers.

ChileanGerman

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Here's something I noticed and something that gives me hope

"As of October 20, 2020, international students who hold a valid Canadian study permit or who received a letter of introduction from IRCC may be authorized to enter Canada from outside of the United States for a non-discretionary purpose if they attend a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan that has been approved by their province or territory."

If you look here ( https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/mandatory-hotel-stay-air-travellers.html ), and also at all the news articles, it says the hotel isolation is for non-essential travelers.
To be honest, I really don't see any benefit of the 3-day-hotel-quarantine except for milking off the students' money.

Why easing restrictions for international students attending a DLI with an approved corona readiness plan just to announce what feels like a month later they have to pay ~$2000 if they want to come?

We anyways have to pay for the transportation service provided by the college to get to our quarantine destination, so what is the point of needing to stay for 3 days for ~$2000 in that hotel if we could be surveillanced on the way to our quarantine stay and just wait for the result there? Why not increasing surveillance in general on those incoming students instead of urging them to pay ~$2000?

There are so many things I don't understand and could be handled differently.

There will definitely be clarification in the next days and HOPEFULLY international students will be exempted. AMEN

Robrobrob

Jan 27, 2021
Government of Canada expands restrictions to international travel by land and air - Canada.ca

Official government website states: "All travellers arriving to Canada by air, as of February 22, 2021, with some exceptions, will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test when they arrive in Canada before exiting the airport, and another toward the end of their 14-day quarantine period. With limited exceptions, air travellers, will also be required to reserve, prior to departure to Canada, a 3-night stay in a government-authorized hotel. Travellers will be able to book their government-authorized stay starting February 18, 2021. These new measures are in addition to existing mandatory pre-boarding and health requirements for air travellers."

The only hope is that international students fall under "limited exceptions". Other than that it seems pretty clear that it's ALL travellers, unfortunately.

Shayshay_127

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
To be honest, I really don't see any benefit of the 3-day-hotel-quarantine except for milking off the students' money.

Why easing restrictions for international students attending a DLI with an approved corona readiness plan just to announce what feels like a month later they have to pay ~$2000 if they want to come?

We anyways have to pay for the transportation service provided by the college to get to our quarantine destination, so what is the point of needing to stay for 3 days for ~$2000 in that hotel if we could be surveillanced on the way to our quarantine stay and just wait for the result there? Why not increasing surveillance in general on those incoming students instead of urging them to pay ~$2000?

There are so many things I don't understand and could be handled differently.

There will definitely be clarification in the next days and HOPEFULLY international students will be exempted. AMEN
I agree.
The dumbest thing is that they said the percentage of covid cases related to international travel was like 1% or something like that. So if this whole hotel BS actually applies to all air travelers, then I see zero logic in making such a decision. Of course, unless it's done to support hotels, which would be just wrong.