+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hotel quarantine measures for air travellers come into effect Feb. 22: Trudeau

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I agree.
The dumbest thing is that they said the percentage of covid cases related to international travel was like 1% or something like that. So if this whole hotel BS actually applies to all air travelers, then I see zero logic in making such a decision. Of course, unless it's done to support hotels, which would be just wrong.
You’re on a student visa correct? I’m more than likely quite sure your point of view regarding this quarantine measure is pretty well irrelevant to the Government. If the Government started taking policy from foreign nationals, I’m pretty sure the voters would say otherwise

Reactions: sidroy09

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree.
The dumbest thing is that they said the percentage of covid cases related to international travel was like 1% or something like that. So if this whole hotel BS actually applies to all air travelers, then I see zero logic in making such a decision. Of course, unless it's done to support hotels, which would be just wrong.
There was very poor contact tracing and the stats were based on voluntary testing at the airport so we have no real idea what the actual rate was. The covid variants are more contagious so bringing in more variant cases is one of the 2 reasons for the hotel quarantine. We are far from the only country doing this. Most require you to quarantine for 10-14 days. There was also a tremendous amount of traveling going on and not only for vacations. If people were capable of quarantining by themselves for 14 days then there may not have been a need for these extra measures.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To be honest, I really don't see any benefit of the 3-day-hotel-quarantine except for milking off the students' money.

Why easing restrictions for international students attending a DLI with an approved corona readiness plan just to announce what feels like a month later they have to pay ~$2000 if they want to come?

We anyways have to pay for the transportation service provided by the college to get to our quarantine destination, so what is the point of needing to stay for 3 days for ~$2000 in that hotel if we could be surveillanced on the way to our quarantine stay and just wait for the result there? Why not increasing surveillance in general on those incoming students instead of urging them to pay ~$2000?

There are so many things I don't understand and could be handled differently.

There will definitely be clarification in the next days and HOPEFULLY international students will be exempted. AMEN
They tried the first type of quarantining but unfortunately people don't always follow their quarantine rules. Some schools also don't do a good job monitoring. The hotel fees are likely to make very little profits. You have the test fees, transportation that has to be specially outfitted, you have to have a driver 24/7, you need lots of PPE, plastic will line the floors, your cleaners need to deep clean all the rooms, you are providing food, you need security to make sure people don't leave, you need to separate the quarantine floors, etc. This isn't a simple hotel stay. Canada is a huge country. It becomes very difficult to surveil people when they spread out across Canada. Most people would refuse to where a tracking device like they do in other countries. Many Canadians and business have been on lockdown for quite a long time. The hospitals are finally seeing less admissions. Canada wants to try to minimize the risk of someone bringing in covid variant and it closing businesses that have finally opened to shut down. Those in Canada following the rules have had severe consequences so it isn't unfair that others have to take on some of the burden.

It would make no sense to exempt such a large travel category like international students. The government doesn't always make logical decisions but hotel quarantine doesn't make sense if it is limited to people where it is clearly tourism. The government has rolled out this program over a very long time so people could have changed their tickets.

Shayshay_127

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
You’re on a student visa correct? I’m more than likely quite sure your point of view regarding this quarantine measure is pretty well irrelevant to the Government. If the Government started taking policy from foreign nationals, I’m pretty sure the voters would say otherwise
I never said they care about my point of view, I know they dgaf. It was just me sharing my thoughts, nothing more.

Reactions: Robrobrob