+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hospital/Gynaecologist correspondence needed

Judzygal

Nov 3, 2019
I applied for temporary residence visa for the purpose of giving birth, I attached all necessary documents, including doctors correspondence.
Only for me to get this email below.
Who can help me with a correspondence from a hospital in Ontario... I am paying my bills ..

This is the email...

This refers to your application for a Canadian temporary resident visa.

In order to continue with the processing of your application:

· You are required to provide proof from a competent Canadian Health Authority that formal arrangements have been made to provide payment for health services related to the birth. A letter from a family doctor will not suffice, we are requesting official documents certified by a Regional Health Authority and hospital administration that formal payment arrangements have been made.

This information should be received by email before November 16, 2019.

Failure to do so may result in a refusal of your application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I applied for temporary residence visa for the purpose of giving birth, I attached all necessary documents, including doctors correspondence.
Only for me to get this email below.
Who can help me with a correspondence from a hospital in Ontario... I am paying my bills ..

This is the email...

This refers to your application for a Canadian temporary resident visa.

In order to continue with the processing of your application:

· You are required to provide proof from a competent Canadian Health Authority that formal arrangements have been made to provide payment for health services related to the birth. A letter from a family doctor will not suffice, we are requesting official documents certified by a Regional Health Authority and hospital administration that formal payment arrangements have been made.

This information should be received by email before November 16, 2019.

Failure to do so may result in a refusal of your application.
They want proof of payment arrangements.

I suggest you read this
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/hospital-bill.660469/. If you don't have funds to cover all possible outcomes, do not come to Canada to give birth.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just be aware that birth tourism is not something that many Canadian residents agree with given a history of people arriving with insufficient funds and unrealistic expectations of the benefits associated with a birth in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Money is not the problem....
I want to know if I am expected to pay ahead of my coming.
I haven't been able to get a hospital that will take prepayment..
In general Canada’s hospital system is supposed to serve Canadian resident first. Many Canadian hospitals don’t have the capacity or desire to take in foreign nationals. There are also situations where children of foreign nationals then need a NICU space which increases the cost to hundreds of thousands of dollars and takes a bed away which is needed. A US hospital will be happy to take your money.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't need to pay in advance. However you do need to arrange a payment plan in advance and you need this payment plan to be officially certified by both the hospital and I believe OHIP.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think it’s going to be extremely difficult to find a Health Authority who is going to be willing to jump on board and issue you a letter agreeing to this . It’s just an agreement to pay them , it’s not a legally binding agreement. Even though you say you’ll pay, many after the fact just walk away and leave the hospital and the taxpayer with the bill . They probably feel it’s not worth the time and potential hassle. The hospitals already have their hands full with patients who have the “ right” to have medical service , not a non resident just looking for birth tourism . They’ve probably seen it all before
As mentioned , I’m sure many hospitals south of the border would be more than happy to accept your money

Last edited:

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Get GOOD insurance, if not I hope you are rich. I hope you know what you are dealing with. A complication requiring NICU could easily set you back a quarter million or more

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
This is an interesting quote

“Some hospitals, like Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, have taken steps to limit the number of non-resident births in order to prioritize residents of their own communities. That hospital says it won't treat non-residents patients without Ontario Health Insurance Plan coverage.”

And that is one big medical centre

Wonder what other hospitals policies are in Ontario for non residents with no OHIP

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This is an interesting quote

“Some hospitals, like Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, have taken steps to limit the number of non-resident births in order to prioritize residents of their own communities. That hospital says it won't treat non-residents patients without Ontario Health Insurance Plan coverage.”

And that is one big medical centre

Wonder what other hospitals policies are in Ontario for non residents with no OHIP
I'm not sure how much such a policy can actually curb birth tourism. If a woman walks into a hospital in active labour, they are not going to turn her away regardless of whether she has provincial coverage or not. And if her baby has issues and needs the NICU, they are not going to turn the child away.

Reactions: Bs65 and canuck78