+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hospital bill

Azeezat17

Oct 23, 2019
Hi guys
I Came in as a visitor to Ontario to have my baby. The pregnancy had been a healthy one but at the time of delivery, an emergency csection at 9cm dilation which led to baby being in distress. baby had to be taken to sick kids due to fetal distress( meconium aspiration). I already paid my hospital bill and doctors bill (which was about 8500 cad in total). however baby’s bill is not out yet but the finance department already gave me an approximate cost of 220,000CAD. I don’t have this amount neither does my husband. Is there anything that could be done. thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys
I Came in as a visitor to Ontario to have my baby. The pregnancy had been a healthy one but at the time of delivery, an emergency csection at 9cm dilation which led to baby being in distress. baby had to be taken to sick kids due to fetal distress( meconium aspiration). I already paid my hospital bill and doctors bill (which was about 8500 cad in total). however baby’s bill is not out yet but the finance department already gave me an approximate cost of 220,000CAD. I don’t have this amount neither does my husband. Is there anything that could be done. thank you
The only real option is to negotiate with the hospital directly to ask that they lower the amount you owe and arrange a repayment plan where you pay a certain amount weekly or monthly towards the total you owe. We have seen cases here in the past where people have been able to reduce the amount of money that is owed by arranging a repayment plan (and then obviously sticking to that repayment plan and paying the weekly or monthly installments). It will be up to the hospital if they are willing to consider this. If they are willing to consider this, you should assume that you will still have to pay back a significant portion of the money you owe. I think we've seen cases here where people have been able to reduce their bill by 30% or maybe even 50%. But again - that's really up to the hospital - and you will need to agree to a repayment plan.

Azeezat17

Oct 23, 2019
The only real option is to negotiate with the hospital directly to ask that they lower the amount you owe and arrange a repayment plan where you pay a certain amount weekly or monthly towards the total you owe. We have seen cases here in the past where people have been able to reduce the amount of money that is owed by arranging a repayment plan (and then obviously sticking to that repayment plan and paying the weekly or monthly installments). It will be up to the hospital if they are willing to consider this. If they are willing to consider this, you should assume that you will still have to pay back a significant portion of the money you owe. I think we've seen cases here where people have been able to reduce their bill by 30% or maybe even 50%. But again - that's really up to the hospital - and you will need to agree to a repayment plan.
Many thanks for this

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi guys
And this is why we warn people against "Birth tourism".

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys
If you didn't have the money, you shouldn't have come to Canada as a birth tourist. The Canadian healthcare system and taxpayers should not have to pay for your mistake.

Reactions: @trigger

Azeezat17

Oct 23, 2019
If you didn't have the money, you shouldn't have come to Canada as a birth tourist. The Canadian healthcare system and taxpayers should not have to pay for your mistake.
I guess you didn’t read my post correctly. I settled all my bills by paying cash. I want to know the options towards clearing the baby’s bill and how it won’t affect immigration. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I guess you didn’t read my post correctly. I settled all my bills by paying cash. I want to know the options towards clearing the baby’s bill and how it won’t affect immigration. Thank you
Your bills are not all settled. Only one bill is settled. Your baby's bill is your bill. Again, you need to talk to the hospital and arrange a payment plan if you want to try to reduce the total.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You should always expect the unexpected. There is always a chance things won't go smoothly, as you have discovered. What canuck_in_uk is saying that you either were very naive or didn't have money to cover unexpected costs. The latter sounds more like it.

Azeezat17

Oct 23, 2019
Your bills are not all settled. Only one bill is settled. Your baby's bill is your bill. Again, you need to talk to the hospital and arrange a payment plan if you want to try to reduce the total.
Thank you very much. I’m doing that already. I appreciate your help

Reactions: Idnoble

Azeezat17

Oct 23, 2019
You should always expect the unexpected. There is always a chance things won't go smoothly, as you have discovered. What canuck_in_uk is saying that you either were very naive or didn't have money to cover unexpected costs. The latter sounds more like it.
Yeah I wasn’t planning for that unfortunately. Many thanks for the help

Reactions: Idnoble

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Bit confused about you mentioning how the babies bill could affect immigration. There has been situations in the past posted here where subsequent visa applications have been refused for individuals who have come to Canada, given birth and subsequently left , then applied for a visa it was then refused .

Azeezat17

Oct 23, 2019
Bit confused about you mentioning how the babies bill could affect immigration. There has been situations in the past posted here where subsequent visa applications have been refused for individuals who have come to Canada, given birth and subsequently left , then applied for a visa it was then refused .
That’s exactly why I’m asking. Provided the payment plan is being followed, will it affect my future travels to canada?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The bill and you coming to Canada for birth tourism are TWO TOTALLY separate things . The bill is between you and the hospital, not between you and the IRCC
Yes, it more then likely will
The baby got citizenship, ( which does nothing for you in the foreseeable future )you got a huge bill , and potentially a harder time to visit in the future
When you applied for your TRV what was your reason to visit?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-rejection-after-delivering-baby.536730/

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

Azeezat17

Oct 23, 2019
The bill and you coming to Canada for birth tourism are TWO TOTALLY separate things . The bill is between you and the hospital, not between you and the IRCC
Yes, it more then likely will
The baby got citizenship, you got a huge bill , and potentially a harder time to visit in the future
When you applied for your TRV what was your reason to visit?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-rejection-after-delivering-baby.536730/
I understand that. Thank you very much. It was just a regular visit to attend a show I put together which took place in canada here. I then decided to stay back to have her. Would speak to the hospital. Thank you for your help

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
I understand that. Thank you very much. It was just a regular visit to attend a show I put together which took place in canada here. I then decided to stay back to have her. Would speak to the hospital. Thank you for your help
So your child is Canadian but that doesn't help you with immigration in the short term. When the child is 18 and earning enough money she will be able to sponsor you for PR. In the meantime you will have to apply on your own. This could impact your future visits as it may seem like you are coming to Canada just to give birth.