+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

hospital bills for visitor in Canada

Thom_AB

Oct 27, 2018
Hello, I need help what to do with the hospital bill please.

In July I submitted the application to extend my visitor visa from September for 2 years. I received the acknowledgement from IRCC that my application is in progress. During this time, I had to go to a number of medical exams which I passed except the sputum test. I tried to buy private insurance but was declined. The medical panel put me in the hospital for 2 weeks to treat TB knowing that my provincial health insurance expired. I am stuck with a huge hospital bill that I have no way to pay. As of today, my application is still in progress. I called IRCC and was told to talk to the province. The province told me to talk to the Federal Government. I am lost.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your going to have to pay it eventually. They will get their money one way or another. Best to make arrangements to pay monthly. Assuming you are in Alberta, Alberta Health Care does not cover non residents on implied status. It’s going to be your bill no matter who you talk to.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have been a visitor since early spring and came to Canada with a Visitor Visa.
How did you have provincial health insurance coverage as a visitor?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like you were doing a medical to extend your visitor status. That is never covered by provincial OHIP. You were a risk to the Canadian public if you had active TB. Surprising since this should have been tested before you got an initial visa so either the testing done was incorrect or you caught TB right before you left and have been putting the Canadian public at risk. Chosing not to take travel insurance is a risk. Now your family will have to reimburse the province.

Thom_AB

Oct 27, 2018
Sounds like you were doing a medical to extend your visitor status. That is never covered by provincial OHIP. You were a risk to the Canadian public if you had active TB. Surprising since this should have been tested before you got an initial visa so either the testing done was incorrect or you caught TB right before you left and have been putting the Canadian public at risk. Chosing not to take travel insurance is a risk. Now your family will have to reimburse the province.
I caught it when I came here. I am a clergy and never in my intention to abuse anything.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless you have been working on some of the reserves or got super unlucky and was around one of the few homeless people or refugee who has TB you would have gotten it before coming to Canada. Canada has a very low TB rate exempt in those 3 populations. Surprised you didn't have a medical before arrival. Why didn't you have travel insurance? It would have probably been picked up during the medical. If you are a visitor why did you have access to Alberta healthcare? Yes you can't purchase health insurance when you are already sick. If that was the case nobody would buy insurance in advance.

Last edited:

Rosie2018

Dec 13, 2018
First off the OP never said he had ACTIVE TB he said he had to be treated. My husband was also forced to be treated for dormant TB which posed no risk to anyone it was a precautionary treatment. So lets not assume he posed risk to anyone. If it was active im pretty sure he would have had symptoms. Secondly there are always ways to arrange with the government. I have seen huge medical bills swallowed by the province. it also depending on your status here and plan to stay. hope you figure it out wish you the best.

Reactions: Chidarlyn

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn't give false hope that a bill will be absorbed by a province. If you arrive as a visitor and haven't made arrangements to buy healthcare insurance I'm not sure why the province must be responsible. We see lots of Canadians or PRs not want to pay for health insurance for their parents and opt for TRV over supervisa. If their parents get sick then they complain that they can't afford to pay.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
First off the OP never said he had ACTIVE TB he said he had to be treated. My husband was also forced to be treated for dormant TB which posed no risk to anyone it was a precautionary treatment. So lets not assume he posed risk to anyone. If it was active im pretty sure he would have had symptoms. Secondly there are always ways to arrange with the government. I have seen huge medical bills swallowed by the province. it also depending on your status here and plan to stay. hope you figure it out wish you the best.
Regardless on how he contracted it , why would there be an assumption that the province should absorb the bill ? Why didn’t the person proactively get medical insurance prior to this happening?

Reactions: jddd and Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Alberta does provide health insurance to some temporary residents with valid status, however AHCIC clearly states that those on implied status are not covered.
As for the government absorbing the costs, I would hope they don’t as we have sufficient debt as it is and I’d rather not pay any extra for thing clearly not covered.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for all responses. I posted the question on someone's behalf. That was all I had.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the person was in Canada as a visitor and applied to extend their visitor status. Many extensions require another medical. Would imagine that they never took out travel health insurance from the beginning of their visit.