+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong timeline

jerry22880

Aug 23, 2019
China
News release
March 20, 2020

The Government of Canada is providing an update on travel restrictions put in place to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions.

The exemptions include

seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers

international students who held a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020

permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada.

FYI

Matthewcares

Star Member
Oct 1, 2019
so that's means whoever got passport request after March 16 2020 will not be able to enter Canada? so why are they sending out passport request then, should they stop that then?

realmj

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
so that's means whoever got passport request after March 16 2020 will not be able to enter Canada? so why are they sending out passport request then, should they stop that then?
Passport request are sent to sponsorship, visitor, PR application, etc. varies kinds of applications. so my understanding is if the applicant is family member of PR, they should can get into Canada. anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Passport request are sent to sponsorship, visitor, PR application, etc. varies kinds of applications. so my understanding is if the applicant is family member of PR, they should can get into Canada. anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
I think your interpretation is correct. The border at this point is still open for Canadian citizens, PRs and their direct relatives.

Jamesdee

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
FYI https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

"Workers, students and approved permanent residents who haven’t landed should not travel yet. We’ve announced exemptions but they’re not in place. Travel restrictions are still in effect for these groups.

Only Canadian citizens, and permanent residents, and some foreign nationals travelling from the United States (US) who have been in the US for at least 14 days and are asymptomatic, are able to enter Canada by air at this time.
"

Jamesdee

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
My wife's passport arrived in CPC-Ottawa March 13th, no updates yet.

April 23rd will mark 6 months that she's been in Canada on a TRV, I wonder if we need to extend it?

Matthewcares

Star Member
Oct 1, 2019
Wow that's means everyone is suck then, will the ircc give back passports after they requested them, and people have already sent them to the visa office? what will happen, people need there passport back? This sucks.

realmj

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
Wow that's means everyone is suck then, will the ircc give back passports after they requested them, and people have already sent them to the visa office? what will happen, people need there passport back? This sucks.
lots of people working from home since last week, so i think maybe that's why more delay time will be expacted.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
FYI https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

"Workers, students and approved permanent residents who haven’t landed should not travel yet. We’ve announced exemptions but they’re not in place. Travel restrictions are still in effect for these groups.

Only Canadian citizens, and permanent residents, and some foreign nationals travelling from the United States (US) who have been in the US for at least 14 days and are asymptomatic, are able to enter Canada by air at this time.
"
Foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before March 16, 2020, but who hadn’t yet travelled to Canada, will be exempt from these restrictions. We will announce when these exemptions are in effect, with an expected date of early during the week of March 22, 2020.

Other exemptions under the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID-19 include,

• people registered under Canada’s Indian Act
  • protected persons
  • foreign nationals travelling at the invitation of the Canadian government for a purpose related to the containment of COVID-19
  • immediate family members of Canadian citizens
  • immediate family members of Canadian permanent residents
  • a person who is authorized, in writing, by a consular officer of the Government of Canada to enter Canada for the purpose of reuniting immediate family members
  • transiting passengers

So for those who have been approved PR before March 16 and direct family members who get PR before/after March 16 or is visa exempt to Canada are still able to travel to Canada. Just need to wait for Canadian government to complete the procedure for the exemptions.

Jamesdee

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before March 16, 2020, but who hadn’t yet travelled to Canada, will be exempt from these restrictions. We will announce when these exemptions are in effect, with an expected date of early during the week of March 22, 2020.

Other exemptions under the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID-19 include,

• people registered under Canada’s Indian Act
  • protected persons
  • foreign nationals travelling at the invitation of the Canadian government for a purpose related to the containment of COVID-19
  • immediate family members of Canadian citizens
  • immediate family members of Canadian permanent residents
  • a person who is authorized, in writing, by a consular officer of the Government of Canada to enter Canada for the purpose of reuniting immediate family members
  • transiting passengers

So for those who have been approved PR before March 16 and direct family members who get PR before/after March 16 or is visa exempt to Canada are still able to travel to Canada. Just need to wait for Canadian government to complete the procedure for the exemptions.

Any updates to your tracker? When did you ship it to the CPC?