+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong - China Travel History required?

cracked

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
RE Hong Kong - China Travel: as these territories are now both part of the same country ( People's Republic of China) , I have decided to not include these 400 trips. I'll explain this in my letter of explanation. Will this be OK?

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RE Hong Kong - China Travel: as these territories are now both part of the same country ( People's Republic of China) , I have decided to not include these 400 trips. I'll explain this in my letter of explanation. Will this be OK?
When you cross from HK to China, you pass through 2 borders every time, so even no stamp is placed in the passport, this should be included. I got more than 100 trips between China and Macau, and my wife +300, we both have included them. If you didn't submit your application yet, include them. We spent a whole weekend to write out travel history.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will also need PCC from China if your total stay there is more than 6 months (For sure if you got 400 entries).

Last edited:

cracked

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
When you cross from HK to China, you pass through 2 borders every time, so even no stamp is placed in the passport, this should be included. I got more than 100 trips between China and Macau, and my wife +300, we both have included them. If you didn't submit your application yet, include them. We spent a whole weekend to write out travel history.
Thanks for this, I have been spending more than a month trying to do this and time is running out! I don't even know when all these trips too place, I have used 4 or 5 passports in this time and lost 1 or 2. I only have passports for the last four years. What if I just include a letter to explain this? Will they insist on seeing passports for the whole ten years?? And I am getting an error saying the table is full, even though I have only filled in one year of data:
  • Error Description: Travel history: You have reached the maximum number of records permitted for this table. If you have more data than this table holds, make sure your most recent data is captured.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for this, I have been spending more than a month trying to do this and time is running out! I don't even know when all these trips too place, I have used 4 or 5 passports in this time and lost 1 or 2. I only have passports for the last four years. What if I just include a letter to explain this? Will they insist on seeing passports for the whole ten years?? And I am getting an error saying the table is full, even though I have only filled in one year of data:
  • Error Description: Travel history: You have reached the maximum number of records permitted for this table. If you have more data than this table holds, make sure your most recent data is captured.
Maximum entries are 30, the rest you have to attach them in a table on the LOE. I don't know in Hong Kong, but here in Macau my wife applied a document at the Immigration department where it shows all the exits and entries to Macau. In my case I have all the China stamps in my two passports so i did it from there. You should note all the entries you have in China during the last 10 years in your passports, and if there is some you loose, try to remember as much as accurate as you can. They only require current passport, but that doesn't mean that you can exclude the entries from old passports.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, but I thought the rule was more than six months continuously stay?
Not continuously, totally.

From cic web:

Police certificates are required up front and are mandatory for each country (except Canada) where an individual has lived for a total of six months or more.
In your case, China won't issue you a PCC, as they only issue when people have work/student visa. But you will need to contact them and later try to explain it in a LOE. I was living there for 2 year and they only include 1 year in the PCC, as the other year I was there with business visa.

Reactions: Houzi

cracked

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
Maximum entries are 30, the rest you have to attach them in a table on the LOE. I don't know in Hong Kong, but here in Macau my wife applied a document at the Immigration department where it shows all the exits and entries to Macau. In my case I have all the China stamps in my two passports so i did it from there. You should note all the entries you have in China during the last 10 years in your passports, and if there is some you loose, try to remember as much as accurate as you can. They only require current passport, but that doesn't mean that you can exclude the entries from old passports.
OK thanks for this information, I will ask in Hong Kong if they can provide a travel history! BTW I have two current passports, I was allowed a second passport as I'm a frequent travellor, not sure how to submit them both.

cracked

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
Not continuously, totally.

From cic web:

Police certificates are required up front and are mandatory for each country (except Canada) where an individual has lived for a total of six months or more.
In your case, China won't issue you a PCC, as they only issue when people have work/student visa. But you will need to contact them and later try to explain it in a LOE. I was living there for 2 year and they only include 1 year in the PCC, as the other year I was there with business visa.
Thanks, that is very interesting. Yes I never had a student or work visa. Very helpful information!!

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK thanks for this information, I will ask in Hong Kong if they can provide a travel history! BTW I have two current passports, I was allowed a second passport as I'm a frequent travellor, not sure how to submit them both.
You are welcome. Yes you should.

All of this actually is because the problem of same country but different country... If you see when you fill any form in the Canada system you always see 2 Hong Kong... One "Hong Kong" other "China (Hong Kong SAR)", it's a fucking mess, same for Macau.

Reactions: cracked

cracked

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
You are welcome. Yes you should.

All of this actually is because the problem of same country but different country... If you see when you fill any form in the Canada system you always see 2 Hong Kong... One "Hong Kong" other "China (Hong Kong SAR)", it's a fucking mess, same for Macau.
Yes I totally agree! But that's not the only mess, they have listed England and Scotland as separate countries!!

Reactions: chente

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Just curious - did you use passports for HK/China border passing or other travel documents? A related question is whether you are citizen of either PRC or Hong Kong (Permanent resident)? If you are any of these you wouldn't be using your passport, right?

cracked

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
Just curious - did you use passports for HK/China border passing or other travel documents? A related question is whether you are citizen of either PRC or Hong Kong (Permanent resident)? If you are any of these you wouldn't be using your passport, right?
Hi I used passports as I can't get a "return permit" - I'm a HK PR but I can't get that. I think you need to be Chinese - although I had a Spanish friend who got one, but she was married to a HKSAR Chinese

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Hi I used passports as I can't get a "return permit" - I'm a HK PR but I can't get that. I think you need to be Chinese - although I had a Spanish friend who got one, but she was married to a HKSAR Chinese
I see. Yup, the 'return permit' is literally a 'return to/visit hometown permit' in Chinese, which might not be applicable to non-Chinese people, presumably.

cracked

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
I see. Yup, the 'return permit' is literally a 'return to/visit hometown permit' in Chinese, which might not be applicable to non-Chinese people, presumably.
I think you are right, usuallly. However as I said, the "non-Chinese" spouse of a "Chinese" Hong Kong resident was also allowed to have such a permit. I remember she told me this when I was in Hong Kong in 2008; non-Chinese residents were unable to get multiple entry visas to visit China, but she was able to keep travelling freely because she had the permit.