+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

honest mistake on application but now PR

belle07

Oct 5, 2017
Hi, I made an honest mistake on my PR application specifically the IMM 5669 Schedule A Background/Declaration form. In the question:

Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada, ever:
d) been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificate de selection du Quebec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or
temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

I answered "No". I was denied with a US tourist visa. I have overlooked "any other country" and just focused on "Canada".

My dilemma is: I have been a PR for 2 years now and I want to clear it. I mean, it was an honest mistake that I want to correct as I don't want to be charged with misrepresentation. What do I do? Do I contact CIC and have it corrected? Is it worth it to correct it or they already know that I have been refused with US visa since Canada and US share database?

I have been granted US tourist visa (second time I applied) and even renewed it way before I submitted my PR application.

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Hi, I made an honest mistake on my PR application specifically the IMM 5669 Schedule A Background/Declaration form. In the question:

Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada, ever:
d) been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificate de selection du Quebec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or
temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

I answered "No". I was denied with a US tourist visa. I have overlooked "any other country" and just focused on "Canada".

My dilemma is: I have been a PR for 2 years now and I want to clear it. I mean, it was an honest mistake that I want to correct as I don't want to be charged with misrepresentation. What do I do? Do I contact CIC and have it corrected? Is it worth it to correct it or they already know that I have been refused with US visa since Canada and US share database?

I have been granted US tourist visa (second time I applied) and even renewed it way before I submitted my PR application.
I think you should get in touch with a good Immigration lawyer and discuss your case with him.
It doesn't look like it will create much trouble as you are PR for 2 years and granted US visa after that as well.
But this sort of suggestions is better to be taken from someone legal who has past experience in handling / representing such cases.

belle07

Oct 5, 2017
Just an update. I consulted an immigration lawyer and was advised to just draft a letter to correct the mistake and send to CIC. No lawyer was needed to draft the letter.

Reactions: Tomi2

alk0494

Star Member
Dec 14, 2015
winnipeg
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-02-2018
Med's Request
28-05-2018
Med's Done....
15-06-2018
Hi,
My entry was denied in uk in 2004. i forgot to mention in imm5669. i am on work permit and applied trv as well. my trv also in background checkup. my pr also background checkup. should i write LOE before they found out by themselve as this happened 14 years ago. i was thinking that 10 years, i need to give explanation. My entry was refused as i did not have fund for my education.
Please guide me as i don't want to put myself in serious trouble.
thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
My entry was denied in uk in 2004. i forgot to mention in imm5669. i am on work permit and applied trv as well. my trv also in background checkup. my pr also background checkup. should i write LOE before they found out by themselve as this happened 14 years ago. i was thinking that 10 years, i need to give explanation. My entry was refused as i did not have fund for my education.
Please guide me as i don't want to put myself in serious trouble.
thanks
Yes - you need to tell IRCC asap. Right now you're at risk for having your applications refused and issued a misrepresentation ban of 5 years.

alk0494

Star Member
Dec 14, 2015
winnipeg
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-02-2018
Med's Request
28-05-2018
Med's Done....
15-06-2018
Okay, I wrote this letter to them today,
Dear sir/Madam,

This letter is to correct my unintentional and honest mistake regarding the Visa Application Form, “been refused visa or permit, admission to, or order to leave Canada or another country”.

Answer is yes

My re-entry to UK was denied while I was traveling back to UK from china (My wife father was sick) due to lack of fund left for my education in end of 2005 but actual date I forgot and I also don’t have refusal letter with me as well as this happened long time ago. Yesterday I remembered while discus with my wife and she reminded to review my application form and correct it.
Once this cross into my mind realizing I made unintentional mistake, I am writing this letter so I can clear my mistakes, I have no intention of lying and I forgot this matter that time ,it was also accident because It’s happened in a rush of completing the application and it’s also happened many years ago as well

I solemnly declare that my mistake was unintentional and honest.

Along with this letter I am sending a corrected Schedule Visa Application Form.
Hope for Your Kind Consideration
--------
What will happen, will i still refuse or ban.
I sent for both PR with new schedule A and this letter. Also with TRV file number to Ottawa as well.
What will happened. will they simply refused me or do i have any chance to survive

that90sguy

Star Member
Oct 25, 2018
Okay, I wrote this letter to them today,
Dear sir/Madam,

This letter is to correct my unintentional and honest mistake regarding the Visa Application Form, “been refused visa or permit, admission to, or order to leave Canada or another country”.

Answer is yes

My re-entry to UK was denied while I was traveling back to UK from china (My wife father was sick) due to lack of fund left for my education in end of 2005 but actual date I forgot and I also don’t have refusal letter with me as well as this happened long time ago. Yesterday I remembered while discus with my wife and she reminded to review my application form and correct it.
Once this cross into my mind realizing I made unintentional mistake, I am writing this letter so I can clear my mistakes, I have no intention of lying and I forgot this matter that time ,it was also accident because It’s happened in a rush of completing the application and it’s also happened many years ago as well

I solemnly declare that my mistake was unintentional and honest.

Along with this letter I am sending a corrected Schedule Visa Application Form.
Hope for Your Kind Consideration
--------
What will happen, will i still refuse or ban.
I sent for both PR with new schedule A and this letter. Also with TRV file number to Ottawa as well.
What will happened. will they simply refused me or do i have any chance to survive
Any updates yet? Did they get back to you? Please reply as imI in the same situation

that90sguy

Star Member
Oct 25, 2018
Yes - you need to tell IRCC asap. Right now you're at risk for having your applications refused and issued a misrepresentation ban of 5 years.
Really need your input on this.
I've made the same mistake as my study permit was refused the first time but granted later on. And I've lived in Canada for 5 years. When I went to change my study permit to work permit on the border, I had an LMIA from an employer, CBSA officer issued me the allowed to leave Canada as they said I didn't follow the rules of my SP. Now my application for PR is in process and I have already done medical and SA approval and they asked for PCC. But when I was going through my application I noticed on a schedule A form that I mentioned no for allowed to leave Canada and previous refusal for canada or any other country. I've no idea how I missed that but now I'm freaking out. I've told my representative and he said he'll file an amendment or a letter of explanation to the concerning office.
Do you think it'll have a negative impact on my application? And do I need to state YES for where it asks "ordered removal from canada"?
Please provide as much info as you can.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've made the same mistake as my study permit was refused the first time but granted later on. And I've lived in Canada for 5 years. When I went to change my study permit to work permit on the border, I had an LMIA from an employer, CBSA officer issued me the allowed to leave Canada as they said I didn't follow the rules of my SP. Now my application for PR is in process and I have already done medical and SA approval and they asked for PCC. But when I was going through my application I noticed on a schedule A form that I mentioned no for allowed to leave Canada and previous refusal for canada or any other country. I've no idea how I missed that but now I'm freaking out. I've told my representative and he said he'll file an amendment or a letter of explanation to the concerning office.
Do you think it'll have a negative impact on my application? And do I need to state YES for where it asks "ordered removal from canada"?
Thanks
You have brought it up before IRCC asked about it so it should be fine.

Reactions: that90sguy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks
I wouldn't wait for your representative to file something. I would send a case specific inquiry yourself notifying IRCC of this error as soon as you can.

that90sguy

Star Member
Oct 25, 2018
I wouldn't wait for your representative to file something. I would send a case specific inquiry yourself notifying IRCC of this error as soon as you can.
Thanks for the quick reply. My rep has already taken care of it. I guess I'll just sit back and wait for any other correspondence they send.

that90sguy

Star Member
Oct 25, 2018
You have brought it up before IRCC asked about it so it should be fine.
I also talked to a lawyer about this and she said it's not a big deal. Once they receive our mail or email regarding the matter they'll consider it. But to be honest, from my past experience with CIC or CBSA, I wouldn't say the results are predictable. Hopefully I get to come back as soon as possible. Thanks for the feedback.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I also talked to a lawyer about this and she said it's not a big deal. Once they receive our mail or email regarding the matter they'll consider it. But to be honest, from my past experience with CIC or CBSA, I wouldn't say the results are predictable. Hopefully I get to come back as soon as possible. Thanks for the feedback.
It's an extremely big deal if you don't notify IRCC in time. It all depends how far along they are in the application review process. IMO - I would send a case specific inquiry yourself on top of what your lawyer said he/she is done. This is one of those instances where you want to be 100% sure the change has been submitted. No room for error here.

Mahrafff

Oct 9, 2019
Just an update. I consulted an immigration lawyer and was advised to just draft a letter to correct the mistake and send to CIC. No lawyer was needed to draft the letter.
Hi, I am in a same trouble, did you post your letter or email? I appreciate your help.