02-2011 (FingerPrint requested)
Med's Done....
03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
Hello everyone,
I have been granted a refugee status in Canada and I applied for a PR card.
I'm just wondering whether I can go to visit my family back home after I get the PR card or not?
If not, when will I be able to do so?

I would appreciate a comment from an expert.

Thanks

pengyuen

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2011
Med's Request
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-10-2011
Hi Labron,
I know it’s a late answer but here it is…
I know many people, who got pr from protected person status, visited their original country. Only thing is they are not guarantee that you will be safe there, which you know that already…

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This also brings into question whether you are really a refugee, if you can visit your country after you get PR, I'd personally be suspicious you are a genuine refugee

pengyuen

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2011
Med's Request
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-10-2011
I don’t agree. In my situation, going back my country can put me in a very dangerous situation and I’ll never go back there. But every case has different story. My friend applied as a refugee because he couldn’t live in his country like other people because he is a gay guy. He’s got his protected person with %100 true story. But there is nothing wrong him to go visit his family once in a couple years. No need to judge him as a “fake refugee”. As long as you didn’t claim about your government will punish you or some thing like that, people will understand that you need to visit your family once in a while.
There is a big difference between ‘live’ in somewhere and ‘visit’ somewhere.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be very careful with this. The government is looking at adopting legislation that would call into question those who've been given protected or refugee status in Canada and subsequently choose to return to their home countries for visits. I believe it's Bill C-49 and it's being debated now.

Labron

May 31, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville-AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-2010
Doc's Request.
02-2011 (FingerPrint requested)
Med's Done....
03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
Thanks for all those who have given their free consultations.
I think the canadian government knows that roughly it takes the refugess over 3 years to get the PR. This is a long time for a person who did not see his/her family. Visitng home country for a short period of time doesn't mean the home country's situation is changed and his/her life is no longer in danger. We are lucky that we are dealing with a government who understands what a humanitarian situation is.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
rjessome said:
Be very careful with this. The government is looking at adopting legislation that would call into question those who've been given protected or refugee status in Canada and subsequently choose to return to their home countries for visits. I believe it's Bill C-49 and it's being debated now.

And seriously it should be too.

I have an enormous amount of empathy for genuine refugee claimants but a nil tolerance zone for those using the system to gain PR status.
PMM made me realize why there are so many claim 'fake' refugee claims, as it enables them to live and work in Canada for as long as 5 years.