+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

holding work permit and study permit at the same time

jhan286

Dec 8, 2022
Hello, I'm currently holding PGWP for work. I'm trying to accumulate one year of work experience to apply for immigration, at the same time I want to get into a CPA program which need me to apply for a study permit.
On the official website, it says the work experience accumulated can not counted toward immigration work experience while holding a work permit and a study permit at the same time.
Could anyone give me an idea so that I can actualize work, study and immigration at the same time?
Thanks in advance!

Rohit Abby Elias

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Holding a work permit and study permit at the same time is legal

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1618&top=17

However, any work done in Canada while you are a full-time student at a Canadian institution is not valid for acclumation of Comprehensive Ranking System points. This means in a sense, if you are on PGWP, you can “wasting” your opportunity to file for PR. lets say you have 3 year work permit and your do masters for 2.5 years during while time you hold both 3 year work permit and 2.5 year study permit. you won’t be able to get enough Canadian work experience and may get low CRS points. Of course, if one is not keen on getting PR, it is fine.

Interestingly, there is no information on getting Canadian work experience points as a PART TIME student (and yes you can get a study permit to study part-time)