India
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
11-07-2021
Hi,

My spouse is working in Canada and I applied for SOWP on jul 2021. But, due to pandemic and huge volume of application , my application is not progressing.

Now, Ircc introduced new visitor visa portal for people in my scenario and it will be processed within 14 days.

If I apply for visitor visa, I will get visitor visa first and may be later my worker visa.
Could you please let us know can we hold both visitor and worker visa together?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi,

My spouse is working in Canada and I applied for SOWP on jul 2021. But, due to pandemic and huge volume of application , my application is not progressing.

Now, Ircc introduced new visitor visa portal for people in my scenario and it will be processed within 14 days.

If I apply for visitor visa, I will get visitor visa first and may be later my worker visa.
Could you please let us know can we hold both visitor and worker visa together?
You can hold as many visas as you can apply. What matters is not what is in your passport, but when you enter Canada, what is your status based on your examination at the port of entry.

ram22mar

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
India
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
11-07-2021
You can hold as many visas as you can apply. What matters is not what is in your passport, but when you enter Canada, what is your status based on your examination at the port of entry.
Thanks for the response.
As part of my spouse open work permit(which I already applied), I will also get multiple entry visitor visa to enter into Canada to get my work permit .

Now, if I also apply for explicit visitor visa to get it in 14 days. Will it create conflict?

Do the visa officer refuse my spouse open work permit stating I already holding valid visitor visa?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks for the response.
As part of my spouse open work permit(which I already applied), I will also get multiple entry visitor visa to enter into Canada to get my work permit .

Now, if I also apply for explicit visitor visa to get it in 14 days. Will it create conflict?

Do the visa officer refuse my spouse open work permit stating I already holding valid visitor visa?
Not sure what you are asking. You can apply for as many visas as you qualify for. Where is the conflict?

ram22mar

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
India
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
11-07-2021
Not sure what you are asking. You can apply for as many visas as you qualify for. Where is the conflict?
Sorry. I will rephrase my question.

If my Spouse open work permit is approved, IRCC will give me visitor visa + poe letter for my work permit. But, This application is in process and it will take more time to approve.

I will be applying for visitor visa with new portal now. Hence, I may get my visitor visa by end of this year.

My question is : when visa officer is reviewing SOWP application probably next year , I will be already holding active visitor visa. Will officer reject my open work permit application stating that I already holding visitor visa?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018

If my Spouse open work permit is approved, IRCC will give me visitor visa + poe letter for my work permit. But, This application is in process and it will take more time to approve.

I will be applying for visitor visa with new portal now. Hence, I may get my visitor visa by end of this year.

My question is : when visa officer is reviewing SOWP application probably next year , I will be already holding active visitor visa. Will officer reject my open work permit application stating that I already holding visitor visa?
No, they will not reject if you have a visitor visa. If you are in Canada, they do not give you the sticker visa(TRV) on your passport, just the permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the response.

14 days is just an estimate. Can be longer or be denied. You aren’t a true visitor and want to remain in Canada so OWP is the correct visa. No harm in trying for the TRV while you wait for the OWP to be processed. Make sure you include all your ties to your home country like job, property, etc.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

No, each application is processed on its own merits and it does not matter if you already have another visa or status.

Chinmai89

Feb 28, 2021
Hi Ram,

I am in the same boat. I applied for my Spouse's Open work permit (resident of India) based on my open work permit on January 10th, 2021. No update till now

I again applied for my spouse's visitor visa in new portal on October 25th 2021

I would suggest you to apply for visitor visa using new portal, as many circumstances would have changed from the date of SOWP application till today. It's better for IRCC to have latest information on funds available, job status. Canadian immigration haven't been processing SOWP applications in India from March 2020.

Stephen659

Jan 30, 2020
Hi Ram,

I am in the same boat. I applied for my Spouse's Open work permit (resident of India) based on my open work permit on January 10th, 2021. No update till now

I again applied for my spouse's visitor visa in new portal on October 25th 2021

I would suggest you to apply for visitor visa using new portal, as many circumstances would have changed from the date of SOWP application till today. It's better for IRCC to have latest information on funds available, job status. Canadian immigration haven't been processing SOWP applications in India from March 2020.
What new portal is this? Because I applied for a visitor visa to pair with my OWP and I’m in Canada and still no reponse

Chinmai89

Feb 28, 2021
Thank you, if I applied for a visitor visa through the original portal is it ok to apply again through this new portal or should I wait?
It depends on a number of factors like when did you apply, what is the country of residence of the applicant, whether there have been any significant changes in the availability of funds, change in job status from the time you applied till today. Personally, I reapplied for my spouse because the previous application I submitted was long back in May 2021, and also there have been changes in my job and also my spouse's job.