+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding both pgwp and sp

adanikolas

Apr 11, 2023
Hello everyone
So I know that we can hold both permits and it has been confirmed by cic agents. I completed my diploma and transferred to a university for bachelors for 1 more year of study. I have a study permit right now that expires in 2024 August and luckily my new program ends in that time too. So i can just change my DLi to keep my study permit valid. However can I apply for pgwp with that? As in I will have to explain in my wp letter abt my study from 2023 may to 2024 August and that I already have a valid study permit? Please let me know if I can apply for pgwp having a valid study permit.

I also want to know can we apply CEC using that work experience while holding both permits has anyone asked cic agents about this? I know work done during study cannot be counted but since we also hold a pgwp shouldn't that experience be counted for CEC? Can anyone please tell.

Lastly, what happens when a student has a pending exam for a course from Fall 2023 semester and did not enroll in winter 2023 semester but waiting to give the pending exam in winter 2023? What is the enrollment status in that case? Its a deferred exam for me so I am in deferred standing.

Will appreciate any answers please.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone
So I know that we can hold both permits and it has been confirmed by cic agents. I completed my diploma and transferred to a university for bachelors for 1 more year of study. I have a study permit right now that expires in 2024 August and luckily my new program ends in that time too. So i can just change my DLi to keep my study permit valid. However can I apply for pgwp with that? As in I will have to explain in my wp letter abt my study from 2023 may to 2024 August and that I already have a valid study permit? Please let me know if I can apply for pgwp having a valid study permit.

I also want to know can we apply CEC using that work experience while holding both permits has anyone asked cic agents about this? I know work done during study cannot be counted but since we also hold a pgwp shouldn't that experience be counted for CEC? Can anyone please tell.

Lastly, what happens when a student has a pending exam for a course from Fall 2023 semester and did not enroll in winter 2023 semester but waiting to give the pending exam in winter 2023? What is the enrollment status in that case? Its a deferred exam for me so I am in deferred standing.

Will appreciate any answers please.

In your case you won’t be able to have a valid SP while not graduating and be able to apply and qualify for a PGWP. You need proof of graduation to apply for PGWP. You will need to extend your study permit until you have finished all your exams and have proof of graduation.