+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hold off on PR card after getting COPR

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
Hi All,

I am expecting permanent residence passport request in October 2018 within Canada. Immigration will return my passport and COPR in November 2018. I have plans to go to India from Feb 19 to Mar 18 and wondering what are my options.
I am thinking of not applying for PR card in November 2018 via border crossing and do it when I return back in Mar 2019. Advice please.

Thanks for your help in advance.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Hi All,

I am expecting permanent residence passport request in October 2018 within Canada. Immigration will return my passport and COPR in November 2018. I have plans to go to India from Feb 19 to Mar 18 and wondering what are my options.
I am thinking of not applying for PR card in November 2018 via border crossing and do it when I return back in Mar 2019. Advice please.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Hi Jaimal

how you will travel back to Canada Without PR Card ? You must show PR Card or Canadian Passport to Travel back to Canada, as far I know you cant fly to Canada without PR Card.

Below are other options

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Returning by private vehicle
There are other documents you can use to enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.

Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat
You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply for a PR card when you return to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?st=10.2

Good Luck

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What possible benefit do you see in not applying for a PR card when landing given an initial card could arrive in 6-8 weeks. As per previous poster you need a card or a PRTD to board a plane back to Canada and the latter has very unpredictable processing times even if you applied on the day you arrived in India. Obviously you do not need a PR card to leave Canada just need one or a PRTD to return via air transport.

You could of course depending on your current status in Canada and assuming COPR will still be valid simply delay your landing until you return from India. Personally though if were me I would still get a landing out of the way as soon as possible leaving You with just the options already mentioned given you never know what might happen with your travel.

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
Hi Jaimal

how you will travel back to Canada Without PR Card ? You must show PR Card or Canadian Passport to Travel back to Canada, as far I know you cant fly to Canada without PR Card.

Below are other options

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Returning by private vehicle
There are other documents you can use to enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.

Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat
You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply for a PR card when you return to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?st=10.2

Good Luck
Hi Badar14, I was thinking of using my one time entry visa received along with COPR to get back entry to Canada and apply my PR card at the same time in Mar 19. Thanks for your response.

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
What possible benefit do you see in not applying for a PR card when landing given an initial card could arrive in 6-8 weeks. As per previous poster you need a card or a PRTD to board a plane back to Canada and the latter has very unpredictable processing times even if you applied on the day you arrived in India. Obviously you do not need a PR card to leave Canada just need one or a PRTD to return via air transport.

You could of course depending on your current status in Canada and assuming COPR will still be valid simply delay your landing until you return from India. Personally though if were me I would still get a landing out of the way as soon as possible leaving You with just the options already mentioned given you never know what might happen with your travel.
Hi Bs65,

You are right about PRTD, that is why I am not going for it. My COPR will be valid for sure. But I get your point on getting it out of the way asap.

On the other hand my plans to go in Feb/19 are rock solid. Supposedly I apply for PR CARD in DEC, I will receive my card in FEB end . In this scenario I will have no other option but to apply for PRTD which is least preferred option.

You mentioned that delaying my landing is possible. Can you think of any complexities that might arise or any additional measures or documents I should apply for.

Thanks