+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hold active L1 Visa but never used. What to mention in Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country.."

Vivaan12

Dec 25, 2022
Hello friends,

So, I am about to apply for citizenship and have been in Canada for more than 4 year now.
While applying citizenship, there is a question "Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?".
I currently have active L1 and previously had active H1B visa while in Canada. The breakup is as following:
  1. Canada stay: Nov 2020 - Current without any gaps.
  2. Other work Visas held: I have never used them to travel, but may use them in future for my work.
    1. Approved H1B from which got expired in 2022.
    2. Approved L1 which is valid till 2026.
So, should I mention these also in the question? Please advise.

fièrementcanadien

Star Member
Jan 31, 2024
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
Hello friends,

So, I am about to apply for citizenship and have been in Canada for more than 4 year now.
While applying citizenship, there is a question "Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?".
I currently have active L1 and previously had active H1B visa while in Canada. The breakup is as following:
  1. Canada stay: Nov 2020 - Current without any gaps.
  2. Other work Visas held: I have never used them to travel, but may use them in future for my work.
    1. Approved H1B from which got expired in 2022.
    2. Approved L1 which is valid till 2026.
So, should I mention these also in the question? Please advise.
Mention them and you can always clarify in freeform comments that you didn't use them. I would personally not say "never used them to travel" but rather "never used them for work" because they're both work visas and not travel visas. At some point, they're probably going to ask you for scans of all pages of your passport so it's not like it's a secret.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vivaan12

Vivaan12

Dec 25, 2022
Mention them and you can always clarify in freeform comments that you didn't use them. I would personally not say "never used them to travel" but rather "never used them for work" because they're both work visas and not travel visas. At some point, there probably going to ask you for scans of all pages of your passport so it's not like it's a secret.
Thank for the response. I will proactively scan and provide all passport pages in other documents.

Reactions: fièrementcanadien