+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV cd4 count could lead to denial?

Nyor1990

Apr 18, 2021
Hello, I am applying for a study permit and I am worried because my cd4 count was lower than I expected (415, when usually it was greater than 500) and I'm afraid IRCC could ask for new blood tests or just refuse my application based on my cd4 count. I've been HIV positive since 2017 and undetectable since I started treatment. I have no hepB or C, or other co-infection.

Hope you can give me some advice! Thanks!

Godftry

Apr 28, 2021
Hello, I am applying for a study permit and I am worried because my cd4 count was lower than I expected (415, when usually it was greater than 500) and I'm afraid IRCC could ask for new blood tests or just refuse my application based on my cd4 count. I've been HIV positive since 2017 and undetectable since I started treatment. I have no hepB or C, or other co-infection.

Hope you can give me some advice! Thanks!
Hi, I have the same situation with you, di you get any information in you application account ?
I am waitting the medical reviewing already 4 months.

Nyor1990

Apr 18, 2021
Hi, I have the same situation with you, di you get any information in you application account ?
I am waitting the medical reviewing already 4 months.
Hello, sorry for the delay, but I just have news about it. My medical get approved in May 11th (about 3 weeks after submission) and my visa was approved today. HIV was not a problem at all, so do not worry about that.
Good luck!

rogerthat

Aug 20, 2021
Hello, sorry for the delay, but I just have news about it. My medical get approved in May 11th (about 3 weeks after submission) and my visa was approved today. HIV was not a problem at all, so do not worry about that.
Good luck!
Hi @Nyor1990, so glad that you passed the medical and your visa got approved.

I am also a person living with HIV, and I want to pursue higher education in Canada. But I am afraid that my status would get me denied. I started processing my papers through an agency and hoping for good results should I be scheduled for medical.

I would like to ask, during your medical exam, did you immediately disclose your status to your attending doctor? Will they include in your results that you are HIV+? Will your agency know about it?

About the Proof of Funds, how much should I have in my bank account for my application to get approved and not fall under the category of "excessive demand" on health and social services of Canada?

TIA and hope to hear from you soon.

Nyor1990

Apr 18, 2021
Hi @Nyor1990, so glad that you passed the medical and your visa got approved.

I am also a person living with HIV, and I want to pursue higher education in Canada. But I am afraid that my status would get me denied. I started processing my papers through an agency and hoping for good results should I be scheduled for medical.

I would like to ask, during your medical exam, did you immediately disclose your status to your attending doctor? Will they include in your results that you are HIV+? Will your agency know about it?

About the Proof of Funds, how much should I have in my bank account for my application to get approved and not fall under the category of "excessive demand" on health and social services of Canada?

TIA and hope to hear from you soon.
Hello @rogerthat
I did not use an agency, so I do not know if you must disclose your status in order to let them finish the paperwork or not. However, if you are doing the medical exam by yourself, I think the answer will be no (I may be wrong though).

I disclosed my status as soon as I started my medical examination, bringing my last CD4 and viral load results. However, they asked me for a medical report from my doctor. They also gave a sample: it included the date I started treatment (and which treatment it was, and, if I switched –not my case–, when and why), my cd4 and viral load records, a physical exam, and a prognosis. My results does not include any confidential information; it just states that I have done all the process, so do not worry about that. As far as I know the only person that must be aware of that is whoever is going to do the medical examination, and their Canadian counterpart at the embassy/consulate.

About the proof of funds, I did nothing, they did not ask me anything either. As an international student, many provinces will give you free treatment, but Ontario (I am there, so I know). However, there are other options to get it; in my case, the university offers international students an insurance that covers medication.

I hope I helped you.

Good luck!

rogerthat

Aug 20, 2021
Hello @rogerthat
I did not use an agency, so I do not know if you must disclose your status in order to let them finish the paperwork or not. However, if you are doing the medical exam by yourself, I think the answer will be no (I may be wrong though).

I disclosed my status as soon as I started my medical examination, bringing my last CD4 and viral load results. However, they asked me for a medical report from my doctor. They also gave a sample: it included the date I started treatment (and which treatment it was, and, if I switched –not my case–, when and why), my cd4 and viral load records, a physical exam, and a prognosis. My results does not include any confidential information; it just states that I have done all the process, so do not worry about that. As far as I know the only person that must be aware of that is whoever is going to do the medical examination, and their Canadian counterpart at the embassy/consulate.

About the proof of funds, I did nothing, they did not ask me anything either. As an international student, many provinces will give you free treatment, but Ontario (I am there, so I know). However, there are other options to get it; in my case, the university offers international students an insurance that covers medication.

I hope I helped you.

Good luck!
Hello @Nyor1990, thank you for your reply. Helps me feel a little more at ease.

Just another question, did you include your medical condition in your Statement of Purpose (SOP)? How was it explained? It is my first time applying to Canada and I'm doing it DIY so I have so many apprehensions.

Hope you could help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello @Nyor1990, thank you for your reply. Helps me feel a little more at ease.

Just another question, did you include your medical condition in your Statement of Purpose (SOP)? How was it explained? It is my first time applying to Canada and I'm doing it DIY so I have so many apprehensions.

Hope you could help.
UnlessHIV is relevant to your career or why you need to study in Canada there is no need to mention your + status in your SOP. You do need to disclose it during your medical.

Reactions: Nyor1990