+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV and provinces

Marcus.IT

Apr 16, 2021
Hello, I have been doing some research on the forum and I found some good information about HIV patients being accepted by immigration.
I found out that different Provinces have different understandings about medication and costs.
One of the forum threads said that BC is more permissive and Ontario is less permissive. Is that so?
I still need to understand where to choose based on the fact that I could pay for the treatment, even though I want to be part of the system and receive treatment for free or less costs. Because I want to immigrate definetively.
I'm on the process of choosing a college, so I could go to any province that would be more likely to accept my issues.
I'm positive since 2006, undetectable. Cd4 700 and I am on dolutegravir and Lamivudine.
Would it be interesting to change my medication to cheaper medication? Would it help?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I have been doing some research on the forum and I found some good information about HIV patients being accepted by immigration.
I found out that different Provinces have different understandings about medication and costs.
One of the forum threads said that BC is more permissive and Ontario is less permissive. Is that so?
I still need to understand where to choose based on the fact that I could pay for the treatment, even though I want to be part of the system and receive treatment for free or less costs. Because I want to immigrate definetively.
I'm on the process of choosing a college, so I could go to any province that would be more likely to accept my issues.
I'm positive since 2006, undetectable. Cd4 700 and I am on dolutegravir and Lamivudine.
Would it be interesting to change my medication to cheaper medication? Would it help?
Being accepted as PR is different than applying for a study permit when it comes to medical inadmissibility. The 100K over 5 years doesn't apply to students so you have a better chance at PR. There have been many HIV+ students who have been accepted but it will dependent on your treatment costs and the burden you would be seen on the healthcare system in that province. Some provinces require students to purchase private medical coverage while others give you access to their provincial healthcare system. Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare program and whether you have any form of drug coverage varies by province. Personally would stick to larger cities where there are more access to resources and doctors who are knowledgeable about HIV treatment. You can only bring a 90 day supply of medication with you.

Reactions: Ashein