+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help!

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
I'm wondering if any of you can help me.
I'm currently on a conditional PR but it's connected to my ex common-law partner, and i have now remarried and live in my own country with my Canadian husband, who obtained status here. We are talking about going back to Canada maybe next year, now of course i have to be a little careful what actions i take.

Am I actually still considered a PR if i decided to <b>leave</b> my ex common-law partner before the 2 year "physically living together"?

I haven't received any letters stating anything otherwise.

And what would the chances of getting a successful new PR card by reapplying in a case like this? I do not feel like i did anything wrong, i LEFT when i broke up with my ex and haven't been in Canada since last year.

hope to hear your opinion.

K

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yes, your PR is still valid, assuming your ex-sponsor has not notified CIC of the relationship breakdown and cic hasn't started revocation. If the breakdown has been reported to CIC, then they may or may not take action to revoke your status. At this time, until CIC tells you otherwise, you are free to enter canada and live as a PR. Truly the only way to know for sure is to fly to canada and seek entry or calling CIC. I'm not sure i'd recommend calling CIC though, cause it could trigger an investigation. if they don't give you a hassle about your PR at the border, then you most likely haven't been reported.

you would not need to reapply for sponsorship unless your current PR is revoked. There is always the risk of being "found out" when you enter canada and cbsa asks you questions. they may or may not choose to report the breakdown or residency obligations not being met (living in canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years). you also risk getting reported if your ex-sponsor found out you returned to canada to live with someone else.

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, your PR is still valid, assuming your ex-sponsor has not notified CIC of the relationship breakdown. If the breakdown has been reported to CIC, then they may or may not take action to revoke your status. At this time, until CIC tells you otherwise, you are free to enter canada and live as a PR. Truly the only way to know for sure is to fly to canada and seek entry or calling CIC. I'm not sure i'd recommend calling CIC though, cause it could trigger an investigation. if they don't give you a hassle about your PR at the border, then you most likely haven't been reported.

you would not need to reapply for sponsorship unless your current PR is revoked. There is always the risk of being "found out" when you enter canada and cbsa asks you questions. they may or may not choose to report the breakdown or residency obligations not being met (living in canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years). you also risk getting reported if your ex-sponsor found out you returned to canada to live with someone else.
We are traveling to Canada to visit my husbands family for Christmas, now the chances that my ex having reported me are likely, but would that not mean that CIC would email and notify me at least? I haven't heard the slightest squeak. We did try and call CIC back last summer, i was talking to an officer at the time trying to get the best answer possible - would that mean talking to this officer, and he suggested that we sent a letter to the office i landed at (inland application) but never did, just left it as is.

Also unfortunately i did call CIC last summer like i stated above, he didn't really say too much and i recall he didn't say anything about reporting as i can remember.

Thanks
K

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
KiaG said:
We are traveling to Canada to visit my husbands family for Christmas, now the chances that my ex having reported me are likely, but would that not mean that CIC would email and notify me at least? I haven't heard the slightest squeak. We did try and call CIC back last summer, i was talking to an officer at the time trying to get the best answer possible - would that mean talking to this officer, and he suggested that we sent a letter to the office i landed at (inland application) but never did, just left it as is.

Thanks
K
I'm not sure what action CIC takes to notify the PR when they are reported. it's quite possible nothing has been started. and it's quite possible revocation has started without your knowledge. again the only way to know at this point is to try to enter canada. OR if you are not visa exempt, and you require a visa to travel to canada, you can always apply for a visitor's visa. that will certainly tell you whether you're still considered a PR. they won't process the application when you're a pr.

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
I'm not sure what action CIC takes to notify the PR when they are reported. it's quite possible nothing has been started. and it's quite possible revocation has started without your knowledge. again the only way to know at this point is to try to enter canada. OR if you are not visa exempt, and you require a visa to travel to canada, you can always apply for a visitor's visa. that will certainly tell you whether you're still considered a PR. they won't process the application when you're a pr.
Would it jeopardize my ability to get a future PR if i get in trouble by entering and they do/did revoke it? I'm a little worried traveling out there this December. What about applying for an eTA?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
KiaG said:
Would it jeopardize my ability to get a future PR if i get in trouble by entering and they do/did revoke it? I'm a little worried traveling out there this December. What about applying for an eTA?
an ETA will probably tell your status too, so you can submit it as a PR and see what happens. if anything, getting your PR revoked will more than likely have your new application looked at more closely to determine whether you are only seeking PR status or are in a real relationship. no one can really tell you what will happen. it will depend on the visa officer responsible for your file. Right now, i'd guess you are a pr and are free to travel to canada without issue.

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
an ETA will probably tell your status too, so you can submit it as a PR and see what happens. if anything, getting your PR revoked will more than likely have your new application looked at more closely to determine whether you are only seeking PR status or are in a real relationship. no one can really tell you what will happen. it will depend on the visa officer responsible for your file. Right now, i'd guess you are a pr and are free to travel to canada without issue.
That's understandable, we do have a son together and pretty good proof if we needed to reapply, so i do hope that it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thank you for your advise. Much appreciated!