+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with work letter situation

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
Ok so, I have 1 and a bit years of experience in Canada. I can prove this easily.

I have been offered an invitation to apply through BC PNP Tech, which is based on this experience along with a year of experience in a different country back in 2014.

I have recently sent off for a record of employment from the UK, no idea how long this takes. (I only realised I could do this recently) However, I have less than 30 days to submit.

Now, the issue is that I don't have any pay slips, in addition the company no longer exists.

However, my old manager is a director of a new company.

He has given me a letter saying I worked for his company on these dates as it's likely it will be impossible to get the tax records for the dissolved company.

So, I have 2 choices:

1. Say I worked for his new company, if they ring him, etc. he will back it up
- Would this be enough without tax records?
2. I say I worked for the old company, ask for a new letter from old manager, hope the work record arrives in time

Any ideas?

Thanks!

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Ok so, I have 1 and a bit years of experience in Canada. I can prove this easily.

I have been offered an invitation to apply through BC PNP Tech, which is based on this experience along with a year of experience in a different country back in 2014.

I have recently sent off for a record of employment from the UK, no idea how long this takes. (I only realised I could do this recently) However, I have less than 30 days to submit.

Now, the issue is that I don't have any pay slips, in addition the company no longer exists.

He has given me a letter saying I worked for his company on these dates as it's likely it will be impossible to get the tax records for the dissolved company.

So, I have 2 choices:

2. I say I worked for the old company, ask for a new letter from old manager, hope the work record arrives in time

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I have no idea how the UK work, so i am just assuming here that yall have some system of records like canada maybe not anyways that is my two cents hope it helps in some way

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
I have no idea how the UK work, so i am just assuming here that yall have some system of records like canada maybe not anyways that is my two cents hope it helps in some way
Yes I did pay tax. The only issue is that the online version of UK tax history goes back 5 years. If I want longer it's a request through mail.

This may take months, I have no idea.

Yes I can see the company on there, thank you

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Yes I did pay tax. The only issue is that the online version of UK tax history goes back 5 years. If I want longer it's a request through mail.

This may take months, I have no idea.

Yes I can see the company on there, thank you
Ahh, I see, yeah. think you can get your old boss letter and send an explanation letter to IRCC with this website a screenshot of the info you see etc, and also any proof you sent to get additional info.

a company desloving is not your fault and IRCC would not punish you for that, they will see that you have tried everything in your power when you write to them in your explanation letter.

i wish you luck, and also hope someone else comments and give you some info i may have missed

Good luck :)

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022

So, I have 2 choices:

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I don't think this will cut it. If I was an immigration officer I would be asking: "How do I know this is not made up?"

IRCC really puts the onus on you to prove this stuff regardless of the company dissolving, so they want to see you put together a very rigorous package of evidence that in totality establishes or provides a perception that on the balance of probabilities you did work there. I would:
  • Retrieve all bank statements/pay stubs from the time you were employed in that company, so that there is financial and written evidence that the company paid you (i.e. your pay deposits would show the company name)
  • Retrieve pension statements showing that that company made contributions to your pension account
  • Any other benefits they provided you, such as if you were named in an employer insurance plan
  • A job contract - surely you kept copies of that?
  • If you kept any work-related emails between you and your manager, to prove that you had access to the company's system and establish a link between you and the person giving you the reference
  • If your byline was published as a representative of the company on any websites (i.e. you wrote a column on behalf of your company for a magazine)
  • Business cards with your name, job title, address etc.
  • Relevant photographic evidence (for example if you attended a function and you wore a badge with your company's brand or stood in front of a company banner)
Put as much as you possibly can - sometimes even the perception of going above and beyond in terms of your effort goes in your favour.

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
I don't think this will cut it. If I was an immigration officer I would be asking: "How do I know this is not made up?"

IRCC really puts the onus on you to prove this stuff regardless of the company dissolving, so they want to see you put together a very rigorous package of evidence that in totality establishes or provides a perception that on the balance of probabilities you did work there. I would:
  • Retrieve all bank statements/pay stubs from the time you were employed in that company, so that there is financial and written evidence that the company paid you (i.e. your pay deposits would show the company name)
  • Retrieve pension statements showing that that company made contributions to your pension account
  • Any other benefits they provided you, such as if you were named in an employer insurance plan
  • A job contract - surely you kept copies of that?
  • If you kept any work-related emails between you and your manager, to prove that you had access to the company's system and establish a link between you and the person giving you the reference
  • If your byline was published as a representative of the company on any websites (i.e. you wrote a column on behalf of your company for a magazine)
  • Business cards with your name, job title, address etc.
  • Relevant photographic evidence (for example if you attended a function and you wore a badge with your company's brand or stood in front of a company banner)
Put as much as you possibly can - sometimes even the perception of going above and beyond in terms of your effort goes in your favour.
Yeah I assumes this much.

However, it's hard to tell what is actually required, isn't there a guide for the officers somewhere?

I've learned from working for both the provincial and federal governemnts, that in general, as long as a specific set of rules are passed, the minimum amont of work is done - so it's just ticking those boxes!