+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with Visitor visa application re: Common-Law and separated

johnsmith2019

Feb 18, 2019
Hi there,

My partner is separated but still married to her husband. We have been together for the last 4 years and we have been living together for around 3 years now.

We both reside outside of Canada and neither of us are Canadian citizens.

On the application form, I don't understand which option she should use to describe her current marital status. Legally separated or Common-Law?

When Legally separated is selected we are unable to provide any information on the Common-Law. I will be sponsoring her for our holiday and want to get this process right.

Has anyone had to deal with this before?

Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

My partner is separated but still married to her husband. We have been together for the last 4 years and we have been living together for around 3 years now.

We both reside outside of Canada and neither of us are Canadian citizens.

On the application form, I don't understand which option she should use to describe her current marital status. Legally separated or Common-Law?

When Legally separated is selected we are unable to provide any information on the Common-Law. I will be sponsoring her for our holiday and want to get this process right.

Has anyone had to deal with this before?

Thanks in advance!
Hi

Put common-law.

johnsmith2019

Feb 18, 2019
Thanks for that, much appreciated!

I assume we still fill in the section about previous common-law and marriages with her current marriage information?

johnsmith2019

Feb 18, 2019
Excellent, been going through the main application this evening.

Last question, where the form asks for dates for previous marriage, do we leave the "until" blank?

Thanks again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Excellent, been going through the main application this evening.

Last question, where the form asks for dates for previous marriage, do we leave the "until" blank?

Thanks again!
Date of separation and include an explanation.