+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with TRV for GF from Philippines please

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
The government is not favouring anyone. Our refugee/asylum system exists for a reason and that is to help people in desperate need. Yes, some people try to take advantage of that, including some who have been crossing the border illegally from the US; however, that is always a consequence of such a process. Many of those people crossing from the US have genuine cases; those that don't are eventually removed.

The system is not rigged. The simple fact of the matter is that your girlfriend has a very weak case and you guys made many mistakes.

Statistics can be found here http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset?_organization_limit=0&organization=cic&page=1.
Thanks for your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree about the government. Do you work for them? A government help line caused me to make more mistakes than I would on my own. They could enforce the border and let people go through proper channels like everyone else. I understand exceptions made for Syrians or from countries where there is an imminent threat but they suggest 50% of those crossing the border as refugees will be refused so in the months and years it takes to process they live off the taxpayers and cost us a lot of money.

Thanks for the link. I did a search for TRV Philippines and nothing came up. You don't happen to have a direct link to the TRV accepted/denied from there do you?

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
They're not making money off application processing - either for permanent or temporary visas. Both cost more to process than the fees collected. (Tax payers cover the difference in operating expenses.)

The rules (however unfair) are in place due to visas abuses of past travelers. Too many past visitors with profiles similar to your girlfriend's used TRVs to try to remain in Canada long term. Your girlfriend is paying the price for what others have done in the past.
Other countries such as Japan and Korea don't charge for their short term visa applications so if Canada isn't making money they're losing less money than those countries. I understand the situation and the possible reasons the government has for they way they do this I just disagree with them. I think things should change, not just for my own benefit but for the countless others that follow this same path down the rabbit hole. You know the costs for the government to process visa applications? From my experience they may be taking less than 1 hr to process and the website allows for electronic submission so that is inexpensive. I could see how they still might make a profit. Not so much from hand written applications.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You know the costs for the government to process visa applications? From my experience they may be taking less than 1 hr to process and the website allows for electronic submission so that is inexpensive. I could see how they still might make a profit. Not so much from hand written applications.
There was a report a few years ago that provided an overview of costs and demonstrated that fees don't cover all of the operating expenses. I don't think that came as a surprise to any of us since we know that a portion of our tax payer dollars go to funding IRCC - so no big deal there. In terms of IRCC making a profit, sounds like all you're taking into consideration is the time it takes an officer to make a decision - meaning the salary of this one individual. Costs to IRCC (any company for that matter) aren't just in salaries - you have to factor in total operating expenses which includes total compensation, management expenses, facilities, equipment, utilities, etc. Expenses aren't simply the salary of one person. Anyway - a bit off topic.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
There was a report a few years ago that provided an overview of costs and demonstrated that fees don't cover all of the operating expenses. I don't think that came as a surprise to any of us since we know that a portion of our tax payer dollars go to funding IRCC - so no big deal there. In terms of IRCC making a profit, sounds like all you're taking into consideration is the time it takes an officer to make a decision - meaning the salary of this one individual. Costs to IRCC (any company for that matter) aren't just in salaries - you have to factor in total operating expenses which includes total compensation, management expenses, facilities, equipment, utilities, etc. Expenses aren't simply the salary of one person. Anyway - a bit off topic.
My point was $100 for electronically submitted means almost no labour costs until someone has to look at the application. If they can process a TRV in 1 hr there should be a profit but of course we're talking about government so it's not always the most efficient. I was specifically talking about 1 application going through the system, not the entire Immigration enterprise. It would be very hard to calculate what I'm talking about unless the employees only handle electronic submissions and do no other work at the embassy. Like you say bit of a sidetrack from the original topic. :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can you provide an example of what you refer to as a more challenging application and how it was resolved?
A case that's similar to your girlfriend's..... but as that OP had also contacted me through private messages, I had given a good deal of advice/suggestions which don't appear in these open forum posts:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-refused-2nd-time-now-what.494388/

Are you affiliated with Campbell Cohen Law?
No

Strong ties such as longer established business and /or employment? I had sent screenshots of banking and perhaps they want to see bank certificates like the Japan and Korea visa do?
Your girlfriend has set up a business + been employed at the resort pretty recently = It's a bit to early to then prove that these are established employment ties

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree about the government. Do you work for them? A government help line caused me to make more mistakes than I would on my own. They could enforce the border and let people go through proper channels like everyone else. I understand exceptions made for Syrians or from countries where there is an imminent threat but they suggest 50% of those crossing the border as refugees will be refused so in the months and years it takes to process they live off the taxpayers and cost us a lot of money.

Thanks for the link. I did a search for TRV Philippines and nothing came up. You don't happen to have a direct link to the TRV accepted/denied from there do you?
No, I don't work for IRCC. This forum is just regular people who have dealt with the immigration system in one way or another.

The Canada-US border is 9000km long. What do you propose, that we build a wall? And make the Americans pay for it? The border is enforced. However, our immigration laws contain an exception that people claiming asylum cannot be charged for entering illegally; this is so that people with genuine cases need not fear reprisal for trying to seek safety. This is in line with international convention.

You need to search around the data sets. Look for TRV/Visitor/Temporary Resident data.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
No, I don't work for IRCC. This forum is just regular people who have dealt with the immigration system in one way or another.

The Canada-US border is 9000km long. What do you propose, that we build a wall? And make the Americans pay for it? The border is enforced. However, our immigration laws contain an exception that people claiming asylum cannot be charged for entering illegally; this is so that people with genuine cases need not fear reprisal for trying to seek safety. This is in line with international convention.

You need to search around the data sets. Look for TRV/Visitor/Temporary Resident data.
Okay, just checking. I didn't think you worked for IRCC but maybe some other branch of the government.:) Funny comment, but I'm sure you know there was one particular point that 90% or more of the people were going through and still are. They have a tent city and heated trailers set up there now. A fence would be better than no fence to deter those who are not that serious. Maybe a quicker screening process and a big sign on the fence with basic requirements for them to read. It's the world's longest shared border but there are electronic means of surveillance if there are not fences or walls. That law makes no sense for people coming from the USA since it is not a 3rd world country with human rights violations. People were flying to the US specifically to cross into Canada by this open border. Last stats I heard 50% will be refused. That's millions of dollars, thousands of hours of resources being wasted. News tonight says that they are falling behind on deportation orders because the resources are being used for the border crossers.

Thanks, I'll try some more search options.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
A case that's similar to your girlfriend's..... but as that OP had also contacted me through private messages, I had given a good deal of advice/suggestions which don't appear in these open forum posts:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-refused-2nd-time-now-what.494388/

No

Your girlfriend has set up a business + been employed at the resort pretty recently = It's a bit to early to then prove that these are established employment ties
I clicked on the link but how is that more challenging than my girl's situation. That girl is working 5 yrs at her job. Has investments. My girl has neither and they only applied 2 times.

Do you think it's better to dump the business or the job because you originally said it didn't seem likely the business was important if she can work a full time job.

When applying for a Korean visa at a local travel agency she was told her employment letter didn't look good because there was no company letterhead but its just a small resort company with swimming pools in the province so they don't have that.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I clicked on the link but how is that more challenging than my girl's situation. That girl is working 5 yrs at her job. Has investments.
That girl's situation was far stronger than your girlfriend's situation. Yet, she was refused twice. IMO, it's challenging to present an already strong application in an even more convincing manner than in presenting a weak application/weak evidence.

Also, most of the suggestions were in exchanges through private messages which would be incorrect to post on the open forum

My girl has neither and they only applied 2 times.
They were advised not to reapply for the third time. But as they got lucky on the third attempt, they did not have to reapply again. So their TRV application count stopped at three.

Do you think it's better to dump the business or the job because you originally said it didn't seem likely the business was important if she can work a full time job.
What I suggest is for you to take a break for a few days/few weeks off from the TRV refusal situation that you're currently in. Once the stress of these refusals subsides, you would probably be able to re-evaluate your girlfriend's previous TRV applications

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay, just checking. I didn't think you worked for IRCC but maybe some other branch of the government.:) Funny comment, but I'm sure you know there was one particular point that 90% or more of the people were going through and still are. They have a tent city and heated trailers set up there now. A fence would be better than no fence to deter those who are not that serious. Maybe a quicker screening process and a big sign on the fence with basic requirements for them to read. It's the world's longest shared border but there are electronic means of surveillance if there are not fences or walls. That law makes no sense for people coming from the USA since it is not a 3rd world country with human rights violations. People were flying to the US specifically to cross into Canada by this open border. Last stats I heard 50% will be refused. That's millions of dollars, thousands of hours of resources being wasted. News tonight says that they are falling behind on deportation orders because the resources are being used for the border crossers.

Thanks, I'll try some more search options.
The system is not perfect but there is no way to make a perfect system. I am aware of the tent city and what is being provided to these people. While I am not happy that there are people taking advantage of the system, I do understand the necessity of providing them with acceptable living conditions while they are in our country.

They will still come, even if there is a fence and signs, and the system will eventually catch up with the backlog.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
The system is not perfect but there is no way to make a perfect system. I am aware of the tent city and what is being provided to these people. While I am not happy that there are people taking advantage of the system, I do understand the necessity of providing them with acceptable living conditions while they are in our country.

They will still come, even if there is a fence and signs, and the system will eventually catch up with the backlog.
The weather slows them down more than anything. The influx was due to our prime minister inviting the world in so Canadian officials have been trying to get the word out that not everyone be accepted with open arms.

I do feel sorry for the two men last year who crossed in the winter and lost fingers to frostbite. I hope they have legitimate claims and can live productive lives.

Some are allowed to work too so that is more than tourists can do, but at least it allows them to pay their own way and do something productive.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
That girl's situation was far stronger than your girlfriend's situation. Yet, she was refused twice. IMO, it's challenging to present an already strong application in an even more convincing manner than in presenting a weak application/weak evidence.

Also, most of the suggestions were in exchanges through private messages which would be incorrect to post on the open forum

They were advised not to reapply for the third time. But as they got lucky on the third attempt, they did not have to reapply again. So their TRV application count stopped at three.

What I suggest is for you to take a break for a few days/few weeks off from the TRV refusal situation that you're currently in. Once the stress of these refusals subsides, you would probably be able to re-evaluate your girlfriend's previous TRV applications
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought by challenging you meant there was less proof or more applications in a short time period.

So many variables and variations in so many things it's probably hard to find very close applications.

Regarding their 3 applications in a short time. Where is the evidence of the multiple applications in a short time period being really bad? Is it in the officers notes, or just evidence from refused applications?

I am taking a break. I had decided before posting here I wouldn't do anything further without more information from difference sources and advice like I'm getting here. I'm mostly aware of why the applications were refused I just don't agree with some of the reasons given on the form.

The officer notes should help understand. I applied for 45 days ago and I wrote a message and an auto reply came back saying they've been behind since May 2017. They mention checking status with the tracking number but I couldn't find a link online to do that.

I'd really like to know how he got his ex girlfriend who was unemployed with no money here on a visa!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay, just checking. I didn't think you worked for IRCC but maybe some other branch of the government.:)
None of us here work for IRCC or the government. We aren't immigration consultants or lawyers either. We are normal people like you. We've done extensive research on Canada's immigration programs because either we ourselves or our family members have gone through the process. (I used this forum extensively in 2009 ahead of sponsoring my husband for PR to make sure I was putting together as strong an application as possible and then later for his citizenship application.) All of us have made sacrifices going through the process. Many of us have remained here long after our processes have completed to share our knowledge and experience with others (like others helped us). When we give you hard messages that you don't want to hear, it's coming from a place of trying to help you find the best path forward. Here's this morning's first hard message: The rules aren't going to change to accommodate you - you have to figure out how to best move yourself through the system. The "what ifs" and "wouldn't this be betters" don't matter. Don't waste any more energy on them. The rules are what they are. You have to figure out what you can do within the existing system.

Additionally, rather than arguing with us - the best use of our knowledge and experience is to listen to the advice that's been given you and ask questions that help you to move forward. We are trying to help you. We are also trying to help you for free. (Appreciate that a good immigration lawyer would cost you thousands.) Treat us as you would treat a friend - not an enemy. Here's hard message #2: From our perspective, when you spend time trying to help someone for free and all they do is argue with you - sooner or later that becomes pretty exhausting and pointless - and you stop trying to help.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
None of us here work for IRCC or the government. We aren't immigration consultants or lawyers either. We are normal people like you. We've done extensive research on Canada's immigration programs because either we ourselves or our family members have gone through the process. (I used this forum extensively in 2009 ahead of sponsoring my husband for PR to make sure I was putting together as strong an application as possible and then later for his citizenship application.) All of us have made sacrifices going through the process. Many of us have remained here long after our processes have completed to share our knowledge and experience with others (like others helped us). When we give you hard messages that you don't want to hear, it's coming from a place of trying to help you find the best path forward. Here's this morning's first hard message: The rules aren't going to change to accommodate you - you have to figure out how to best move yourself through the system. The "what ifs" and "wouldn't this be betters" don't matter. Don't waste any more energy on them. The rules are what they are. You have to figure out what you can do within the existing system.

Additionally, rather than arguing with us - the best use of our knowledge and experience is to listen to the advice that's been given you and ask questions that help you to move forward. We are trying to help you. We are also trying to help you for free. (Appreciate that a good immigration lawyer would cost you thousands.) Treat us as you would treat a friend - not an enemy. Here's hard message #2: From our perspective, when you spend time trying to help someone for free and all they do is argue with you - sooner or later that becomes pretty exhausting and pointless - and you stop trying to help.
Fair enough, I was just feeling some here have quite a positive bias towards this government system that I don't have so I thought maybe there were ties to government. I don't mind hard messages but I do want factual messages. Some information provided here is somewhat vague and the whole process is somewhat vague so there are things that are not 100% in a lot of aspects of this process. We have been having slight difficulty communicating because you seem to think I don't understand when I do. I accept everything is the way it is and what has happened and the consequences, I just think the system needs to be fixed. Not for my benefit specifically but for everyone who has to apply in the future. Sure you can learn how to deal with a broken system but you can also talk about changing it.

I didn't think I was arguing, I'm sorry if you saw it that way. I just stated my opinion and frustration of the process but I've thanked people here for their help and information. I like to understand why things are they way they are whether it benefits me in the application or not. I know the cost of lawyers and as I've said before I appreciate this forum and the advice given and I wish I had found it sooner. I was curious how it is known that multiple frequent applications is such a dire problem. If it's written in officer notes that seems clear, if it's based on lots of applications then it's a bit more murky.

Thanks for your help and patience, I do appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellaluna