+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with spousal sponsorship

elibear2008

Mar 16, 2008
I find myself in a rather complicated situation and am hoping for some advice. I was married in Ghana, Africa last April. We did both the religious and legal ceremonies. Things were great. I went with my daughter (from a previous relationship) and we returned after three weeks. I found out shortly after that I was pregnant. My spouse and I were both super excited at first. The problem though was that I had a very difficult pregnancy and this greatly impacted our relationship in a negative way. We didn't talk all that much for about 5 months. I have since had the baby and we are truly wanting to reconcile our relationship. What can we do to prove to immigration that our relationship is genuine. We truly do care for each other but had a big bump in the road. Should we wait a bit to apply for the sponsorship...to give us a chance to rebuild our relationship? We are hoping to have him come to Canada on a visa this summer...after which we had planned on applying for the sponsorship. What would be the best route to take? We want to get our family together as it is just too hard on all of us. Thanks!

Jennifer

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

elibear2008 said:
I find myself in a rather complicated situation and am hoping for some advice. I was married in Ghana, Africa last April. We did both the religious and legal ceremonies. Things were great. I went with my daughter (from a previous relationship) and we returned after three weeks. I found out shortly after that I was pregnant. My spouse and I were both super excited at first. The problem though was that I had a very difficult pregnancy and this greatly impacted our relationship in a negative way. We didn't talk all that much for about 5 months. I have since had the baby and we are truly wanting to reconcile our relationship. What can we do to prove to immigration that our relationship is genuine. We truly do care for each other but had a big bump in the road. Should we wait a bit to apply for the sponsorship...to give us a chance to rebuild our relationship? We are hoping to have him come to Canada on a visa this summer...after which we had planned on applying for the sponsorship. What would be the best route to take? We want to get our family together as it is just too hard on all of us. Thanks!

Jennifer
If he is a citizen of Ghana, he will need a TRV to visit Canada. Being married to Canada, CHC will think that it is not for a temporary purpose, in that his intention is to remain permanently, so the TRV will most likely be refused. So if you want him here, you are probably going to have to submit a sponsorship and his application to Missisauga and the application would be processed in Accra. Processing time, 32 days for approval or refusal Missisauga, and 8-18 months in Accra. Start your reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

PMM

elibear2008

Mar 16, 2008
Would it matter that he has a good job and is currently supporting his two other kids in Ghana? We are not yet in a position to put through a sponsorship and I think it would be too risky to bring the baby to Ghana without its immunizations.