+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with sponsorship...

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
HI,
I wondered if anyone has any answers for me....
I have been in Canada since April 08' and I had to extend it as it ran out in April 09'.
My work sponsored me for another 2 years so my new work visa doesn't run out until March 2011.

I was in the process of sorting out permanent residency but I was made aware that I couldn't apply for this until I have worked at my job for 2 years. It will be 2 years in May but as it takes so long to process I am worried it won't come through in time if I apply in May..
So I am hoping my work will sponsor me again, even if it's for one more year, this will give me time to sort out my permanent residency, I just wondered if it is possible to apply for the sponsorship as early as this.
If anyone can help it would be appreciated,
Thankyou!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=amelia link=topic=32630.msg202462#msg202462 date=1263575305]
HI,
I wondered if anyone has any answers for me....
I have been in Canada since April 08' and I had to extend it as it ran out in April 09'.
My work sponsored me for another 2 years so my new work visa doesn't run out until March 2011.

I was in the process of sorting out permanent residency but I was made aware that I couldn't apply for this until I have worked at my job for 2 years. It will be 2 years in May but as it takes so long to process I am worried it won't come through in time if I apply in May..
So I am hoping my work will sponsor me again, even if it's for one more year, this will give me time to sort out my permanent residency, I just wondered if it is possible to apply for the sponsorship as early as this.
If anyone can help it would be appreciated,
Thankyou!
[/quote]

Nope you can't apply early, you must meet the criteria before you apply.

PMM

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
I do meet the criteria, I was just wondering if I can apply this early, but I guess I can apply nearer the time as it doesn't take too long to process.
I was also wondering if you can apply for two things at once, i.e PR & sponsorship, not too sure how it works.
I'm very confused with a lot of things & I find the cic website can just go around in circles. I need to have my IMM1000 for the permanent residence card but I don't get that until I have permanent residence status & I'm not 100% sure on this.
Hope this makes sense

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you qualify to apply under the skilled worker program with 67 or more points and at least one year continuous work experience and 1 year or more in Canada, you can apply for your PR under the skilled worker program, category 3.

Depending on your province, you may qualify to apply for your PR under the provincial nominee program but you would need to be sponsored by your employer to do that.

If you want to apply under Canadian Experience class, you would need to have worked for 2 or more years in a skilled position.

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
Thank you for your quick response, I am not too sure if I qualify, I will have to check. What happens if I don't? Then there's no way I can become a PR??
My employer has told me that they will sponsor me again if need be but now I'm worried about the next stage, the whole PR situation...... :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you don't qualify for the skilled worker program, you can apply under some other program.

As for the provincial nominee program, it depends on what province you are in.

Or you can wait until you qualify for Canadian experience class.

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
I have just found out that i don't qualify as a skilled worker as my job doesn't fall under that category. :(
I am in BC............
Just looking into the provincial nominee worker program & I can't do that either because it says "for qualified & experienced entrepreneurs".
I am now looking into sponsorship from my common-law partner as now I feel this is the only way!
Thanks again for your help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you qualify as a skilled worker with 67 or more points and at some point in your life a continuous 1 year skilled work experience, it does not matter if your job in Canada is skilled or not, you can still apply. Even students in Canada can apply as long as the other two requirements are filled.

The BC provincial nominee program has options for skilled workers as well as some semi-skilled occupations. If you are not skilled, it depends on what you do if you qualify, see http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincialnominee/strategicoccupations/entrylevel.htm

If you are not skilled, you can not apply under Canadian experience class but you are right that your common law can sponsor you if you have lived together for a year or more.

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
Ah I just looked on that & my job is on there so am going to get as much information as I can about that, thanks for your help! :D
So the BC provincial nominee program, how does this work exactly do you know, if not I can try look it up.

As for common-law we have lived together for almost 2 years so that could be another option..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go to the bottom of that web page, there is a link to the application forms. Your employer needs to sponsor you. You apply for your nomination to the BC program. Once you get your nominiation, you can apply for your PR.

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
Okay found it, just will have to work out what is the best way now & work out which will take longer!
Thank you so much for your help, appreciate it

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amelia said:
Okay found it, just will have to work out what is the best way now & work out which will take longer!
Thank you so much for your help, appreciate it
If you have the option of common law sponsorship and apply outland, it will in most cases be faster than PNP. However, you do have to prove your relationship, how long you've lived together etc. With PNP, your employer sponsors you so no need to prove anything.

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
Ah I see, so I guess it just depends on if I can prove everything, I'm sure I do have enough proof! What do you mean by applying outland though?
It probably takes around a year right?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applying outland means you ask for your application to be processed in your country of nationality. The forms can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

The processing time for outland is first a month in Mississauga to approve the sponsor and then in your country as seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

At the end of that, you will have your PR.

If you apply inland, you would use a different set of forms and your application would be processed in Vegreville. In a best case scenario, you could have first stage approval in 6 months and PR in as little as 10 months but the average is more like 12-18 months and these applications can turn very bad if you are unlucky. If Vegreville has any questions about your application, any doubt about something that will cause them to want an interview, they will not give you the first stage approval but send your application to your local CIC office to do the interview where it may sit on a shelf and wait for up to 3 years. Another downside with inland is that if you have to leave Canada while it's being processed and for any reason are not allowed back in, you lose your application since it's a requirement for inland that you are in Canada.

The only downside with outland is that if an interview is required, you would have to go to your country of nationality to have the interview.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Applying outland means you ask for your application to be processed in your country of nationality. The forms can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
...or in a country where you have been admitted for a year or more.