+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with purpose of trip

Moyita

Feb 26, 2016
Hi there,

I recently posted on this forum and got no replies... Hoping to ask my question differently to get some feedback. Such knowledgeable folks on here.

My partner and I are hoping to visit Canada temporarily in April 2016. I am a Canadian citizen and he is from the Dominican Republic. We are not married but have a child together and have been living together in the DR for 9 months. We already got one TRV application rejected over a year ago and hope to do things right this time around (we had provided proof for house, work and family ties in the DR but still no luck the first time). The main purpose of our trip is to baptise our son. This obviously requires a very limited visit to Canada. However, I am hoping to stay a full 4 months to complete the requirements of my degree and complete a 4-month work contract following the end of my maternity leave. In this case, I see two options for the "purpose" of our trip to Canada and I am not sure which one would provide us with the best chances of finally getting the Visa. We are two honest folks and do not want to lie. Here are the 2 options I see:

1. An invitation from my mother (who is a Canadian Citizen and lives in Canada) for my partner to visit Canada for 1-2 weeks for the baptism of our son.

2. A dual invitation from myself (who doesn't currently live in Canada) and my mother for my partner to visit Canada for 4 months to participate in his son's baptism and to accompany me and our son during the pre-determined completion of my university degree and work contract.

Any recommendations on which option is best? I am starting to feel like option 1 would bring us the most chances but I also hope that my partner can stay the whole 4 months so that our son continues to benefit from his father's presence...

Thanks for your feedback!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Moyita said:
Hi there,

I recently posted on this forum and got no replies... Hoping to ask my question differently to get some feedback. Such knowledgeable folks on here.

My partner and I are hoping to visit Canada temporarily in April 2016. I am a Canadian citizen and he is from the Dominican Republic. We are not married but have a child together and have been living together in the DR for 9 months. We already got one TRV application rejected over a year ago and hope to do things right this time around (we had provided proof for house, work and family ties in the DR but still no luck the first time). The main purpose of our trip is to baptise our son. This obviously requires a very limited visit to Canada. However, I am hoping to stay a full 4 months to complete the requirements of my degree and complete a 4-month work contract following the end of my maternity leave. In this case, I see two options for the "purpose" of our trip to Canada and I am not sure which one would provide us with the best chances of finally getting the Visa. We are two honest folks and do not want to lie. Here are the 2 options I see:

1. An invitation from my mother (who is a Canadian Citizen and lives in Canada) for my partner to visit Canada for 1-2 weeks for the baptism of our son.

2. A dual invitation from myself (who doesn't currently live in Canada) and my mother for my partner to visit Canada for 4 months to participate in his son's baptism and to accompany me and our son during the pre-determined completion of my university degree and work contract.

Any recommendations on which option is best? I am starting to feel like option 1 would bring us the most chances but I also hope that my partner can stay the whole 4 months so that our son continues to benefit from his father's presence...

Thanks for your feedback!
None.

What you want are not activities for a "visitor". A visitor Is expected to visit and leave, not to stay such long times. What he actually wants to do is live in Canada.

For this you need to apply for proper sponsorship. I would recommend Family Sponsorship Class:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-class-sponsorship-b5.0/

If you want him to go on a short visit for the baptism then ask for two weeks and show strong evidence why he will be leaving after that event: fulltime employment leave with return dates, return air ticket, proof enrollment in an education institution, leases, mortgages, etc.

Moyita

Feb 26, 2016
Hi Jalex23,

Thank you for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Both my partner and I live in the Dominican Republic and do not intend to live in Canada beyond the 4-months states in my original message. All of our belongings will remain in the DR and my partner will maintain his employment will temporarily away.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Moyita said:
Hi Jalex23,

Thank you for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Both my partner and I live in the Dominican Republic and do not intend to live in Canada beyond the 4-months states in my original message. All of our belongings will remain in the DR and my partner will maintain his employment will temporarily away.
OK, that makes much more sense.

Nonetheless I would not recommend requesting more than 2 weeks visit as he has a baby with a Canadian, so he has lots of reasons to overstay. You have to provide enough evidence that the reasons to return to DR are indeed strong. Leaving his employment for 4 months talks about a weak tie to his country, this is exactly what you don't want, you should only show strong ties.

Also keep in mind you should have 1000CAD per week in this visit (after accommodations, regardless of any sponsorship)... that is not set in stone, but it is expected from CIC that you show strong evidence of no economical need to overstay. If he has previous travel for the requested amount (3-5 months) to Visa required countries (the USA for example) can work on your behalf and will help you to build a case on that amount of time.