+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with Permanent Residence under Protected Person status!

fy94

Aug 27, 2017
Hi, my family and i became protected persons this year and are about to apply for permanent residence. Our case was heard as a family even though 3 of my children are not my dependants anymore. We got only one notice of decision with all of our names on it. My question is that now that I'm applying for permanent residence and only 1 of my children come under the definition of dependants and the other 3 are over 19, should i apply for them under one generic application or are they going to be treated as principal applicants for their own applications? the confusion is that for the refugee case i was the sole principal applicant according to my lawyer. We have already filled out separate applications for them but i just wanted to confirm before i send it. Also please tell me if i can pay the fees for the whole family together or should i pay for me my spouse and dependant child separately and my independent children separately? And can i send all the applications in a single package or should i mail them separately too? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, my family and i became protected persons this year and are about to apply for permanent residence. Our case was heard as a family even though 3 of my children are not my dependants anymore. We got only one notice of decision with all of our names on it. My question is that now that I'm applying for permanent residence and only 1 of my children come under the definition of dependants and the other 3 are over 19, should i apply for them under one generic application or are they going to be treated as principal applicants for their own applications? the confusion is that for the refugee case i was the sole principal applicant according to my lawyer. We have already filled out separate applications for them but i just wanted to confirm before i send it. Also please tell me if i can pay the fees for the whole family together or should i pay for me my spouse and dependant child separately and my independent children separately? And can i send all the applications in a single package or should i mail them separately too? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Separate application for each child over 18. Personally I would pay the children over 18 fees separately. Whether you send them in one package or multiple, I would discuss with your lawyer.

Reactions: fy94

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree. Now that you are applying for PR the conventional rules about who are your dependents and who are independent adults now apply for your children. Even if they still live at home and are dependent on you