+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help with my som

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'd like to get some help on how to get someone from overseas to help me with my autistic son who is only 11 years old, My wife and I , we both work and it is very difficult to look after my son with only one salary coming home, My wife works every day in the afternoons and I work continental shift, I know i could get help by hiring someone here in Ontario to babysit my kid while we are working, but it is not the same when your kid DOES NOT TALK.

There is a relative who has experience working with special kids and would like to help me, She is from Peru, what I want to know is how I could bring her here, I would pay for everything that it is required, We have an older son who is 19 and he will be going off to college soon, thanks to him my wife and I were able to continue working, once he leaves and we can't find someone to take of my kid, my wife would have to quit her job, and to be honest one job would no cover the expenses in my house.
Anyone please help,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I'd like to get some help on how to get someone from overseas to help me with my autistic son who is only 11 years old, My wife and I , we both work and it is very difficult to look after my son with only one salary coming home, My wife works every day in the afternoons and I work continental shift, I know i could get help by hiring someone here in Ontario to babysit my kid while we are working, but it is not the same when your kid DOES NOT TALK.

There is a relative who has experience working with special kids and would like to help me, She is from Peru, what I want to know is how I could bring her here, I would pay for everything that it is required, We have an older son who is 19 and he will be going off to college soon, thanks to him my wife and I were able to continue working, once he leaves and we can't find someone to take of my kid, my wife would have to quit her job, and to be honest one job would no cover the expenses in my house.
Anyone please help,
You'd need to go through the caregiver program. You'll need to be prepared to pay the caregiver a full salary and there are also minimum requirements the caregiver must meet. Read through the steps here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver/requirements.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

Anyone please help,
Just to add. You have to post a full-time job and show that you could not hire anyone in Canada. You need to post the position on sites like Indeed, Job Bank, local advertisements etc. The job offer must be full-time. If you don't find anyone who meets your needs, then you can offer a job to your relative. You will need to set up a business registration number for payroll. Given your child is special needs, you will need to pay a salary that is above minimum wage and above the median age for the NOC. You need to make aLICO for 4 (you should be making a lot more than LICO) and then add the salary for the caregiver ($32-35K plus benefits/vacation etc.). You say that you can pay for everything so you will have to pay your relative a full-time salary.

In the meantime, your relative needs to look at the HCCP program and get the documentation in order (ECA, IELTS etc.). If you ask questions under the Caregiver section of the forum, you can talk to people who have been waiting since 2019 for approval.

Caregivers - Canada.ca

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Anyone please help,
Assume your child is in school full-time. The most affordable option will be to pay for after school care. As someone has already indicated to qualify to hire a caregiver your income needs to be quite high since you will need to show that you can afford to pay an ~35k salary. Hiring a caregiver is also a long process so unless you can wait up to a few years you’ll need to explore other options. Does your relative have the previous qualifications to qualify for HCCP? Os your relative a licensed teacher in Peru? Nurse? You mention they have experience working with children with special needs.

I can imagine the situation and the expense of caregiving is quite stressful. A more extreme option would be to consider changing jobs in order for you and your spouse to be able to alternate caregiving and work. This is a good time to change jobs since many employers are hiring and there are a shortage of workers in many industries.