Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Feb-2015
Doc's Request.
30-July-2015 (Proof of sponsor's Canadian residence)
AOR Received.
06-April-2015
Med's Done....
27-April-2015
Passport Req..
IP: August 6. DM: Sept 26
VISA ISSUED...
25-Sept-2015
LANDED..........
05-Oct-2015
Hi all! I've been a PR since October 2015 and plan to apply for citizenship this May.

I live near the border and have taken a lot of day trips into the US for shopping, but unfortunately had no clue I'd ever need that information and it's come to bite me in the butt now that I have no idea my dates of travel! Someone here linked me the US site where I can request my records from there, but for some reason when I input my passport info, it is saying no traveler record found.... kind of weird, but okay.

So that leaves me to order through Canada. But I read here you shouldn't do that if you are going to be applying for citizenship? What should I do? Is it okay to order it now since I still have a few months out before my application?

I'm just a bit confused on how to get this information and in a way so that I am not hurting my application. Thank you!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi all! I've been a PR since October 2015 and plan to apply for citizenship this May.

I live near the border and have taken a lot of day trips into the US for shopping, but unfortunately had no clue I'd ever need that information and it's come to bite me in the butt now that I have no idea my dates of travel! Someone here linked me the US site where I can request my records from there, but for some reason when I input my passport info, it is saying no traveler record found.... kind of weird, but okay.

So that leaves me to order through Canada. But I read here you shouldn't do that if you are going to be applying for citizenship? What should I do? Is it okay to order it now since I still have a few months out before my application?

I'm just a bit confused on how to get this information and in a way so that I am not hurting my application. Thank you!
Are you a US citizen ? If so, you won't be able to access I94 records because they are for non-US citizens entering the US.

It's ok to order CBSA records. They only say that because some people think they need to submit their CBSA records with their application.

Another option is to order your US entry records (I have never ordered these, I found the instructions on how to on this forum).

How to order USA entry records (FOIA) ?
1- go to this link: https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate
2- create an account or continue as a guest ( I recommend the creation of an account)
3- select the agency: CBP FOIA division
4- fill in all your personal information.
5- type of record requested it will be: Entry/ exit
6- in the description put the details of your request.
7- click preview and submit.

ChellyCat

Jan 8, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Feb-2015
Doc's Request.
30-July-2015 (Proof of sponsor's Canadian residence)
AOR Received.
06-April-2015
Med's Done....
27-April-2015
Passport Req..
IP: August 6. DM: Sept 26
VISA ISSUED...
25-Sept-2015
LANDED..........
05-Oct-2015
Are you a US citizen ? If so, you won't be able to access I94 records because they are for non-US citizens entering the US.

It's ok to order CBSA records. They only say that because some people think they need to submit their CBSA records with their application.

Another option is to order your US entry records (I have never ordered these, I found the instructions on how to on this forum).

How to order USA entry records (FOIA) ?
1- go to this link: https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate
2- create an account or continue as a guest ( I recommend the creation of an account)
3- select the agency: CBP FOIA division
4- fill in all your personal information.
5- type of record requested it will be: Entry/ exit
6- in the description put the details of your request.
7- click preview and submit.

Thanks for the help! Yes, I'm a US citizen. I know it's not required to send in that info with a citizenship app, but I believe on my last post, someone said it looks negatively on your application if you order it..? Or something like that? Maybe I misunderstood. I just don't want to upset immigration before I even start :p

What's up with the fee thing on that page? Should you pay something or request it is waived?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks for the help! Yes, I'm a US citizen. I know it's not required to send in that info with a citizenship app, but I believe on my last post, someone said it looks negatively on your application if you order it..? Or something like that? Maybe I misunderstood. I just don't want to upset immigration before I even start :p

What's up with the fee thing on that page? Should you pay something or request it is waived?
Of course it does NOT look negatively on you if you order it. It is in fact your right to order it whenever you want.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014

IMO, I don't think it looks negatively if you order your records. I know people who did and became citizens without issues.

Regarding the fee, I found this:

Why do I have to pay to file a request?
There is no fee to file a FOIA request. FOIA established three fee categories that agencies use to determine if fees will be charged:
  • (1) commercial requesters may be charged fees for searching for records, reviewing the records, and photocopying them;
  • (2) news media, educational or noncommercial scientific institutions are charged for photocopying, after the first 100 pages;
  • (3) all other requesters (requesters who do not fall into any of the other three categories) are charged for photocopying after 100 pages and for time spent searching for records in excess of two hours.
In the event that fees are incurred beyond what you are entitled to for free, please indicate a specific amount that you are willing to pay. If you do not indicate another amount in FOIAonline, please be advised that some agency regulations provide that making a FOIA request represents an agreement to pay fees up to $25 (See Agency specific regulations from the links on the main page).