+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with filing part-year resident tax

SuSha167

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
Hi good people,

I left Canada mid-year to work in US, wife joined a bit late in the year. No house in Canada, but wife in health leave (employer in Canada and all worldwide income from Canada alone and not working in USA). I will be filing US tax as a resident and hence am filing joint return in US (electing to treat wife as US resident too). If anyone was in the same boat as me, can you please offer some insights on the following questions:

1. I was advised to file as a part-year resident for Canada. But, turbo-tax either allows non-resident, deemed resident/non-resident (on paid software) or resident, no option for part-year resident. Called them, not much help. Is there another software I should be using instead?
  2. Accountant also advised me to declare worldwide income. She said it would not be taxed, but I should declare it to determine eligible credits. Where do I declare this? Is there a particular form?
  3. On the spousal income part, CRA advises to declare both world-wide income of the spouse for whole year and also for part year when I was the Canadian tax resident. But, there is only one box to fill info in in T1. Been calling CRA to ask, no luck due to heavy call volume.

I wanted to get insights on how any of you navigated similar situation in previous years. Would be really helpful for me.

Also, if you have any recommendations on some good and affordable CPA to do taxes on Canadian side (who knows US-Canada tax), would really appreciate it. I only need help with Canadian taxes, US tax is sorted out.

Thanks a lot!