+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with becoming permanent resident while in canada.

stevesemail

Feb 13, 2014
I am US citizen and my wife is canadian.
I want to go live/stay with my wife while she sponsors me for PR.
What do we say or do when we get to the border?
Will there be hassles?
Is this allowed?
Do i just say im visiting then file when were there and ask for extension?
Hopefully someone please helps.
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you arrive together, you can say that she intends to sponsor you and ask for a visitor record. A visitor record can allow you to stay longer, a year instead of 6 months for example. You should however not arrive with all your stuff in a U-haul because officially you are not allowed to move until you get your PR.

You could also just say that you are visiting and then apply to extend later. However, you need proof when you entered in order to extend and US passports are often not stamped when you enter.

stevesemail

Feb 13, 2014
Leon said:
If you arrive together, you can say that she intends to sponsor you and ask for a visitor record. A visitor record can allow you to stay longer, a year instead of 6 months for example. You should however not arrive with all your stuff in a U-haul because officially you are not allowed to move until you get your PR.

You could also just say that you are visiting and then apply to extend later. However, you need proof when you entered in order to extend and US passports are often not stamped when you enter.
They only gave me 6 months.
But it wasnt a bad experience at all.
Just hope i can extend it.