+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help with appealing TRV refusal!

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Hello everyone,

I know this question might have been asked before, but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer. My uncle applied for a tourist visa to visit his sisters and attend his newborn niece's first birthday. He has a strong travel history, having visited the United States a few years ago, and has obtained numerous Chinese visas for both business and tourism purposes. Additionally, he holds a stable and well-paying job back home, is married with three children, and applied for the visa on his own. We submitted all the required documents, including his travel history, marriage certificate, proof of income, assets, employment details, business documents, and an invitation letter from his sister for the birthday and family reunion. However, his application was rejected. I was the one who applied for him, and I also applied for someone else with a weaker case (no strong income, no travel history, etc.), and that application was approved.

The rejection letter did not provide any acceptable reason for the refusal. Is there a way we can appeal this decision?

here is what it says in the notes(ATIP):
I have reviewed the application.
I have considered the following factors in my decision.
The purpose of the applicant's visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details provided in the application.
Weighing the factors in this application, I am not satisfied that the applicant will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay.
For the reasons above, I have refused this application

do you think these reasons are sufficient enough to prevent someone from visiting her immediate family? thanks a lot and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I know this question might have been asked before, but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer. My uncle applied for a tourist visa to visit his sisters and attend his newborn niece's first birthday. He has a strong travel history, having visited the United States a few years ago, and has obtained numerous Chinese visas for both business and tourism purposes. Additionally, he holds a stable and well-paying job back home, is married with three children, and applied for the visa on his own. We submitted all the required documents, including his travel history, marriage certificate, proof of income, assets, employment details, business documents, and an invitation letter from his sister for the birthday and family reunion. However, his application was rejected. I was the one who applied for him, and I also applied for someone else with a weaker case (no strong income, no travel history, etc.), and that application was approved.

The rejection letter did not provide any acceptable reason for the refusal. Is there a way we can appeal this decision?

here is what it says in the notes(ATIP):
I have reviewed the application.
I have considered the following factors in my decision.
The purpose of the applicant's visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details provided in the application.
Weighing the factors in this application, I am not satisfied that the applicant will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay.
For the reasons above, I have refused this application

do you think these reasons are sufficient enough to prevent someone from visiting her immediate family? thanks a lot and any help would be greatly appreciated.
How long was visit? He wasn’t visiting immediate family. A niece is not even extended family. IRCC may have wondered why he was coming for a first birthday party. Is this his first niece/nephew? If not, has he been to all first birthdays?

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
I 100% agree with you about the niece, but the primary reason for this travel was to visit his sisters(two sisters!) who are Canadian citizens and PR, as well as attend his grandniece's Birthday(my bad I meant grandniece). here is the purpose of travel I submitted for his application:

Subject: Letter of Intent - Purpose of Travel to Canada

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to request a temporary visitor visa for my upcoming trip to Canada. As an Iranian citizen residing********, I will make sure to follow all immigration policies during my stay.

I plan to visit Canada from March 20 to April 10th to celebrate my grandniece, A********* first birthday with my sister, K******, a Canadian citizen residing at *****************, whom I haven’t seen for a long time. This visit holds special significance as I missed my grandniece's birth, and it's essential for me to be there for her first birthday. She is my only grandniece and means a great deal to me. Celebrating this milestone with her and my family is crucial for maintaining our family bonds and traditions.

During my stay in Canada, I will be residing with my sister in her home at the address above, and I will be responsible for my all-other expenses such as food, transportation etc. I have attached relevant documents, such as bank statement, to demonstrate my financial stability and strength and ability to cover any necessary expenses.

Professionally, I am a customs broker agent and manage a construction business in Iran. I have several people using my Customs Broker license as individual agents on a commission basis, which provides me with a strong and consistent monthly income. Additionally, I own several rental buildings and units, including a commercial unit in my hometown, another one in Tehran, and several residential rental units, all of which contribute to a robust cash flow. My wife, who is also a licensed customs broker, will remain in Iran to manage our business and take care of our three daughters during my visit. This arrangement amplifies my solid family ties in Iran and serves as assurance of my timely return to my home country. These business engagements, along with my responsibilities as a father, assure my return to Iran post-visit. I have attached financial documents to prove my ability to support myself during my stay without any burden to the Canadian system.

Enclosed are also documents proving my relationship with my sister and a detailed itinerary of my planned activities in Canada. For any emergencies, K*********************** can be reached.

I am committed to respecting all legal requirements and assure you of my intent to return to Iran after my visit. Please let me know if you need further information.

Thank you for considering my application.

Yours faithfully,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I 100% agree with you about the niece, but the primary reason for this travel was to visit his sisters(two sisters!) who are Canadian citizens and PR, as well as attend his grandniece's Birthday(my bad I meant grandniece). here is the purpose of travel I submitted for his application:

Subject: Letter of Intent - Purpose of Travel to Canada

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to request a temporary visitor visa for my upcoming trip to Canada. As an Iranian citizen residing********, I will make sure to follow all immigration policies during my stay.

I plan to visit Canada from March 20 to April 10th to celebrate my grandniece, A********* first birthday with my sister, K******, a Canadian citizen residing at *****************, whom I haven’t seen for a long time. This visit holds special significance as I missed my grandniece's birth, and it's essential for me to be there for her first birthday. She is my only grandniece and means a great deal to me. Celebrating this milestone with her and my family is crucial for maintaining our family bonds and traditions.

During my stay in Canada, I will be residing with my sister in her home at the address above, and I will be responsible for my all-other expenses such as food, transportation etc. I have attached relevant documents, such as bank statement, to demonstrate my financial stability and strength and ability to cover any necessary expenses.

Professionally, I am a customs broker agent and manage a construction business in Iran. I have several people using my Customs Broker license as individual agents on a commission basis, which provides me with a strong and consistent monthly income. Additionally, I own several rental buildings and units, including a commercial unit in my hometown, another one in Tehran, and several residential rental units, all of which contribute to a robust cash flow. My wife, who is also a licensed customs broker, will remain in Iran to manage our business and take care of our three daughters during my visit. This arrangement amplifies my solid family ties in Iran and serves as assurance of my timely return to my home country. These business engagements, along with my responsibilities as a father, assure my return to Iran post-visit. I have attached financial documents to prove my ability to support myself during my stay without any burden to the Canadian system.

Enclosed are also documents proving my relationship with my sister and a detailed itinerary of my planned activities in Canada. For any emergencies, K*********************** can be reached.

I am committed to respecting all legal requirements and assure you of my intent to return to Iran after my visit. Please let me know if you need further information.

Thank you for considering my application.

Yours faithfully,
So a three week visit to go to a grand niece’s birthday, who is not considered a family member. That is what it says in the first line. No reason to go for three weeks for a birthday party for a one year old. Also why was the visit essential for this grand niece? The letter should have focused on visiting his sister, and why he wants to see her.