Hey guys,

I'm a student with strong academics:
10th - 84%
12th - 90%
Engineering - 72% [top 5 in my university]
IELTS (academic) - L 9.0 | R 7.0 | W 8.0 | S 8.0
IELTS (general) - L 9.0 | R 8.5 | W 8.5 | S 7.5
GRE - Quant 780 | Verbal 470 | AWA 3.5

I'm a Petrochemical Engineer presently working at an IT MNC (fortune 500) since the past 1.7 years as a Business Analyst / Software Developer.

One may wonder why I'm doing an IT job despite being a Petro-Engineer, that's because I like IT and it's my passion.

Last year I applied for MSc in Computer Science and every single university rejected me. They said I didn't have sufficient background for a MSc in Computer Science. Also I don't qualify in the new FSW scheme, perhaps due to lack of experience.

Now I'm confused, because I want a masters in IT and want to migrate to Canada as well. I need help in the following:

1. Which course should I apply now? I am aiming at high ranked universities considering my profile and intend to get into research.
2. Are there summer intakes ? Where do I apply for a summer intake?
3. Management courses are said not to offer scholarship options ... is that true? Please give some details on this.

Thank you for your help.

Ievgen

May 17, 2013
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia (Federal)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013
Nomination.....
CSQ issued 26-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Long way to go
VISA ISSUED...
Long way to go
LANDED..........
Long way to go
mhmmdmz said:
Hey guys,

I'm a student with strong academics:
10th - 84%
12th - 90%
Engineering - 72% [top 5 in my university]
IELTS (academic) - L 9.0 | R 7.0 | W 8.0 | S 8.0
IELTS (general) - L 9.0 | R 8.5 | W 8.5 | S 7.5
GRE - Quant 780 | Verbal 470 | AWA 3.5

I'm a Petrochemical Engineer presently working at an IT MNC (fortune 500) since the past 1.7 years as a Business Analyst / Software Developer.

One may wonder why I'm doing an IT job despite being a Petro-Engineer, that's because I like IT and it's my passion.

Last year I applied for MSc in Computer Science and every single university rejected me. They said I didn't have sufficient background for a MSc in Computer Science. Also I don't qualify in the new FSW scheme, perhaps due to lack of experience.

Now I'm confused, because I want a masters in IT and want to migrate to Canada as well. I need help in the following:

1. Which course should I apply now? I am aiming at high ranked universities considering my profile and intend to get into research.
2. Are there summer intakes ? Where do I apply for a summer intake?
3. Management courses are said not to offer scholarship options ... is that true? Please give some details on this.

Thank you for your help.
Hi,

I suggest you to send some more applications than previously to maximize your chances of getting in. When I applied to grad schools I sent 15 applications and got 12 denials and 3 acceptances. Also, apply to some "above average schools" and don't aim only those from top 10. If you did undergrad back in your home country it's incredibly difficult to get into top schools even with a very strong profile. If you intend to go for a research program then summer intake is very rare and most likely you'll have to go for fall intake. Regarding management courses, I haven't heard about any financial aid associated with this field. It's usually self-funded by an applicant. And keep in mind that teaching/research assistantships are very limited for that areas of training. However, if you go for any science/engineering discipline you'll get funding in a research program. Consider going for Phd to get funding. You can drop down to MS later on after 2 years.

DocRZ

Apr 5, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila (Online)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2013
Med's Request
29-07-2013
Med's Done....
02-08-2013
Passport Req..
08-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
Your profile is impressive but I'm sorry to say this. You will really have a hard time gaining admission for MS in Computer Science because your educational background is chemical engineering. Universities have admission requirements and I think for MS in Computer Science you should have a computer related degree. Although you are now in an IT based job for 2 years, it seems your skills in IT are self-thought. Try applying for a research based masters in engineering instead of computer science. Check out different universities online to know about their researches, availability of funding, reputation. Have a list of 5 universities that you prefer then apply to 3 you think you have chances of getting admission. Usually, if you want a research based degree, you'll have to contact professors first that are willing to support you on your research. Also consider cost of living, transportation and climate. There are summer intakes but majority of research based programs start in fall. Funding is usually available for researches and very limited for management programs.

saliky3k

Aug 21, 2011
@mhmmdmz

Check Master of Applied Computer Science program offered by Dalhousie University. Candidates from other disciplines can also apply.

Best of luck!

Regards

mhmmdmz

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016
Med's Done....
08-11-2016
Passport Req..
18-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-01-2017
Thank you All for all this info.

Can you tell me which universities have summer intakes? I did see online but wasn't able to fine many. Most do not! :(

And are there MIS like courses in Canada?

Can you guys help me with Gradutate programs that are more IT-like for Chemical / Petro / Environmental Engineers?

Regarding Delhousie... many other universities said the same thing to me when I applied. The only one to explicitly say no on their website was McGill, the rest said that they accept students from different disciplines.