+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Visiting friend being abandoned by husband.

magicyte

Jul 11, 2013
I'm not sure if there's a chance of helping her out but doesn't hurt to ask here.

My friend is going through a separation. She is here as a visitor with her husband on his work visa. They have 2 daughters who have been in school here for nearly 2 years already. The husband is simply going to ditch her here in a few months.

I've helped her start the process of going to immigration centres to help find employment and have just begun searching for employers willing to write an lmo. Is there any standard in place that deals wit these extreme circumstances when a spouse abandons the other and leaves the country?

My friend wants nothing more than to stay in Canada and give her children a safe future. Is there anything that will help this situation for her?

magicyte

Jul 11, 2013
I thought there might be more compassion from immigration Canada considering the extreme circumstances and the fact the children have created ties here with school friends etc.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there are no special provisions for these types of circumstances.

If she wants to remain in Canada, then the help you're providing to her (trying to find an employer who can provide an LMO) is the right way to go.

Good luck - hope things work out for her.

magicyte

Jul 11, 2013
Yeah I was afraid of that being the only option. We went to icmanitoba.com...after that met them and they said so long as she can get a job offer and lmo that she should be fine. They seemed optimistic...so we have our fingers crossed. Luckily she speaks 3 languages so the job hunt might go easier...hopefully

magicyte

Jul 11, 2013
It's a shame for the husband to just run away from his family like that. Hearing the stories of bus bombings happening randomly is insane in Israel. I can see why she wants to build her life here in Canada for her children. No child should be brought up in those surroundings.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The most difficult step will be finding an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process. To obtain an approved LMO, an employer must advertise the job to prove that no Canadian (or someone already holding a work permit) could be found for the role. The processing time for the LMO is typically a couple of months. And even if an employer has advertised the role to prove a Canadian couldn't be hired, there's still no guarantee of approval. This is the reason why some / many employers aren't willing to go through the process.

Good luck to your friend. Hopefully she will get lucky.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
How much longer is her visit visa valid? I read recently on forum that you have to return to home country in order to change from a visit to work visa. I don't have official links to prove that though. Does anyone else know about it?

magicyte

Jul 11, 2013
She's on her husbands visa until april 2014. But it all depends on whether he really leaves or not. Luckily she has 3 languages she speaks and a jewelry background so that should give her an edge on an lmo with a jewelry sales place or telemarketing at least