+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Transfer Visa to New Passport

hungnguyen

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Dear seniors,

I would like to request a new passport before apply for PR because my old passport has some unclear pages, but the old passport has Canada visa and will be revoked and I cannot use it anymore, so:

1. How can I transfer visa to my new passport?
2. Do I have to pay the same as I got the first visa?

Thanks,

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi there,

The best way to do it is to keep the old passport with the visa on it and carry both passports till the visa expires. I have done this two times so far without any problems. It's completely legal and acceptable at any border (as long as the visa is not damaged). When applying for a new passport, compose a letter and ask them to be careful with the page that has your visa on it. They usually punch a hole on one corner or cut the edge to make your old passport void. Just ask them that your visa is not expired and you want that page to stay untouched. They will do it for you.

Now for transferring the actual visa to a new passport, I'm assuming you have to file in a new application with all new same fees. Re-applying really.

Best of luck,

Reactions: hungnguyen

hungnguyen

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Hi there,

The best way to do it is to keep the old passport with the visa on it and carry both passports till the visa expires. I have done this two times so far without any problems. It's completely legal and acceptable at any border (as long as the visa is not damaged). When applying for a new passport, compose a letter and ask them to be careful with the page that has your visa on it. They usually punch a hole on one corner or cut the edge to make your old passport void. Just ask them that your visa is not expired and you want that page to stay untouched. They will do it for you.

Now for transferring the actual visa to a new passport, I'm assuming you have to file in a new application with all new same fees. Re-applying really.

Best of luck,
I really appreciate your great advice, I just want to confirm that even though my old passport is void, my Canada visa is still acceptable at any border. Is that correct?

Also, when we have PR card, do we need the Canada visa any more?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I really appreciate your great advice, I just want to confirm that even though my old passport is void, my Canada visa is still acceptable at any border. Is that correct?

Also, when we have PR card, do we need the Canada visa any more?
Yes the visa is still acceptable if not damaged.

And no, once you get your PR card there is no need for any Canadian visa, all the visas will get automatically void once you land.

hungnguyen

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Hi Rezafc,

I have a question that is outside this topic, but I believe you know the answer. I have a police certificate which was translated in my country, I am not sure if it is acceptable for PR application. If no, can you please advise me how to get the police certificate acceptable?

Thanks,

rnakhjavani

Feb 23, 2017
My parents have valid visas in their old passport. However their old passport (including the visa page) is punched at the bottom. So the machine readable part of the visa is punched. However, the entire information on the visa is pretty clear. Can they use this VISA to travel to canada?

raynadukkandy

Apr 12, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2023
AOR Received.
19-01-2023
IELTS Request
02-12-2022
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
My parents have valid visas in their old passport. However their old passport (including the visa page) is punched at the bottom. So the machine readable part of the visa is punched. However, the entire information on the visa is pretty clear. Can they use this VISA to travel to canada?
No, since the visa is damaged, they can't. They'll have to apply for a new one

hon90

Oct 14, 2019
Hi
My passport currently has 5.5 months of validity left and has a valid PR Visa. Can I renew my passport now as I have to first travel to third country to get Covid report and then take flight to Canada. Can I renew the passport and carry both new & old passports (old passport with valid PR visa) at Port of Entery? Will I get entry in Canada?
Also do I need to notify IRCC that I have renewed my passport? as I am not sure that whether the COPR should have updated passport numer or nor. Kindly help!

raynadukkandy

Apr 12, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2023
AOR Received.
19-01-2023
IELTS Request
02-12-2022
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
Yes you can travel with both your passports. You don't have to notify the IRCC for this,

Reactions: hon90

raynadukkandy

Apr 12, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2023
AOR Received.
19-01-2023
IELTS Request
02-12-2022
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
If your old one is not available, you must apply for a new visa on your new passport. For that you'll have to make a fresh application.

mangoKane

Oct 26, 2020
If your old one is not available, you must apply for a new visa on your new passport. For that you'll have to make a fresh application.
Thanks. My old passport is not available but visa is still available,because I have a new passport,so the old passport must be given up. I have asked the vsf global visa center in Philippines,I can transfer the valid visa to new passport or bring both passport entry Canada.

Mar 18, 2023
Thanks. My old passport is not available but visa is still available,because I have a new passport,so the old passport must be given up. I have asked the vsf global visa center in Philippines,I can transfer the valid visa to new passport or bring both passport entry Canada.
Hi, I’m in the same situation as u was in. Im begging you to tell me how your situation went? Did they transfer your visa to the new passport? Please please answer me

Reactions: Travelpro