+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help to re-enter canada, open work permit holder.. India

fgonzalez84

Apr 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

I will be cross posting this under a few forums for more visibility(mods please advise).

First of all, blessings to everyone. I am so happy there is a resource online to help with these questions. We do have to admit, all this paperwork is not easy to do without help. Secondly, this post may be lengthy. Skip to the TL;DR at the bottom if you wanna skip the details.

I am posting for a friend. She is of Indian nationality. Came to Canada as a student and did her studies in Ontario. She then traveled and obtained her work permit and worked all over Canada before settling in Edmonton. Here she worked for a few years when she received her Alberta provincial nomination. She applied for her permanent residency and her work permit. Here came the bad part. Due to some rules changing, she did not include proper fees when re-applying for her latest work permit. It was declined. Second time around, something was missing and it was declined once again (keep in mind, a month or so goes by each time). By the third time, her work permit had expired and she was no longer able to work. The third application finally was correct and was approved. In the meantime she has traveled to India to visit.

Now she wishes to return to Canada. She has finally received in the mail her new Work Permit. In the remarks it says:
1) temporary resident status restored
2) apr pending (i'm guessing this means application permanent resident)

Now to re-enter.. some questions come up and browsing the forums and the CIC sites gets confusing for us... Help us if you can..
To apply for the re-entry Visa.. Can we get it at the port of entry if she shows the open work permit?
Does she need to apply at the New Delhi office? Would online be a better option?
Lastly, I know this one comes up again, but the sites were a bit confusing again.. if she needs to apply for TRV again.. which documents are needed..

TL:DR
Indian nationality has work permit expired while in Canada, Re-applies for work permit AND permanent residency.
Travels to India.
Now receives in the mail, open work permit valid.
Wants to re-enter Canada.
Is open work permit enough to enter (shown at the port of entry).
Can she apply for TRV at POE with the work permit?
Would a letter of invitation help at all?
Would she need to apply at Delhi office?

Sorry for the million questions it's just we feel pretty overloaded...

Thanks to all, blessings!

AmandeepRCIC

Apr 24, 2016
Answers to your questions are as follows:
1. Work permit does not authorize re-entry into Canada
2. India is not under visa exempt list of countries, one has to have a TRV before travelling to Canada
3. She cannot apply for a TRV at POE.
4. I believe with Letter of Invitation you are referring to the PR application under Alberta Nominee Program which is still pending, so that does not seem to be of any help as for now.
5. and yes she will have to apply at the nearest VAC, assuming from your post that she is close to New Delhi, she will have to apply for a TRV at Delhi office.

Hopefully I answered all your queries.

Amandeep

HKG

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Amandeep is absolutely right. She must apply for Temporary resident visa(TRV) in India. Without a TRV she cannot get on the flight.

mitalqa

Jan 10, 2016
HKG said:
Amandeep is absolutely right. She must apply for Temporary resident visa(TRV) in India. Without a TRV she cannot get on the flight.
Hi.

I am in same situation. So I have to apply for Visitors visa or other category?

Thanks

AmandeepRCIC

Apr 24, 2016
It depends on the type of permit, if it is a work permit, you will be issued a TRV worker, if it is a study permit, Your TRV will have Student in the Category on the counterfoil.