+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!! SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP DENIED

MJR16

Oct 7, 2016
My husband, who lives in Jamaica, had his interview at the visa office in Jamaica on March 8th. The Immigration Officer called me while he was there and said that my application was great, I had a lot of supporting documents and good photos (her words to me). My husband couldn’t recall the last time we saw each other-it was a year ago. He said, it’s been so long he just couldn’t remember despite my husband and I had conversations about events that happened during that trip the night before his interview. She then started to question him about how often we speak and made him leave the Visa Office to retrieve his cell phone and she went through his phone. She saw text messages between him and two other women, nothing serious (he took screen shots of everything and showed me). She asked me how I felt about it (at this point not knowing exactly what the officer had seen) I told her that I didn’t like it but he’s my husband, sometimes things happen in life that aren’t so great but you deal with it. I love my husband, I know he loves me so we will get through it. She then asked me if I thought he was using me and I said, absolutely not-if I did, I wouldn’t have married him.

Based on what she saw in his phone which really is benign, she denied him.

I’m devistated. I can’t eat...I’m just sick all the time. I don’t know what to do or how to do it. I’ve read that I can appeal it but I have to wait until I get documents from Immigration stating the reasons why he was denied. It’s been 2 weeks and I have not received anything.

In essence, I’m assuming she denied him because she thinks he’s not genuine. What do we do? Has anyone gone through this or can anyone advise me where to start. My kids and I are devistated.

Please...if anyone can help....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My husband, who lives in Jamaica, had his interview at the visa office in Jamaica on March 8th. The Immigration Officer called me while he was there and said that my application was great, I had a lot of supporting documents and good photos (her words to me). My husband couldn’t recall the last time we saw each other-it was a year ago. He said, it’s been so long he just couldn’t remember despite my husband and I had conversations about events that happened during that trip the night before his interview. She then started to question him about how often we speak and made him leave the Visa Office to retrieve his cell phone and she went through his phone. She saw text messages between him and two other women, nothing serious (he took screen shots of everything and showed me). She asked me how I felt about it (at this point not knowing exactly what the officer had seen) I told her that I didn’t like it but he’s my husband, sometimes things happen in life that aren’t so great but you deal with it. I love my husband, I know he loves me so we will get through it. She then asked me if I thought he was using me and I said, absolutely not-if I did, I wouldn’t have married him.

I’m devistated. I can’t eat...I’m just sick all the time. I don’t know what to do or how to do it. I’ve read that I can appeal it but I have to wait until I get documents from Immigration stating the reasons why he was denied. It’s been 2 weeks and I have not received anything.

In essence, I’m assuming she denied him because she thinks he’s not genuine. What do we do? Has anyone gone through this or can anyone advise me where to start. My kids and I are devistated.

No surprise he was refused. A year without seeing each other, he can't remember the last time he saw you and he has what can only be assumed is romantic contact with other women. It looks very much like he is using you to come to Canada. What is the relationship history? How did you meet? How much time spent together in person? When did you marry? What are your ages?

Reactions: kcward7
M

mikeymyke

I don't understand, you said they were benign, but you didn't like them? What was the nature of those texts?

As harsh as it sounds from canuck_in_uk, I have to agree that it seems likely that your husband probably just doesn't care about you and just wants to immigrate. You even mentioned that you discussed with him the night before the interview, events regarding when you last met (you shouldn't even need to discuss it, he should know everything already), and yet despite that, he still doesn't even remember the last time he met you. That's pretty crazy. Even if I haven't seen my wife in 2 years, I would definitely remember when was the last time we saw each other.

Interviews are a good way to determine if your spouse is genuine or not.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Im gunna have to agree with prior two posters. Also the fact that hes texting other women is not only a concern for ircc but would be for me too. That shouldnt be happening. Period.

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
There has to be more to this. A denial for benign text messages that the PA shared with his spouse? Extremely unreasonable. Draconian even.

faithey

Jan 12, 2012
I'm sorry, but just because the husband showed screenshots of SOME text messages, doesnt mean he showed the content of ALL the text messages. Who knows what the immigration officer saw??? Red flags for sure.

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
I know this is not right and i don't condone it but I'm very well aware of the fact that regular married people who are in genuine relationships, flirt with other people whether intentionally or not.

Well as you said, no one knows what the VO saw.

faithey

Jan 12, 2012
I know this is not right and i don't condone it but I'm very well aware of the fact that regular married people who are in genuine relationships, flirt with other people whether intentionally or not.
I do agree with that. Maybe it was a combination of that, and not knowing certain information, and his demeanor. I think the thread that was posted about appeal cases will be good for the original poster to look at. There will be a lot of information there.

Reactions: Jemnay and Forte

chayillove27

Apr 30, 2022
Good afternoon everyone! Hope all is well.

I used an immigration lawyer for my spousal sponsorship application (which I highly regret since my case was fairly simple). I applied in July 2020 and finally received a letter in regards to paying the permanent residence fee $500 in December 2021. In February 2022 I received a letter from IRCC stating that my husband should complete biometrics. In March 2022, I received a letter from IRCC asking if I was in receipt of social assistance ever since I submitted my application back in July 2020. I was on social assistance from June 2021 to August 2021, I paid back OW the money I owed them. OW sent me a receipt stating that I've paid back everything, however they wrote down the wrong amount that I paid making it seem as if I was about $3 short when in reality I paid back everything. I didn't see the mistake on the letter and my lawyers didn't see that either they ended up sending that receipt along with a letter they wrote to immigration. Two weeks later, they sent me a letter stating that their concerns wasn't satisfied because I didn't pay back social assistance. I want to reapply again and do it myself without my lawyer however he's saying that my case is complicated and they want to charge me $5000 for reapplying... that's crazy. My hubby is overseas and I've been raising my son alone, I cannot afford this amount of money but I'm also scared that I'll miss something so minuscule in the application .

I don't know what to do someone please help I need some advice.

Thank you in advance!!

JaCan2022

Oct 2, 2022

Hello, I realize you posted this few years back. Just would just like to know how your case went.
Our application was denied from Kingston as well...on basis marriage of convenience. I so do not understand how they decided. Perhaps some red flags but was easily clarified.
Do you have any advice?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I realize you posted this few years back. Just would just like to know how your case went.
Our application was denied from Kingston as well...on basis marriage of convenience. I so do not understand how they decided. Perhaps some red flags but was easily clarified.
Do you have any advice?
How much time did you spend together before getting married? How many trips? How long after did you sponsor? How many trips and how much time have you spent together since you applied for sponsorship? Is there an age difference between you two? How much? What is your husband’s job? Has he continued working? Are you currently supporting him?

JaCan2022

Oct 2, 2022
How much time did you spend together before getting married? How many trips? How long after did you sponsor? How many trips and how much time have you spent together since you applied for sponsorship? Is there an age difference between you two? How much? What is your husband’s job? Has he continued working? Are you currently supporting him?
Are you able to private mesaage me on here? Not too familiar with the navigation

JaCan2022

Oct 2, 2022
Hello
Are we able have a private conversation?