+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help ! Should i use immigration consultants ?

wckdstrom

Apr 9, 2006
UK
Having visited the latest emigrate exhibition and looked at several websites i have now have decided i want to make the move to Canada.
I have passed the eligibility assessments and would be applying through the skilled worker category as a gas fitter but i am unsure as to who i should use to help me with my application.
1. Immigration consultants quote between £4000-£8000 for the whole package but assist in finding you a job offer/relocation ect and claim to make the process quicker.
2. Immigration lawyers who quote about $1900 and claim to have better knowledge/success rates of the process than immigration consultants.
I would apply myself but the qualifications as a gas fitter in the UK seem to vary considerably from the Canadian requirements so i dont think it would be straightforward.
Has anybody had any experiences using lawyers or consultants or even emigrated as a gas fitter from the UK.
The provinces in West Canada appeal to me.
Looking at some of the timescales on this forum i want to get it right first time. :?:

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
If you don't have time or you are not confident that you will fill the forms out correctly (there are a lot of them) then go with a lawyer. They will make sure that everything is done correctly and send it back to you for approval. Once you are happy then give them the word and they will file for you.

If you have the time and you are happy to fill the forms out yourself then go for it and good luck.

4000 - 8000GBP for an immigration consultant is way over the top (that's between $8000 and $16000 (CND) - whoever quoted you that is trying to rip you off - tell them to go to hell. You should expect to pay no more than $2000 (CND) for a consultant and no more than $6000 (CND) for a qualified immigration lawyer. If you shop around you can get deals for much less than this.

I wouldn't bother with a consultant, not that there is anything wrong with them (other than the theif who tried to rob you), but if things get sticky then you would need a lawyer to represent you in court. If you had to go find a new lawyer then you would have to pay them to study and learn your file - that in itself would cost you a few hours.

If you can afford a couple of thousand GBP then get a lawyer, ask as many questions as you like, get them to help you with the paperwork and buy yourself a little piece of mind.

Hoe this helps you out.

wckdstrom

Apr 9, 2006
UK
Thanks for the reply.
Yes it does help as i always had the lawyer route in mind with regards to applying for a visa but i heard that some consultants will do all this and more i.e meet you at airports, help with relocation/job hunting ,arranging exploratory trips etc.
I thought the fees were excessive but I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using any consultants before i dismissed them.
i am planning on an exploratory trip in August ,so any advice on how i should make best of my time would be much appreciated.

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
Well, your lifestyle will depend on how best to spend your time. For example, if you have a young family you would want to investigate daycare places, cost etc and locations to school. If you don't have kids you might be more interested in social scenes such as bars, restaraunts etc.

Where in Canada are you thinking of settling?

wckdstrom

Apr 9, 2006
UK
I have not looked in great detail but the west coast appeals most
Maybe the usual places calgary,alberta,vancover, wherever the jobs are.
On the other hand i looked at some real estate prices in Manitoba and they were incredibly cheap.
However i have an open mind at the moment, i will just have to make my mind up before we book the trip.
I like a bit of space within a community but also be within a short distance to a modern city.Best of both worlds i suppose
House prices will be a factor in the end.
i have a family so schools, leisure facilities will play a big part, mind you i wouldn`t say no to a few bars here and there!

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
I moved to Nova Scotia, it's a beautiful part of the world but the local economy is a bit crappy - salary's are low compared to the rest of Canada. I have never been West so I can't help you there.

Where in the UK are you from?

rely

Star Member
Mar 3, 2006
India
wckdstrom said:
Having visited the latest emigrate exhibition and looked at several websites i have now have decided i want to make the move to Canada.
I have passed the eligibility assessments and would be applying through the skilled worker category as a gas fitter but i am unsure as to who i should use to help me with my application.
1. Immigration consultants quote between £4000-£8000 for the whole package but assist in finding you a job offer/relocation ect and claim to make the process quicker.
2. Immigration lawyers who quote about $1900 and claim to have better knowledge/success rates of the process than immigration consultants.
I would apply myself but the qualifications as a gas fitter in the UK seem to vary considerably from the Canadian requirements so i dont think it would be straightforward.
Has anybody had any experiences using lawyers or consultants or even emigrated as a gas fitter from the UK.
The provinces in West Canada appeal to me.
Looking at some of the timescales on this forum i want to get it right first time. :?:

Dont waste your money.
Firstly,Consultants or lawyers cant expedite your application.
Secondly,They will be just filling a form and collecting documents from you which in case initially you have to do it and give to your lawyer or consultant for him to prepare.
Thirdly you have to get all your police clearances and certificates.Lawyer wont be accompanying you to these agencies.If you dont have addresses of these agencies you can ask me or this forum.Simple.
Fourthly,Money you have to pay ie Canadian govt fee.So for pay order you have to go to the bank and not lawyer.
Finally he will be collecting all these documents from you and will be sending to the embassy.THEY ARE all glorified COURIER SERVICE PROVIDERS.

Start from here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/Education.asp

Dont waste money.Ask me free of cost in case of any doubt.

rely