+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help ! Should I renew my Visitor Visa or not?

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
Hi everyone !

I open a new topic since I didn't find any similar case in the forum.

I'm from ARGENTINA. I'm currently living in Quebec City with my wife (quebecer) under a visitor visa while I wait for the Permanent Residence to be processed (we sent the application in February).

I am in Canada since February 2012, so my status of visitor would be OK until August 2012.

However, my Temporary Residence Visa (Visitor), I mean the sticker on the passport to be clear enough hehe, expires on June, 28 2012.

Can I apply for an extension of my visitor status now, for example for another 6 months, even if my Visa is expiring in June ?

Or is it simpler to leave Canada, let's say go to USA, and re-enter ? In that case, let's say I go to New York in June (before de 28 of course), when I come back to Canada will they give me a 6 month visitor status or no?

I'm quite mixed up !

The last piece of information I want to give you is that we are planning to go to Argentina in september, so I could apply for a new Temporary Residence Visa then, but the problem now is to extend my status until september, minimum.

Last question, can one apply for a new Temporary Residence Visa from inside Canada ???

Thank you all! ;D

MSP2YYZ

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2011
Doc's Request.
08-10-2011
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
11/01/12
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Med's Request
11-01-2012
Med's Done....
30-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2012
LANDED..........
16-12-2012
If your plan is to stay with your wife until processing is complete, it is safer for you to apply for an extension from within Canada. The reason why is if you leave the country, they don't have to let you back in. But if you show proof that you submitted the PR application already, you should be able to get an extension of stay for the time you need.

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
Absolutely apply for an extension of your visitor visa. Regardless of your application for permanent residence with your wife as sponsor, you must keep in status.

Just send in your application to Vegreville a month prior to expiration of status and even if it is not decided before your expiration date you have implied status as a visitor until a decision is made.

Best of luck on the application.

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
Thank you both!

But my Tourist Visa expires the 28th of June 2012; can I apply for an extension of lets say six more months even if my Visa is expiring next month??? Or the Visa just matters when it's time to do migrations at the airport and enter the country ???

Thanks again !!

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
People usually ask to have the extension for as long as the in Canada application process takes and it is often approved. Of course it is most important to be clear that even if the in Canada application is refused that you will depart Canada as required when the decision is made.

You may apply again from your own country if the application is refused in Canada.

If you don't keep in status while waiting for the decision on your application CBSA officers could write a report that you are an overstay and this could/would likely result in a removal order being issued. By maintaining status and following all other legal requirements in Canada that problem doesn't arise and you await the answer to your PR application secure in the knowledge that you have done and not done anything to result in a negative decision.

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is his an inland app? I was under the impression inland apps had implied status

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
My PR application is outland.

Can I ask an extension of the visitor status for six months even if my Temporary Residence Visa expires in one month ?

Can I apply for a new Temporary Residence Visa even if my current one is still valid?

I guess if yes I need to send my documents by the post to Argentina, since one cannot apply for TRV in Canada, right?

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
If you have an in Canada application in process from within our outside Canada you may apply to extend your visitor status from within Canada. The application is sent to Vegreville, Alberta - you the application to change the condiitons of your stay in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

If you wish to extend your status date, you should apply 30 days before your status expires in order to do any of the following:

extend your visitor, student or work status

Once sent and you have your receipt that it was sent and received at Vegreville, you have implied status until the decision is made on the visitor extension application.

Unless there is some reason not to, why not request an extension until the decision is made on the inland application - that could be more than 6 months. That way you won't need to apply again if the decision is to only give 6 months is you ask for that. Of course CIC may decide, regardless of how long you request the extension, to refuse or give a shorter time on the extension.

re: wolanila - it is incorrect that just applying from in Canada provides implied status - you are required to maintain the status you had when you were allowed forward into Canada. The only status related situation and an inland application is that one cannot be refused the inland only on the basis of not having status - but without status it is possible to be subject of a report that could result in a removal order if you CBSA finds you are out of status. This could also result in expulsion or deportation from Canada without an answer to the inland application. Always maintain your status in Canada.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
hi my wife applied for permenant resident inside Canada and her visa will be expire in december .so my question is if you applied for permenet resident still you have to extend your visa ? we are waiting for decision made by CIC on our PR