+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help: Should I raise the PNP issue during a job interview?

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Hi everyone. I have just received a job interview invitation and am preparing for it now. I am currently an international student holding a post-graduation work permit. Ideally, I would like my employer to help me with PNP application process. However, I'm not sure if it is advisable to raise this issue during the first round of this job interview. Or I should wait and there is other more convenient opportunity? According to experience, how to phrase this concern to your potential employer? I would really like to hear any of your advice. Thank you!

yuvraj7

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
liherb said:
Hi everyone. I have just received a job interview invitation and am preparing for it now. I am currently an international student holding a post-graduation work permit. Ideally, I would like my employer to help me with PNP application process. However, I'm not sure if it is advisable to raise this issue during the first round of this job interview. Or I should wait and there is other more convenient opportunity? According to experience, how to phrase this concern to your potential employer? I would really like to hear any of your advice. Thank you!
If I would be U! FOR SURE I WILL TELL MY EMPLOYER THAT I AM A FOREIGN WORKER AND WELL EXPLAIN HIM ABOUT HOW PNP WORKS.....
BECAUSE THERE ARE 2 REASONS
1.IF SUPPOSE AFTER 6 MONTHS U TELL HIM IT CAN PUT U IN TROUBLE IF HE REFUSES AND MAY AT THAT TIME QUESTION RISE THAT WHY U DIDN'T TOLD ME AT THE TIME OF INTERVIEW SO ITS BETTER TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR AT THE BEGINNING.
2.THERE IS NO HARM IN TELLING HIM AS HE WILL FEEL SECURE THAT THE EMPLOYEE IS LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM JOB .

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
yuvraj7 said:
If I would be U! FOR SURE I WILL TELL MY EMPLOYER THAT I AM A FOREIGN WORKER AND WELL EXPLAIN HIM ABOUT HOW PNP WORKS.....
BECAUSE THERE ARE 2 REASONS
1.IF SUPPOSE AFTER 6 MONTHS U TELL HIM IT CAN PUT U IN TROUBLE IF HE REFUSES AND MAY AT THAT TIME QUESTION RISE THAT WHY U DIDN'T TOLD ME AT THE TIME OF INTERVIEW SO ITS BETTER TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR AT THE BEGINNING.
2.THERE IS NO HARM IN TELLING HIM AS HE WILL FEEL SECURE THAT THE EMPLOYEE IS LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM JOB .
Thank you for replying. Regarding your reason #1, I don't quite understand what kind of trouble will arise if they refuse to help me with PNP after 6 month? Any legal concerns? Could you please explain a bit more?

yuvraj7

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
well there are no legal troubles though some employers think that they have to go through lmo process because of the inappropriate knowledge and secondly if he refuses then you have to start from the scratch again to get 6 months exp.
may this help u....

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
I would advise you not to. I personally never brought the issue up during any of my interviews. Companies don't like complications, they don't want to deal with extra paper work if they can hire a Canadian. Obviously this depends on the industry and the skill shortage

Once you get the job, at least make it through probation (3 months) then you're fine and get the docs together for PNP

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
liherb said:
Seriously, why would you want to complicate a job opportunity? This is a classic case of volunteering unecessary info that could hang you. Most employers are not interested in complicating their duties, especially if they do not understand how these programs work. Moreso, you are an unproven employee...so they do not even know if you are worth the hastle...so why would they be willing to commit to you without even knowing your work ethic?You will be wise not to raise anything with regards immigration. You are eligible to work in Canada, full stop. If/when you get the job and after a few weeks, only you can determine if your boss/employer might be willing to sign your PNP application. Otherwise hold your peace and quietly use the Canadian Experience Class Option to get your PR status.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
vbomb said:
I would advise you not to. I personally never brought the issue up during any of my interviews. Companies don't like complications, they don't want to deal with extra paper work if they can hire a Canadian. Obviously this depends on the industry and the skill shortage

Once you get the job, at least make it through probation (3 months) then you're fine and get the docs together for PNP
+1

the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/LA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AINP_00-03-2009, CIC_08-04-2010
Doc's Request.
na
Nomination.....
29-11-2009
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
IELTS Request
na
File Transfer...
05-01-2011 to LA
Med's Request
24-07-2010
Med's Done....
06-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18 March, 2011
LANDED..........
18 July, 2011
I agree with vbomb and I wouldn't mention anything about immigration in the interview, unless they intentionally discuss this with you. Your purpose of the interview is to secure a job, most likely it is your first job. I have been told that the most important qualification to get a job in north america is you have previous experience. So don't be too aggressive in your debut hunting. Once you get through the first 3 or 6 months, you can talk this seriously with your boss. If he/she would like to help, that is good and your immigration only delays 6 months. But if he/she wouldn't, most likely they wouldn't help in the very beginning but you got an job and earned experience which will definitely help you find another job later easily.

"the"

dodge_ram

Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Aug 2010
Nomination.....
Sept 2010
AOR Received.
Nov 2010
Med's Request
May 2011
Med's Done....
May 2011
Interview........
none
LANDED..........
Sept 2011
what if the employer says "no" to pnp? . will you still accept the job offer? that answers your question. if you say yes, then dont bother bringing it up during the interview. But if you say no, will not accept the job, then you have to ask the employer. But of course, i bet you will only say no to employer if you got any other job offer from another employer that supports nomination.