+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Returning Canad without PR card. What to do at the departure airport?

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I have an emergency that need to go back to my country. I am in the middle of waiting for my PR card renewal, but I am unlucky that my application went for further review, but I still e-mailed CIC with copied of my round trip but it went unsuccessful.

I will stay in my country for only 1 week because my kids need to go back here for school so I do not have enough time for getting Travel document.

I understand that I can come back here by a private vehicle but if we depart from nearest US airport it will cost like $3500!!!! From Canada to my country is only $1400

I searched this forum that permanent resident can come back to Canada by air without PR card.

My passport is visa exempt country to Canada.

Should I travel to Canada as a tourist with fully refund ticket from Canada?

When I see the immigration officer at Canada, will I really have not problem getting in?

I have three kids and all of them have Canadian passport. So will it be strange for airline that I am going to fly as tourist to enter Canada with Canadian family?

Is this the way to go?

Please give me any tip!

Thank you so much

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
chinachan said:
Should I travel to Canada as a tourist with fully refund ticket from Canada?
Yes. You can fly to Canada under your visa-exempt passport only. Just try not to mention you are a PR, else the airline may demand to then see a valid PR card which you won't have and it will just cause confusion. For the purpose of the airline, you would just be a visitor to Canada.

Worst case scenario is they will not want you to travel to Canada on a 1-way ticket. If this happens you can buy a fully refundable return ticket on the spot, then just cancel it afterwards.

When I see the immigration officer at Canada, will I really have not problem getting in?
You do not require a PR card to enter Canada. Once at Canadian airport, you can just show your passport and COPR and that is more than enough to allow CBSA to look up your PR status on their computer.

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Yes. You can fly to Canada under your visa-exempt passport only. Just try not to mention you are a PR, else the airline may demand to then see a valid PR card which you won't have and it will just cause confusion. For the purpose of the airline, you would just be a visitor to Canada.

Worst case scenario is they will not want you to travel to Canada on a 1-way ticket. If this happens you can buy a fully refundable return ticket on the spot, then just cancel it afterwards.

You do not require a PR card to enter Canada. Once at Canadian airport, you can just show your passport and COPR and that is more than enough to allow CBSA to look up your PR status on their computer.
Rob-TO

Thank you sooooo much for your advise!!!!!!!! I am so relieved now. I am so frustrated with my Pr card renewal.... waiting and waiting and now I have no idea when it get renewed.

At last I have one more question would like to ask you. My kids have dual citizenship(one is Canadian)
Should they show airline non-Canadian passport (also visa exempt) with fully refundable air ticket instead of Canadian passport?
Is this way safer that all of us are tourist in front of airline???

Thank you for your kind comment.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
chinachan said:
Rob-TO

Thank you sooooo much for your advise!!!!!!!! I am so relieved now. I am so frustrated with my Pr card renewal.... waiting and waiting and now I have no idea when it get renewed.

At last I have one more question would like to ask you. My kids have dual citizenship(one is Canadian)
Should they show airline non-Canadian passport (also visa exempt) with fully refundable air ticket instead of Canadian passport?
Is this way safer that all of us are tourist in front of airline???

Thank you for your kind comment.
They should just show their Canadian passports, seems the easiest to me. Don't see any reason it would cause problems as it's not a rule Canadian kids must have Canadian citizen parent.

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
They should just show their Canadian passports, seems the easiest to me. Don't see any reason it would cause problems as it's not a rule Canadian kids must have Canadian citizen parent.
Thank You Rob_To!