+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help please!

Mellyhead123

Star Member
Sep 18, 2016
I have been reading lots of different advice and information on these forums including the Facebook group.. this is my situation..

I was under the impression that once IEC is up, that's it with regards to working unless you have an ITA through EE where you can have a BOWP? What's this while implied status thing? How is it possible to carry on working if your work permit has expired and your SIN unless you work under the table??

My situation is my IEC expires May 31st. I've applied for a student visa to start studying May 8th. With a student visa I am aware I can still work but with a limited amount of hours throughout semester time. As I already have SIN, does this get extended and do I just carry on working but reduce the hours? Or do I have to apply for something alongside the study visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no implied status with IEC visas. Implied status applies to other classes of work permit. But not to IECs since they can't be extended. You'll need to stop working as soon as your IEC expires.

You cannot work under the study permit until you begin your classes full time (i.e. it is illegal to work before your classes begin). Once you begin your classes full time, you'll be able to work for up to 20 hours per week off campus.

Mellyhead123

Star Member
Sep 18, 2016
This is what I thought... I feel like people just give you information on these forums to shut you up haha!
Yeah my classes actually start before my IEC expires so my IEC will turn into a study visa before it's expiry!

I don't actually have to apply for the permit? I just carry on working where I am just reduce the hours? Also what about my SIN? Doesn't this expire when my IEC does?

Thank you for your help!