+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help please

vin22

Mar 24, 2014
Dear all,

I am still looking for a new job which would qualify under PR category. My work permit will expire Aug 2015, which means even if I am lucky to find a new job, I would still not get a 12 month work experience to apply under CEC. I am also planning to register for a Masters Part time programme at a reputed University. My workvisa has not arrived yet but it should be valid until August 2015, in accordance with my work permit validly. Do you think I will get an extension on my visa as I would be registered for a masters part time programme? I am worried and confused if I should register for my masters? Please please help sort out maters for me.

vin22

Mar 24, 2014
Worried, help please!!!

vin22 said:
Dear all,

I am still looking for a new job which would qualify under PR category. My work permit will expire Aug 2015, which means even if I am lucky to find a new job, I would still not get a 12 month work experience to apply under CEC. I am also planning to register for a Masters Part time programme at a reputed University. My workvisa has not arrived yet but it should be valid until August 2015, in accordance with my work permit validly. Do you think I will get an extension on my visa as I would be registered for a masters part time programme? I am worried and confused if I should register for my masters? Please please help sort out maters for me.
Dear jsm0085 and all the other seniors, would really appreciate your comments. Please help!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's not entirely clear what you're asking. If you are asking if your post graduate work permit (open work permit) will be extended if you begin attending a part-time Masters program, then the answer is no. If you want to extend your work permit, you need an approved LMIA from your employer.

vin22

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks for your response Scylla. I am on a contract which ends 1st week of jan 2015. I am still looking out for a new job which wil qualify for PR and my pgwp(open work permit) will expire Aug 2015. I want to do my masters in sept 2015. But wondering since my work permit is expiring before that, then on what basis can I stay back to do my part time masters? Just incase I am unable to find a job. What are my chances. Also with regards to PR have heard from friends that 12 months of work is all that's needed to qualify. Please advise as I am so confused and not sure about my future.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I understand you currently have a job that does not qualify for CEC and are actively looking for a job that does qualify. However, your work permit expires in Aug 2015 and by this point their is no possibility you will have the required 12 months of work experience to apply for PR through CEC. If this is right, you are correct, you won't be eligible to apply for PR.

Unless I'm missing something else, I see no reason why you can't go ahead and apply for a study visa for the masters program.

Good luck.

vin22

Mar 24, 2014
Thank you jsm0085 for your response. So to summarise PR under CEC is valid only during the 3 years of Pgwp, n what about Bowp? Do you think In case I find a PR qualified job, would the Bowp help then? Isn't there any other option to apply for PR?

I am looking for options if you could please help.

Best regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vin22 said:
Thank you jsm0085 for your response. So to summarise PR under CEC is valid only during the 3 years of Pgwp, n what about Bowp? Do you think In case I find a PR qualified job, would the Bowp help then? Isn't there any other option to apply for PR?

I am looking for options if you could please help.
No - CEC has nothing to do with PGWP. To qualify to apply under CEC, you must have one year of full time work experience.

You don't qualify for a BOWP. A BOWP is only approved once you've applied for an immigration program (such as CEC) and have AOR. And again, you won't qualify to apply for CEC until you have at least one year of qualifying full time work experience.

I think you need to do more reading to understand Canada's immigration programs. If you want to apply under CEC, then you need the full year of work experience. Taking a part time masters won't help. You need to get an approved LMIA from your employer so that you can work longer in Canada.

jjfly

Dec 13, 2014
IIRC post-grad work permit is issued to you only once in lifetime... so even you graduate again with a new degree (master's), you won't be able to get a new pg work permit...

cecj

Star Member
Nov 4, 2014
you have a good option if you do full time master degree then you can apply for PNP whist is fast process for immigration than CEC

vin22

Mar 24, 2014
Thank you so much Scylla , jsm0085 and cecj. Much appreciated.

I am beginning to understand the immigration process now. So I guess it's best for me to apply for a full time masters programme, which would be valid as long as my programme.
A) Won't I be getting a work permit after I graduate?
B) I wil register for Fall 2015. When should I apply for a study permit and how long do you think it takes to get one?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
vin22 said:
Thank you so much Scylla , jsm0085 and cecj. Much appreciated.

I am beginning to understand the immigration process now. So I guess it's best for me to apply for a full time masters programme, which would be valid as long as my programme.
A) Won't I be getting a work permit after I graduate?
B) I wil register for Fall 2015. When should I apply for a study permit and how long do you think it takes to get one?
A) As said before, PGWP are once in a lifetime. If you already have one before, you won't get one after your master graduation. You need a job supported by LMIA in order to get a work permit.

B) Get SP as soon as you receive official offer letter from your university and other supporting documents