+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help, Please, urgent.

jasonhw

Jul 21, 2010
Hello.
My 3 years post graduate work permit is expiring soon, Am I able to get an extension on that?
I have been working throughout the three years.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jasonhw said:
Hello.
My 3 years post graduate work permit is expiring soon, Am I able to get an extension on that?
I have been working throughout the three years.
No, not without an LMO from an employer.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If your employer wants to keep you on as a Temporary Foreign Worker, they will have to apply for an LMO. If they receive a positive LMO, you can then apply for a work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

Note that, to get an LMO, the position has to be "skilled," that is NOC level O, A, or B.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/html/Matrix.html

sunshy

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
Why dont you apply for PR? Ok i'm exploring immigration after graduate studies and am just at that phase where i'm reading different posts to have a better idea. On the cic website they said if you have worked in skill level 0, A or B then you can apply for permanent residency. There is nothing mentioned about an LMO or is it that i dont have complete information?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sunshy said:
Why dont you apply for PR? Ok i'm exploring immigration after graduate studies and am just at that phase where i'm reading different posts to have a better idea. On the cic website they said if you have worked in skill level 0, A or B then you can apply for permanent residency. There is nothing mentioned about an LMO or is it that i dont have complete information?
Jasonhw probably intends to do that. The problem is, PR takes a long time to process. Even if he applies for PR, once the work permit expires, he has to leave Canada, and he's trying to avoid that. So even if he has already applied for PR, he STILL needs to get the LMO/TWP to stay (working) in Canada...

On the other hand, he could explore the Provincial Nominee Program for the province in which he lives. If he qualifies (is approved by the province) and submits the 2nd application to CIC, some of the PNPs will get work permits for the applicant while the PR application is in process... It also takes a long time (2 applications) and costs more, but in some cases it is worth it if you can get both the TWP and later the PR...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/index.asp

sunshy

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
I tried asking for the following information but no1 replied. This is probably a suitable place to ask again. Please help!!

Can a 14 months MASc ( 4 semesters) degree be counted as 2 years study? There is a note at the bottom of one of the experience class webpages :

Definitions
•Full-time studies – To be eligible, you must have been considered “full-time” at your school.
•Two years of study – At least 16 months—or four semesters—within the 24 months before completing a full-time post-secondary program of study in Canada.

CAn anyone explain this? Please!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Probably not, but for a better answer you'll need to be more specific about the program. What MASc, where, and what is the usual time to completion for the program?

sunshy

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
MASc in engineering, from a public university, usual time is 14 months but i emailed them and they said that it is also upto the students. i asked them from immigration point of view and as exected they didnt know if it qualified. If i take an additional semester and the duration gets long will it be qualified? i mean i doubt it works that way...