+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help please! Sponsoring Sister - possible?

oOBubbles21

Nov 28, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario
Hello all - thank you in advance for reading my question. My common-law partner would like to sponsor his sister from Jamaica. She lives on her own - is 24 years old. They have the same mother, but different father. She is the product of rape and does not know her father. She doesn't own any property and rents an apartment. My partner has children who are born in Canada and he is a citizen of Canada. We would like to know what is the best way to get her here and have her stay here. He has supported her financially throughout the years by sending a monthly allowance, and I have no idea if she even works. He's waited this long because of personal issues and his sister's lazyness. She would like to come up by December. Does she have to have a medical and police report done before she can get approved for a visitors visa?? Should he just try to sponsor her even though the application process will take a longer time??

We are not sure what to do. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what other information you need from me. My partner makes $60K + per annum.

Thanks again for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

oOBubbles21 said:
Hello all - thank you in advance for reading my question. My common-law partner would like to sponsor his sister from Jamaica. She lives on her own - is 24 years old. They have the same mother, but different father. She is the product of rape and does not know her father. She doesn't own any property and rents an apartment. My partner has children who are born in Canada and he is a citizen of Canada. We would like to know what is the best way to get her here and have her stay here. He has supported her financially throughout the years by sending a monthly allowance, and I have no idea if she even works. He's waited this long because of personal issues and his sister's lazyness. She would like to come up by December. Does she have to have a medical and police report done before she can get approved for a visitors visa?? Should he just try to sponsor her even though the application process will take a longer time??

We are not sure what to do. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what other information you need from me. My partner makes $60K + per annum.

Thanks again for your help.
1. The sister is not sponsorable as she is over 18 and not an orphan.
2. If she want to come for a visit, she will have to demonstrate ties to Jamaica (job property etc) before she would be issued a TRV (Visitor visa) See: http://geo.international.gc.ca/latin-america/jamaica/visa/visa-temporary-resident-en.aspx#1

PMM