+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help please ! Proof of identification of minor ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
Examples include:

PR Card as an identification document is not accepted in this case
I do not necessarily read this the same as you, in that it does not specifically say that a PR card is not accepted.

"Examples include" and then not listing a document does NOT (necessarily) mean that this document will not be accepted.

That said, it's quite unclear and not well formulated. (As I note, I'm pretty sure we did include copy of the PR card as identification, and we certainly did not hear about any issue with it).

Photocopy of two (2) pieces of identification, one which must have a photo. Examples include:
permanent resident card (PR card);
  • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
Now this is more clear. The only weird part is: it says that PR card is acceptable IF and only if your other piece of ID is issued by the Canadian government.

But then NONE of the other docs that they list as examples are issued by Canadian government (but provincial). Or do they mean Canadian governments (plural) ie to include provincial, municipal etc governments.

And if not, then why have this requirement that no-one could fulfill? (Proviso, there probably are a few other docs issued by Canadian govt but not many, and they would be rare cases).

This is a hot mess.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Reactions: limhockkiong

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
@armoured The following texts only apply to Adults, not minors (or at least it was only included in the guide for adults, and not in the guide for minor's application):
Photocopy of two (2) pieces of identification, one which must have a photo. Examples include:
permanent resident card (PR card);
  • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
The guide for minors does not have the above text (i.e. does not have "if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government").

The fact that you submitted passport (was it only the biographical page or everything?) and PR card and was accepted is inconsistent with @Aza55 experience. He submitted the same and was not accepted.

I just submitted the application package for my wife and kids today and included the following:

Wife:
Photocopies of passports (every single page, both expired passports and current passports covering the 5 year eligibility period)
Alberta driver's license
PR card (an extra ID, just to be safe)

Kids:
Photocopies of only the biographical pages of their passports (both expired and current passports covering the 5 year eligibility period)
Alberta healthcare cards (no photo)

Fingers crossed now!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The fact that you submitted passport (was it only the biographical page or everything?) and PR card and was accepted is inconsistent with @Aza55 experience. He submitted the same and was not accepted.

I just submitted the application package for my wife and kids today and included the following:
Well, I covered in a separate thread (details don't matter), but I had the app for my child returned even though I'm convinced the documents we provided were sufficient.

So I very much agree that wherever possible submitting an extra ID is a good idea and it's worth a few extra weeks to get and include an extra doc if possible. Note, since they accept docs for kids like school ID, or health card, take the extra time.

(To clarify we were applying under the section 5(2) - citizen parent on behalf of child)

Reactions: limhockkiong

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
A returned application due to minor ID is quite common. It happened to us, and I was surprised at how many people on the chat boards had submitted two IDs that were on the government webpage, and still had it returned (such as a passport and provincial health card). We provided a passport (accepted): Hospital records (not accepted), Pediatrician records (not accepted).

Reactions: armoured

Jelsa22

Jan 8, 2022
Hello,
I just received back my package as incomplete - You have not submitted two identification documents for your child..
We submitted Passport (foreign with all pages) and PR card.

So here we go again:

1. Will the Provincial card be accepted as a second identification document?
2.Sending back the package by just adding the Health card will be enough or I have to redo the application (family of 4). - we applied in January 2022.

Appreciate your help

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,
I just received back my package as incomplete - You have not submitted two identification documents for your child..
We submitted Passport (foreign with all pages) and PR card.

So here we go again:

1. Will the Provincial card be accepted as a second identification document?
2.Sending back the package by just adding the Health card will be enough or I have to redo the application (family of 4). - we applied in January 2022.

Appreciate your help
Provincial health cards are accepted
In our case we provided passport copy (bio pages) and Ontario’s Health Insurance card(OHIP) for the kids

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
I believe you have 90 days from original submission to just resubmit, otherwise you need to redo the cover page. I am so sorry it took so long for them to get back to you.

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
@armoured The following texts only apply to Adults, not minors (or at least it was only included in the guide for adults, and not in the guide for minor's application):

The guide for minors does not have the above text (i.e. does not have "if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government").

Wife:
Photocopies of passports (every single page, both expired passports and current passports covering the 5 year eligibility period)
Alberta driver's license

Kids:
Photocopies of only the biographical pages of their passports (both expired and current passports covering the 5 year eligibility period)
Alberta healthcare cards (no photo)

Fingers crossed now!
Mine was returned yesterday with the reason and as quoted by the original poster this is a requirement for minors only.

I will resend it along with the Provincial health card(no photo) and maybe the immunization record as well.

mmustafa

Aug 25, 2017
We applied as a family in December and the paper came back saying that “ you have not submitted two identification documents for child “ but I have submitted both the pr cards for the kids along with the passport first page ! What is missing here ? What should i add to their application? And how to re apply my documents given that the adult application is accepted?
Hello, how do you resolve this?

mani194

Sep 26, 2023
Mine was returned yesterday with the reason and as quoted by the original poster this is a requirement for minors only.

I will resend it along with the Provincial health card(no photo) and maybe the immunization record as well.
Hi, I am in the same boat. was your application accepted with non-photo health card and PR?

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
This is old but I haven't logged in here in awhile and thought I'd update with my experience. I tried submitting two foreign passports and the PR card and was denied. I did this before we had firmly landed in Canada last year. I resubmitted a month ago now that we have been living here for close to a year with the addition of a health card and it has been accepted this time. I was applying under subsection 5(2) for my kids.