+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help please! International PHD Graduate Stream: Once nominated...Language Test

sarx121

Mar 30, 2012
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with this. I have been succesfully nominated under the International PHD program in the Ontario Nomination Program. I am about to send in my application to CIC for the final stages of expediated processing BUT I am confused about the English Language Test and whether it is indeed a requirement to send it (as there is only reference made to NOC C +D which are semi-skilled ).

On the CIC website and correct page - Language requirements – Provincial nominees, it is instructed:

"Who must undergo language testing
As of July 1, 2012, most Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) applicants in National Occupation Classification (NOC) Skill Levels C and D occupations will be required to undergo mandatory language testing and achieve a minimum standard of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 in each of the four abilities (listening, speaking, reading and writing) prior to obtaining a provincial nomination certificate.

Applicants will also be required to include a copy of their language test results when submitting their application for permanent residence to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Exceptions

Applicants who meet one of the following exceptions do not need to provide language test results with their application for permanent residence:

Temporary Foreign Workers in National Occupation Classification C and D occupations who arrived in Canada on or before July 1, 2012 and who are nominated in a Provincial Nominee Program employer-driven stream before July 1, 2013; or
Provincial Nominee Program applicants in NOC C and D occupations who applied for a provincial nomination certificate before July 1, 2012.
As of July 1, 2013, all National Occupation Classification C and D Provincial Nominees will have to provide a copy of their language test results with their application for permanent residence.

When the Centralized Intake Office reviews each NOC C and D Provincial Nominee Program application for completeness, they will use the “Test required?” column in the nomination spreadsheet to determine whether valid language test results should be included in the application....

Basically there is NO reference made to the skilled categories. However as a PHD graduate with no job offer, it is confusing whether I have to complete this Test and submt it. I have assigned a NOC code which starts with the number 9, and therefore does not fall under any particular NOC A, B category according to my understading or does it?

In addition in the Document Checkilist, and under the section English Language Test - there is ONLY reference made to NOC C + D categories.

I have called the CIC Call Centre Agency but as I am overseas currently, the connection has been bad the numerous times I have been on the phone with them.

Has anyne been nominated under the same stream (ie. International PHD Graduate stream) and if yes, were you required to send in the Languae Test?

There is no clear answer to this anyweher on the CIC website.

Thank you!

sarx121

Mar 30, 2012
I thought I would get at least 1 reply however I am 90% sure that no English Language Test is required under the International PHD Graduate Stream - nomination stream for the CIC processing. I suppose there are very few candidates who have applied under this stream. Anyways I am submitting the application, without the language test.

Om1280

Nov 1, 2016
Hi,

I just received my Provincial Nomination and am having the same issue. I cannot find if as a Ph.D. graduate I need to take an English test. After you submitted your application were you asked to take an English exam or was it Ok without it?

Thanks,

LittleHuang

Star Member
May 12, 2016
This is a very tricky situation.

For the Ontario PNP-human capital-PhD graduate stream, there's no need to take any language test to be nominated. (You've already been nominated)

However, after the nomination, when you apply for the PR in the federal level under PNP stream using paper based application. It's my understanding that there's no specific information on whether any particular steam need language test or not. From their checklist, the language test is REQUIRED. Period. (The checklist is the same for every PNP-PR paper base application).

With that being said, the safe way is to take the language test. (Wont be hard for a PhD graduate) OR you can try your luck and attach an explanation letter for your situation.

I agree all PhD graduates are very good at arguments in your thesis. But remember, the agent reviewing your profile may only be a secondary school graduate.

Majda

Nov 10, 2017
I thought I would get at least 1 reply however I am 90% sure that no English Language Test is required under the International PHD Graduate Stream - nomination stream for the CIC processing. I suppose there are very few candidates who have applied under this stream. Anyways I am submitting the application, without the language test.
HI, do you get a final answer if we have to submit an English exam or not?

Reactions: gandomgun and ymna
Apr 24, 2019
Hi there,
I have the same question. Nor sure whether I need to do language test or not when I apply for PR, after being nominated through Ontario PNP PhD-stream. Does any one know the definite answer? Thanks a lot!

Apr 24, 2019
Hi,

I am PNP PhD-stream applicant. There is absolutely no need for language test. 120% certainty.

Thanks.
Thank you very much for your kind help! Sorry, I'm a bit OCD, just want to confirm language test is not needed as applying for BOTH Ontario Provincial Nominee AND thereafter the PR (if I am nominated), right? Or say, PNP PhD-stream nominee does not need language test for PR application. Is this correct? Thank you very much!

stalle_007

Apr 11, 2019
Thank you very much for your kind help! Sorry, I'm a bit OCD, just want to confirm language test is not needed as applying for BOTH Ontario Provincial Nominee AND thereafter the PR (if I am nominated), right? Or say, PNP PhD-stream nominee does not need language test for PR application. Is this correct? Thank you very much!
No. Language test is not needed for both. You have to download the checklist for PR application. You will then see from the checklist, there is no requirement for language test for ONIP nominee. Same reason, ONIP does not require proof of funding and Neither does PR application once you are nominated.

Apr 24, 2019
No. Language test is not needed for both. You have to download the checklist for PR application. You will then see from the checklist, there is no requirement for language test for ONIP nominee. Same reason, ONIP does not require proof of funding and Neither does PR application once you are nominated.
I see. Thank you very much! Wish you all the best!

Renshui

Jul 11, 2022
I see. Thank you very much! Wish you all the best!
Hello, I have the same question in 2022. I think you have become a PR in Canada now. So did you take the language test eventually? Is language score a must for the PR application after being nominated? Thank you very much!