+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! PLEASE IM VERY CONFUSED.dependent child turning 22.

ferlhzn

Dec 17, 2013
Is it the date when we received our AOR the official date when they received our application for PR or is it the date when our PR application landed at CIC, Nova Scotia?

I am confused. Im a dependent child turning 22 this november. And i recently saw a post that says "if they received your application while Im still 21, my age will be lock in during the entire process." And I also saw a post regarding the new definition of dependent child that started effectivelybon January 01,2014.

Please help me.. thank you

2012isdyear

Jan 29, 2012
ferlhzn said:
Is it the date when we received our AOR the official date when they received our application for PR or is it the date when our PR application landed at CIC, Nova Scotia?

I am confused. Im a dependent child turning 22 this november. And i recently saw a post that says "if they received your application while Im still 21, my age will be lock in during the entire process." And I also saw a post regarding the new definition of dependent child that started effectivelybon January 01,2014.

Please help me.. thank you
Lock in date is date of AOR, or Acknowledgement of Receipt of your application. I was able to include my daughter who was 21 at the time of AOR. However, they had requested for additional documents that he was in continues study until that time, 21. I got scared too and was afraid they will not give her PR approval. Her birth month is November as well and my AOR is April. If the principal applicant has not submitted her PR application yet, you better ask your parents to do it ASAP as the ruling to change the age limit for dependants hasnt been imposed yet.

Goodluck.

ferlhzn

Dec 17, 2013
We got our AOR last january 28,2014. So it means that I am still qualified as a dependent. Right? So what if I will work? Will it be okay? Thankyou

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Age of a dependent is locked in on the date that CIC receives a complete application, not the date of AOR. Understand that your age was locked in but your state of dependency was not; that means that if you marry or become common-law prior to the app being approved, you will no longer be a dependent.

The proposed new definition of a dependent child was not enacted. It is still the same that it was before.

ferlhzn

Dec 17, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Age of a dependent is locked in on the date that CIC receives a complete application, not the date of AOR. Understand that your age was locked in but your state of dependency was not; that means that if you marry or become common-law prior to the app being approved, you will no longer be a dependent.

The proposed new definition of a dependent child was not enacted. It is still the same that it was before.

Thank you so much! Things are getting clearer now. Does that mean that I can work and it will not affect our application? Or should I enroll again and have a continuing education? Just want to play it safe. I don't want to be left alone. Thank you again :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ferlhzn said:
Thank you so much! Things are getting clearer now. Does that mean that I can work and it will not affect our application? Or should I enroll again and have a continuing education? Just want to play it safe. I don't want to be left alone. Thank you again :)
You aren't required to stay in education. There is nothing in the regulations to say that you cannot work but ensure that you stay dependent on your parents. There were 2 cases reported on the forum, one a dependent under 22 who started working full-time and wasn't living with the parents and the other a dependent that joined the military; CIC ruled that they were no longer dependents. This was second or third-hand information on the forum but it's something to keep in mind.