+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP Please! Freelancing Online/Starting a Business while on "Student Visa" ?

steakpie

Jul 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
So I will be coming to Canada on a student visa, and according to new rules we can work 10 hours/wk right away without waiting for the 6 months that were on the old rules.

Now,as of now in my home county I freelance online on freelancing sites helping companies with their marketing and handling their marketing for some months,and getting paid in return.

This is via big online freelancing sites ,and I'm very good at my skills and have become much better with time.

----
Question is,
While on a student visa, can I continue this when I enter canada?

Ofcourse this won't come under the 20 hr/wk thingy, that would be some employer recruiting me under his business and that makes my employment legal and under the part time work permit, so that will be another thing.

Is this thing,online freelancing ,allowed when I enter canada?

Need some good experienced advice from you guys,thanks in advance :)

PS: Just as an extra info, in the US this thing is NOT allowed for some reason...wondering what are the rules in Canada.

--------------------------

And heres the Business part of the explanation ,I really hope someone helps me and gets me to a solution here....

Okay guys so I will be coming to canada as an international student (student visa) ,nothing else.

Now ,right now, in my home country I actually teach "Marketing" to people that are interested , online.

And its getting bigger everyday, I'm making some money on the side with this...and the plan was even before I started,and still is, to turn it into a registered company and then teach ,so the reputation stays and grows as the company name ,not as some random guy trying to teach.

SO,my question:

Can I register and run this online business while I land in canada as an "International student" while on my "Student visa" ?

I will have 20 hours of work permit/week but that will be another job I will be taking up granted someone hires me when I reach there.

But,this is an online thing,is it allowed in canada while coming as a student?
I'm not stealing/taking any canadian jobs in the process.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Also,if the answer to this yes,can I open an offline business that sells some physical items? it can be anything...not a business probably but me on a student visa trying to gain some extra cash by buying things for cheap and selling them for higher prices to Canadians - while still working on my 20 hour/week job ,as what I described will be sort of self-employed status and not any employer hiring me to do something.

Help please,any help whatsoever is really appreciated ,thanks a bunch in advance!

slzyoyo

Oct 10, 2014
Hey!
There is this company called central dominion they helped a friend of mine. Try contacting them
www . centraldominion . ca

shaun999

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
April 14
IELTS Request
YES
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Medical Request on May 1st, 2017
Med's Done....
Medical Done on May 2nd, 2017
Interview........
N/NEED
Passport Req..
Sep 29, 2017 and Passport sent on October 2nd, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Got passport back on October 24, 2017.
LANDED..........
Waiting (Anytime on October 24, 2017)
steakpie said:
So I will be coming to Canada on a student visa, and according to new rules we can work 10 hours/wk right away without waiting for the 6 months that were on the old rules.

Now,as of now in my home county I freelance online on freelancing sites helping companies with their marketing and handling their marketing for some months,and getting paid in return.

This is via big online freelancing sites ,and I'm very good at my skills and have become much better with time.

----
Question is,
While on a student visa, can I continue this when I enter canada?

Ofcourse this won't come under the 20 hr/wk thingy, that would be some employer recruiting me under his business and that makes my employment legal and under the part time work permit, so that will be another thing.

Is this thing,online freelancing ,allowed when I enter canada?

Need some good experienced advice from you guys,thanks in advance :)

PS: Just as an extra info, in the US this thing is NOT allowed for some reason...wondering what are the rules in Canada.

--------------------------

And heres the Business part of the explanation ,I really hope someone helps me and gets me to a solution here....

Okay guys so I will be coming to canada as an international student (student visa) ,nothing else.

Now ,right now, in my home country I actually teach "Marketing" to people that are interested , online.

And its getting bigger everyday, I'm making some money on the side with this...and the plan was even before I started,and still is, to turn it into a registered company and then teach ,so the reputation stays and grows as the company name ,not as some random guy trying to teach.

SO,my question:

Can I register and run this online business while I land in canada as an "International student" while on my "Student visa" ?

I will have 20 hours of work permit/week but that will be another job I will be taking up granted someone hires me when I reach there.

But,this is an online thing,is it allowed in canada while coming as a student?
I'm not stealing/taking any canadian jobs in the process.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Also,if the answer to this yes,can I open an offline business that sells some physical items? it can be anything...not a business probably but me on a student visa trying to gain some extra cash by buying things for cheap and selling them for higher prices to Canadians - while still working on my 20 hour/week job ,as what I described will be sort of self-employed status and not any employer hiring me to do something.

Help please,any help whatsoever is really appreciated ,thanks a bunch in advance!

I live in Canada and i am same as you. And the thing is for online income you don't have to have any business permission. Also for Adsense.
Keep working.

lucky_always24

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh Consulate General
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-July-2013 , 28-Nov-2014
IELTS Request
6.5 Bands
Med's Done....
04-06-13, 04-11-14
Passport Req..
With File
VISA ISSUED...
Approved on 11-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
I'm also looking for the answer of this question. But there is no official explanation or rules for freelancer. Canadian government should haven't any kind of objection until the employer is not Canadian.

singh-ak

Sep 18, 2013
You plan to do so many things. Just wondering how will you manage the studies once in Canada.

As far as i know doing online freelance work from Canada on a Study Permit is not allowed :)

lucky_always24

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh Consulate General
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-July-2013 , 28-Nov-2014
IELTS Request
6.5 Bands
Med's Done....
04-06-13, 04-11-14
Passport Req..
With File
VISA ISSUED...
Approved on 11-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
singh-ak said:
You plan to do so many things. Just wondering how will you manage the studies once in Canada.

As far as i know doing online freelance work from Canada on a Study Permit is not allowed :)

There is no official explanation about this, Moreover, There is now way to track down the activities of freelancer because it didn't required SIN to work online.