+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help !! NOC code

can123

Dec 26, 2010
Hi There,

I was wondering if someone could help me identify a NOC code for this job posting. I can't find the right NOC code for this job duties.

*Calculate, peer review and authorize benefit entitlements on retirement, termination, death and marriage breakdown;
* Year-end update of plan records, including the reconciliation of the membership, contributions and trust fund;
* Calculation and review of PAs, PSPAs and PARs and preparation of applicable filing forms;
* Preparation and review of annual pension statements;
* Read and interpret pension plan texts;
* Quality control of year-end data input and verification of computer output;
* Communication with clients regarding data, administration, and interpretation of pension plan text;
* Preparation, review and filing of government forms including Annual Information Return, Form 7 and PBGF forms;
* Attend client meeting in technical support role;
* Liaise with trust company and plan auditors;
* Maintenance of client records; and
* Other duties as required.

Thank you for your help :D

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
It would help to know what kind of company you work for, what your job title is, etc. Are you in Human Resources? A financial services firm?

This is one of those jobs that could be skilled or unskilled. Do you manage/supervise other people? If not, unfortunately, it probably is 1432...

benefits and pension plan officer (REALLY HRSDC? UNSKILLED? REALLY?!?!?!)
1432 Payroll clerks
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=1&val1=1432&val11=pension&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=1&val1=1114&val11=pension&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

manager, pensions and benefits
0112 Human resources managers
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=0&val1=0112&val11=pension&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

administrator, pension plans
0111 Financial managers
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=0&val1=0111&val11=pension+plan+admin&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

compensation and benefits co-ordinator
1121 Human resources professionals
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=1&val1=1121&val11=pension&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

nick22

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
AOR Received.
15-02-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2013
Med's Done....
09-11-2013
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
I have a similar job as a pension analyst in a retirement consulting firm. Could anyone confirm if the NOC code of 0111 is correct? My job description on my employment letter states the following:

1) Performs pension benefit calculations in accordance with plans rules and legislative requirements
2) Applies and interprets pension benefit calculations in accordance with routine plan provisions and legislative requirements
3) Supports the relationship between clients and other members of the consulting team
4) Prepares year end annual pension statements, and membership and asset data for actuarial valuations
5) Reconciles plan assets and memberships

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
nick22 said:
I have a similar job as a pension analyst in a retirement consulting firm. Could anyone confirm if the NOC code of 0111 is correct? My job description on my employment letter states the following:

1) Performs pension benefit calculations in accordance with plans rules and legislative requirements
2) Applies and interprets pension benefit calculations in accordance with routine plan provisions and legislative requirements
3) Supports the relationship between clients and other members of the consulting team
4) Prepares year end annual pension statements, and membership and asset data for actuarial valuations
5) Reconciles plan assets and memberships
Unfortunately, you have one of those positions that could match a skilled or unskilled NOC. It is probably 1432, unless you supervise/manage other people (in which case, that should be the FIRST item in your job description). There is "financial management officer – pension plan analysis" under 1114, but again, it would probably be interpreted as needing to play a managerial role. I don't see it being 0111, that is a director-level position.

You can send your job description to HRSDC and have them determine a probable NOC code. If you do, and they give you a skilled NOC, keep that email/document and include it with your application.

nick22

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
AOR Received.
15-02-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2013
Med's Done....
09-11-2013
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
jes_ON said:
Unfortunately, you have one of those positions that could match a skilled or unskilled NOC. It is probably 1432, unless you supervise/manage other people (in which case, that should be the FIRST item in your job description). There is "financial management officer – pension plan analysis" under 1114, but again, it would probably be interpreted as needing to play a managerial role. I don't see it being 0111, that is a director-level position.

You can send your job description to HRSDC and have them determine a probable NOC code. If you do, and they give you a skilled NOC, keep that email/document and include it with your application.
Thanks for your response. The issue is that I got my application rejected the first time around. The reason it was rejected was because I did not have 1 year of work experience since the date my degree was conferred. I was under the impression that the 1 yr criteria is calculated from the date your post graduate work permit is issued.

In the email I received from CIC regarding the rejection, based on my interpretation, they did recognize my NOC code of 0111. I provided this code previously since one of the job titles under this code (Administrator, Pension Plans) is pretty much what I do. No-where in the email did they state that my NOC code is incorrect so would it be safe to assume that that part of my application was fine? Could someone look at the email I received from CIC, and confirm if my interpretation is correct (see the bold part below):

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the Canadian Experience Class and have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, applicants in the Canadian Experience Class are assessed on the basis of the pass/fail requirements set out in subsection R87.1(2). The assessment of these criteria determines whether a worker with Canadian experience will be able to become economically established in Canada. The criteria are:

· knowledge of English or French,

· Canadian skilled work experience,

· Canadian educational credentials (for the Post-Graduation Stream only).

Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: NOC 0111 Pension analyst.

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement because you do not have at least 12 months of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work experience, in an occupation listed in Skill Type O Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix after having obtained your degree credential. Your graduation certificate states you were conferred your degree on 17 June 2011. From 18 June 2011 to the date before your application for permanent residency, 21 March 2012, you acquired 9 months of full-time work experience.

Subsection 11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(1) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to “this Act” include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada

Red and Black

Mar 12, 2012
nick22 said:
Thanks for your response. The issue is that I got my application rejected the first time around. The reason it was rejected was because I did not have 1 year of work experience since the date my degree was conferred. I was under the impression that the 1 yr criteria is calculated from the date your post graduate work permit is issued.

In the email I received from CIC regarding the rejection, based on my interpretation, they did recognize my NOC code of 0111. I provided this code previously since one of the job titles under this code (Administrator, Pension Plans) is pretty much what I do. No-where in the email did they state that my NOC code is incorrect so would it be safe to assume that that part of my application was fine? Could someone look at the email I received from CIC, and confirm if my interpretation is correct (see the bold part below):

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the Canadian Experience Class and have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, applicants in the Canadian Experience Class are assessed on the basis of the pass/fail requirements set out in subsection R87.1(2). The assessment of these criteria determines whether a worker with Canadian experience will be able to become economically established in Canada. The criteria are:

· knowledge of English or French,

· Canadian skilled work experience,

· Canadian educational credentials (for the Post-Graduation Stream only).

Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: NOC 0111 Pension analyst.

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement because you do not have at least 12 months of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work experience, in an occupation listed in Skill Type O Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix after having obtained your degree credential. Your graduation certificate states you were conferred your degree on 17 June 2011. From 18 June 2011 to the date before your application for permanent residency, 21 March 2012, you acquired 9 months of full-time work experience.

Subsection 11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(1) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to “this Act” include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada
Yes, your interpretation is correct.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
nick22 said:
In the email I received from CIC regarding the rejection, based on my interpretation, they did recognize my NOC code of 0111. I provided this code previously since one of the job titles under this code (Administrator, Pension Plans) is pretty much what I do. No-where in the email did they state that my NOC code is incorrect so would it be safe to assume that that part of my application was fine? (see the bold part below):
[/color]
No, I don't think it would be safe to assume that at all.

It would be nice if you could be sure that any and all problems would have been identified the first time, but all the VO had to do was determine that you had not worked a full year since graduating, and then they could stop assessing your application.

I am concerned about the 0111 code because the other titles in the class include "director," "chief," "controller," and "manager." The very FIRST responsibility in the NOC is "Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operation of an accounting, audit or other financial department." The next is "Develop and implement the financial policies, systems and procedures of an establishment." Nothing in your description matches those responsibilities. If that is what you do, run a department, you should make that very clear, including the number of staff who report to you.

I understand how tough the first refusal was, so I know you want to get this right. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's OK (you know better what you do than I can ever hope to know from a forum posting). I just hope you'll get HRSDC's opinion to make sure the 2nd application isn't derailed by another "technicality." Most people who have asked have gotten a response within 2-3 days...

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also have a question on this matter.
I have been employed in Canada since October 2010 until April 2012 with NOC 2133. Then, i changed job in April (new LMO, new work permit) and now working under NOC 2173.
My new employer made the CEC application for me, (through company lawyers) but in the form, he has put NOC code 2173 for both of my employment periods.
Could this be a problem with a VO?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sashali78 said:
I have been employed in Canada since October 2010 until April 2012 with NOC 2133. Then, i changed job in April (new LMO, new work permit) and now working under NOC 2173.
My new employer made the CEC application for me, (through company lawyers) but in the form, he has put NOC code 2173 for both of my employment periods.
Yes. Ask them to submit a corrected form ASAP.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Yes. Ask them to submit a corrected form ASAP.
I guess i will, that's the safest thing to do. Do i need to wait for AOR for this? or there is a way to update the forms before that?

nick22

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
AOR Received.
15-02-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2013
Med's Done....
09-11-2013
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
jes_ON said:
No, I don't think it would be safe to assume that at all.

It would be nice if you could be sure that any and all problems would have been identified the first time, but all the VO had to do was determine that you had not worked a full year since graduating, and then they could stop assessing your application.

I am concerned about the 0111 code because the other titles in the class include "director," "chief," "controller," and "manager." The very FIRST responsibility in the NOC is "Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operation of an accounting, audit or other financial department." The next is "Develop and implement the financial policies, systems and procedures of an establishment." Nothing in your description matches those responsibilities. If that is what you do, run a department, you should make that very clear, including the number of staff who report to you.

I understand how tough the first refusal was, so I know you want to get this right. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's OK (you know better what you do than I can ever hope to know from a forum posting). I just hope you'll get HRSDC's opinion to make sure the 2nd application isn't derailed by another "technicality." Most people who have asked have gotten a response within 2-3 days...
Thanks for your message jes_ON

I sent an email to HRSDC a couple days back so am hoping to hear from them sometime next week. I have gone through most of the NOC codes and I can't seem to find any that matches my job description well. There is no way the work I do comes under the category of "unskilled", but then again how do I prove that?

I am preparing for the worst case scenario. If HRSDC does come back and tell me that my job description has an unskilled NOC code, what are my options? Can I provide an additional letter from my employer which states that my job is considered "skilled" (assuming my employer is willing to do this)?

I really don't want to go through the nuisance of finding another job just so that it fits a skilled NOC code. That would be pretty ridiculous.

nick22

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
AOR Received.
15-02-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2013
Med's Done....
09-11-2013
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
sashali78 said:
I also have a question on this matter.
Just so that am clear, why would NOC code 2173 be a problem? The second digit of this code is 1 which implies it it Skill Level A which is recognized under CEC. Am I missing something?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
2133 = Electrical and electronics engineers
2173 = Software engineers and designers

It's not like confusing 2173 and 2174 (computer programmers) - these two are very different. Would you want to risk it? (It's possible it could get by, but I think it would have a better chance of approval if the OP sent in a correction).

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
2133 = Electrical and electronics engineers
2173 = Software engineers and designers

It's not like confusing 2173 and 2174 (computer programmers) - these two are very different. Would you want to risk it? (It's possible it could get by, but I think it would have a better chance of approval if the OP sent in a correction).
Apparently, this is not the only issue i have with my application, I also don't have a detailed letter from my previous work stating my duties and responsibilities, just my position title, salary and and starting date. I got this letter in late March before leaving the company and they won't give me a new letter as company merged with another and its totally different entity now so i applied with what i had. My application include this employment confirmation letter, T4 slips, record of employment and all my salary slips - thought this would be enough to prove my eligibility but the latest stream of rejections really scares me...i will try to "beg" again for a detailed letter from a company and will include a NOC change ..i still have a month to AOR so maybe can make it on time...Fortunately, i have all i need from the company i work for now...
i am so tired of those games of cat and mouse. I am late 2007 FSW1 applicant and have my file on hold there too, i was requested to submit full application in December 2010, just a few month before they decided to halt all pre-2008 applications. This is a never ending odyssey for me...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
nick22 said:
I am preparing for the worst case scenario. If HRSDC does come back and tell me that my job description has an unskilled NOC code, what are my options? Can I provide an additional letter from my employer which states that my job is considered "skilled" (assuming my employer is willing to do this)?
Wait and see what HRSDC says. An additional letter from your employer will not help, it's all about the duties/responsibilities.

And unfortunately, the NOC codes can be bizarre for what they consider skilled vs. unskilled...