+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed

sandeep.9683

Sep 6, 2008
Hi I will be going to canada on business visa and will be there for two months, And i want to take my car to canada which is registered in new jersey. Can somebody help me about the legal formalities i need to do to take my car and use there, like any insurance or other things which needs to be taken care too

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ask your insurance company if you are covered in Canada. If not, you can probably add it.

pendergirlie

Aug 30, 2008
I believe insurance companies in the US will cover your car while in Canada
You can inquire - make sure you tell them you are VISITING - I'm not sure I'd tell them you are going for work, as they might interpret this as using your personal use car for work and thereby affecting your premiums

sandeep.9683

Sep 6, 2008
thanks for the replies, I am asked my insurance company. and they are ready to provide me insurance card for 3 months, but not more than that, as their term doesn't allow to cover me for more than 3 months (half the period of my payment cycle) in country other than US.
My problem is that,
If want to bring my car more than 3 month what should i do, i am not sure whether the Canadian insurance company can cover me with US license place and US driving license?
Also till how much period i can drive the US plated car in canada?

thanks
sandeep

travelwestman

Sep 19, 2008
I often drive into the USA from Canada for 6 months at a time. I have additional coverage on my car insurance to cover rentals and my car when out of the country. I would imagine it would be similar for you. Call your insurance company. I tell you this though, don't take a chance and drive over the boarder without knowing. Both sides are very fussy. Make sure you have everything in order. If possible have a document that says you can drive out of the country etc.